Pod Your Reef

Ridiculous know it all

barelyhuman

Hi everyone it’s not unlike me to rant about something but it’s plain ridiculous how a know it all comments on my post and say that I am wrong 

Backstory: I was helping a friend sell a og bounce because he needed the money for school so I decided do post on Instagram for more exposure. Long story short, this person whom i am not naming decides to butt into my post and declare that it’s not an og bounce since I am from Singapore and after I politely told him that it’s imported, he sarcastically told me ‘sure it was, lol’ . And the worst part is that I actually respected the guy and didn’t realise how dense he was. 😡

Has anyone encountered such behaviour please share your stories and thoughts! Peace.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, barelyhuman said:

Hi everyone it’s not unlike me to rant about something but it’s plain ridiculous how a know it all comments on my post and say that I am wrong 

Backstory: I was helping a friend sell a og bounce because he needed the money for school so I decided do post on Instagram for more exposure. Long story short, this person whom i am not naming decides to butt into my post and declare that it’s not an og bounce since I am from Singapore and after I politely told him that it’s imported, he sarcastically told me ‘sure it was, lol’ . And the worst part is that I actually respected the guy and didn’t realise how dense he was. 😡

Has anyone encountered such behaviour please share your stories and thoughts! Peace.

Hi - from Malaysia here (we're neighbors!). 🙂

I've encountered similar experiences before ('the-whole-you're-from-XXX-so-there-is-no-way-you-can-have-that-original-coral/item etc.')- but the best way to deal with people like these is just to ignore them and continue reefing. There will always be naysayers who won't believe you, and you'll waste time trying to convince them otherwise. Plus, social media apps like Facebook and Instagram are hot spots for trolling. It's normal, and people are always more comfortable tearing another person down when they're hidden behind their PC. The internet is anonymous for the most part, remember? :wink:

Don't give in to the butthead. Just keep selling off that og bounce, and good luck with your sale!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, barelyhuman said:

Yes many times in multiple Hobbies. It is why I very rarely post outside of here or Instagram!

Currently being told that I shouldn't run T5's if I want to keep Corals :haha:

F#ck em and their opinion

• Haha 5
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That's strange. I used to run T5s for a 30G mixed reef years ago and my corals were fine. 🤔

They'll tell me that MH dont work either next 🙄

I'm not interested in the equipment looking cool as long as the livestock thrives

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

lol clearly that individual hasn't been in the hobby very long.. T5s were the go to for affordably only a few years ago. Though I don't miss 'em 😉

• Like 1

I had another Hobbyist, that came over. First thing he said was my Aquarium was not less than 40 days old, more like a year and 40 days old. I told him what had been transferred, and the history. Then he knocked my LED Lights. The Strips are in a PVC Rain Gutter, said it was going to poison the tank. He knocked my sump set up,  and my refugium set up. The  Refugium only runs to tank at night. Of course he wanted some of my Corals, since they were going to die anyway. Glad I found out about him, as I needed someone to come in Twice a week to take care of my Aquarium, after my surgery. 

• Like 1

just post a laughing face to everything they say but don't respond... it will eat away at them on the inside and they will lose sleep thinking about it at night.

I like to have my enemies mentally wither away slowly... 😈

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
36 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

just post a laughing face to everything they say but don't respond... it will eat away at them on the inside and they will lose sleep thinking about it at night.

note to self, getting a laughing face from you is a bad sign 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

60A64413-CFB6-4EB3-B525-7CA8EFA0EFAC.gif.dea98cacbe6277f46a9afe0642fc17cb.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

People aren't particularly clever or well-mannered little monkeys on average, I wouldn't take it personally, the sad reality is we're all likely to end up being the ones on the other-side-of-the-fence, so to speak, at some point in our lives. Just keep a level-perspective on things and don't let it get in the way of your enjoying the hobby.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

note to self, getting a laughing face from you is a bad sign 🤣

That's what I do. I kept sending smileys to someone who clearly didn't know what they were talking about and even with supported evidence. 

Just know you can raise yourself esteem knowing you're right and their wrong living their sad little lives.

Im harsh that way tho 😘

• Like 2
On 12/5/2019 at 4:13 PM, Snow_Phoenix said:

Hi - from Malaysia here (we're neighbors!). 🙂

I've encountered similar experiences before ('the-whole-you're-from-XXX-so-there-is-no-way-you-can-have-that-original-coral/item etc.')- but the best way to deal with people like these is just to ignore them and continue reefing. There will always be naysayers who won't believe you, and you'll waste time trying to convince them otherwise. Plus, social media apps like Facebook and Instagram are hot spots for trolling. It's normal, and people are always more comfortable tearing another person down when they're hidden behind their PC. The internet is anonymous for the most part, remember? :wink:

Don't give in to the butthead. Just keep selling off that og bounce, and good luck with your sale!

Well hello neighbour! Thank you for the kind encouragement! I definitely agree with you about the trolling part , because I have been trolled so many times before but this person was very hao Lian about his knowledge. I just wonder why so many companies sponsor him when others are more deserving of it

10 hours ago, Matteo said:

That's what I do. I kept sending smileys to someone who clearly didn't know what they were talking about and even with supported evidence. 

Just know you can raise yourself esteem knowing you're right and their wrong living their sad little lives.

