Pod Your Reef

RODI Buddie: how to deal with waste water?

Amaleec

Hello everyone! I just got my new RODI buddie, and love it. It’s very simple and easy it is to use. But there’s a lot of waste water being produced and at such a slow rate! Would I be able to attach another DI membrane and attach tubing to that instead of the “waste” tubing? I live in Florida and we use the well water in my house, it already uses an RO system to it. I’m unable to check for TDS. But that’s about all I know. Thoughts?

Do you mean re- running the waste water through another di membrane?

It would need to go through the complete system again and not sure how that can be done.

Some people reuse the waste water for other purposes like watering plants, washing things, etc.

It's really important to have a tds meter, it's one of the ways to know you have little to no levels in your water as well as when to change your filters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Amaleec said:

Why is the waste water produced? Why’s it constituted as “waste”?

It’s just how the ro system works, it’s considered waste water since it has the majority of the impurities that the source water had originally, if not more concentrated than the original source water.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

You could get a RO/DI Booster Pump, and adjust the pressure to 80 PSI. That will cut your waste water, and increase your output. I'm on a well too and the 36 to 56 lbs wasn't enough pressure. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ditto to above -- get a TDS meter of some kind.  They are not expensive.

It's possible you don't even need the "buddy" system you're using, depending on how the house's unit is set up.  You might only need to add a DI phase to it.

Would you be able to install a tee into the house's existing RO system?   I'd guess that the RO water you're making for the house is possibly re-chlorinated for safety, perhaps other processes as well....none of which you'd want to be involved with water for your reef.

But if you can Tee the house RO unit's output and send it to your own new DI filter, that should remove any remaining TDS and give you good reef water.   Bye Bye "Buddy"!

• Wow 1
On 1/11/2020 at 6:34 AM, Amaleec said:

Thank you everyone! It turns out where I live there’s a small reefing community and a fellow reefer sells me water for like $.50 a gallon. ☺️

Depending on the size of your tank and the frequency water changes that can get expensive. Plus

the driving back and fourth to the source and the jugs you will need. In the long run adding the DI option as well as the booster

pump would be a better solution. I'm also on a well and was doing the buying of water. It gets real old quickly ,having to go out and get water.

The tds meter is a must even for the store brought water. You need to know what your getting.