ReefCleaners.org

Ridiculous know it all

barelyhuman

On 12/5/2019 at 5:38 AM, barelyhuman said:

Hi everyone it’s not unlike me to rant about something but it’s plain ridiculous how a know it all comments on my post and say that I am wrong 

Backstory: I was helping a friend sell a og bounce because he needed the money for school so I decided do post on Instagram for more exposure. Long story short, this person whom i am not naming decides to butt into my post and declare that it’s not an og bounce since I am from Singapore and after I politely told him that it’s imported, he sarcastically told me ‘sure it was, lol’ . And the worst part is that I actually respected the guy and didn’t realise how dense he was. 😡

Has anyone encountered such behaviour please share your stories and thoughts! Peace.

I’m in the UK, literally nothing in my tank comes from anywhere within 2000 miles (was curious and checked, Bali/Indonesia/Australia are 7000+ miles away, Florida is about 4000 😂😂) from where I sit.

The hobby is global, not regional. He’s an idiot. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rastareefer said:

I’m in the UK, literally nothing in my tank comes from anywhere within 2000 miles (was curious and checked, Bali/Indonesia/Australia are 7000+ miles away, Florida is about 4000 😂😂) from where I sit.

Agreed, there will always be self centered people that think that the world revolves around them and their country only.

• Like 2
On 12/16/2019 at 5:43 AM, patback said:

This sort of stuff I feel like it depends on locality.  I've had green bubbles before, 20 bucks for a baseball sized, and last time I was looking around at coral, they were still selling at my lfs for 40-60 bucks for a nice sized mini colony.  

Now purple on the otherhand.... I've never even heard of purple. Do you have a pic of those?

One of my LFSes has two varieties - neon green and purple/green (dual-colored). The purplelish variety is cheaper than the neon one here though. But it's incredibly pretty. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rastareefer said:

What are LFS like your way? Mine are going downhill rapidly unless I want to go to Maidenhead Aquatics 💩

Poor and getting poorer, tanks usually overrun with aiptasia, hair algae or worse. Very limited selection of frags (mostly due to export bans according to the owners - I personally think it has more to do with the rise of hobbyists selling better corals online) and the usual (but again, limited) range of fish. Same collection - clowns and fancy clowns, few fire fish, mix of the more boring gobies and a bunch of damsels. 

I haven’t been to the bigger, more established outlets in the UK like the Abyss but thinking I’ll go to one to stock my new tank when I upgrade. Seems like shops here are struggling.

• Like 1
On 12/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, barelyhuman said:

Agreed, there will always be self centered people that think that the world revolves around them and their country only.

I will borrow this quote..." it is best to keep our mouth shut and let people think we are fools, than to open them and remove all doubt"

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rastareefer said:

Poor and getting poorer, tanks usually overrun with aiptasia, hair algae or worse. Very limited selection of frags (mostly due to export bans according to the owners - I personally think it has more to do with the rise of hobbyists selling better corals online) and the usual (but again, limited) range of fish. Same collection - clowns and fancy clowns, few fire fish, mix of the more boring gobies and a bunch of damsels. 

I haven’t been to the bigger, more established outlets in the UK like the Abyss but thinking I’ll go to one to stock my new tank when I upgrade. Seems like shops here are struggling.

I only pre order fish through my LFS now, everything else comes mostly from fellow reefers now

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I only pre order fish through my LFS now, everything else comes mostly from fellow reefers now

Seems like a good shout, I’ve had mixed luck so far with LFS purchases, though nothing has actually died on me yet so I can’t complain too much I guess.