Im harsh that way tho 😘

10 hours ago, Matteo said:

Im harsh that way tho 😘

Man why are you so savage 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, DSA65PRO said:

I had another Hobbyist, that came over. First thing he said was my Aquarium was not less than 40 days old, more like a year and 40 days old. I told him what had been transferred, and the history. Then he knocked my LED Lights. The Strips are in a PVC Rain Gutter, said it was going to poison the tank. He knocked my sump set up,  and my refugium set up. The  Refugium only runs to tank at night. Of course he wanted some of my Corals, since they were going to die anyway. Glad I found out about him, as I needed someone to come in Twice a week to take care of my Aquarium, after my surgery. 

Sounds like your round of the mill know it all

• Like 1
On 12/5/2019 at 4:53 PM, Ratvan said:

Yes many times in multiple Hobbies. It is why I very rarely post outside of here or Instagram!

F#ck em and their opinion

Hol up who told you that? That is so dumb it’s funny 😂 

Just now, barelyhuman said:

Hol up who told you that? That is so dumb it’s funny 😂 

A Reefer on another forum, my default responce is

"oh no! why? 😱" to pretty much everything they say

Keeps the boring work days more entertaining

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, barelyhuman said:

By the way, what tanks do y’all run? I am currently running a IM Nuvo 10 

CEC14F87-4EF5-4E26-96AE-1BE66CAAB433.jpeg

Awww man, this is exactly the setup I wanted to work out in my IM atoll, absolutely love it...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

A Reefer on another forum, my default responce is

"oh no! why? 😱" to pretty much everything they say

Keeps the boring work days more entertaining

That’s so true don’t let the negativity bring you down:)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yea i had people like this.

For example green bubble corals are one of the more harder to find bubbles at least in the states.  They are also very expensive.   Ive seen some locally go for 400-600$ for baseball sized ones.  Online 6 inch bubbles go for about the same price.

I mentioned i bought a green grape bubble for 200$ and i had a 20% off coupon i saved and it came to 160$ .  Guess how big my green bubble is ?  Its the size of a basketball.   I mentioned in my post i got really lucky and i mentioned how green bubbles are veey expensive.

Along comes this jerk and litterally starts attacking me saying they arent rare. They can easily be found my size and for 100$ or so.

Total jerk..  I had enough of his atta ks and i defended myself and got banned for it but i dont care i dont like personal attacks.  Nore people who try to tell me otherwise on prices when ive seen the pri es first hand and online for this particular coral.

You might be able to find a green bubble the size of your palm for 100$ but not a basketball sized one.   Usually the purplish grape bubbles the size of you palm go for 50$.  Like the smaller ones in my pic here.. look at the size diff.. those purple ones i got from ora for 60$ what makes you think my green bubble 20x the size will only go for 100$ lol

Anyway   

20191006_155358.jpg

2 hours ago, Candymancan said:

Yea i had people like this.

For example green bubble corals are one of the more harder to find bubbles at least in the states.  They are also very expensive.   Ive seen some locally go for 400-600$ for baseball sized ones.  Online 6 inch bubbles go for about the same price.

I mentioned i bought a green grape bubble for 200$ and i had a 20% off coupon i saved and it came to 160$ .  Guess how big my green bubble is ?  Its the size of a basketball.   I mentioned in my post i got really lucky and i mentioned how green bubbles are veey expensive.

Along comes this jerk and litterally starts attacking me saying they arent rare. They can easily be found my size and for 100$ or so.

Total jerk..  I had enough of his atta ks and i defended myself and got banned for it but i dont care i dont like personal attacks.  Nore people who try to tell me otherwise on prices when ive seen the pri es first hand and online for this particular coral.

You might be able to find a green bubble the size of your palm for 100$ but not a basketball sized one.   Usually the purplish grape bubbles the size of you palm go for 50$.  Like the smaller ones in my pic here.. look at the size diff.. those purple ones i got from ora for 60$ what makes you think my green bubble 20x the size will only go for 100$ lol

Anyway   

20191006_155358.jpg

This sort of stuff I feel like it depends on locality.  I've had green bubbles before, 20 bucks for a baseball sized, and last time I was looking around at coral, they were still selling at my lfs for 40-60 bucks for a nice sized mini colony.  

Now purple on the otherhand.... I've never even heard of purple. Do you have a pic of those?

• Like 1
On 12/5/2019 at 12:38 AM, barelyhuman said:

...and declare that it’s not an og bounce since I am from Singapore and after I politely told him that it’s imported, he sarcastically told me ‘sure it was, lol’ . And the worst part is that I actually respected the guy and didn’t realise how dense he was. 😡

I would have just poked holes in his logic and responded with, "you will learn someday that with $$$, anything is possible, such as owning an og bounce in Singapore."

Personally though, I believe people when they say they paid a lot for X coral.  The fact that I paid $30 for a weed coral like Xenia and $50 for a rock of GSP that grows like crazy makes me sick knowing many people just throw these corals away when they overpopulate in their aquariums.

2 hours ago, patback said:

This sort of stuff I feel like it depends on locality.  I've had green bubbles before, 20 bucks for a baseball sized, and last time I was looking around at coral, they were still selling at my lfs for 40-60 bucks for a nice sized mini colony.  

Now purple on the otherhand.... I've never even heard of purple. Do you have a pic of those?

Look at my pic i habe two purples bottom right corner. And a pink pearl bubble above those two.  I have 3 diff color bubbles