Pod Your Reef

Translucent tubes?

NaturallyKait

NaturallyKait

I noticed these things on my rocks the last couple of days. They’re translucent, and soft enough that they flow in current. If they somehow get detached they just float around, but they’re pretty solidly attached. These are the best photos I could get, it’s really hard because of how close to clear they are. 

DF29E140-682B-4ABF-9706-EE7A3B0E7D80.thumb.jpeg.a137b05061d291a8d20b9b75320f80e4.jpeg

C5605EC2-F5C6-468C-8FD2-9FBAA6E4AF30.thumb.jpeg.f8b95251435f4049b4a117d2602285e2.jpeg

ECD55CA6-032C-4C58-9BA8-C3F4032477B2.thumb.jpeg.0727d3a86b9a323d78429eab37ed2be4.jpeg

CA7DF748-8360-4438-881A-7D109AEF6583.jpeg

NaturallyKait
Just now, Tired said:

Are you sure they're hollow? 

Do they respond at all to touch? 

Best guess is either some kind of sponge, or dead bits of macroalgae.

I can’t say for sure if they’re hollow. They’re not very easy to see. No response to touch. 

• 2 weeks later...
NaturallyKait
5 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Are they green?   There are green algae that look sorta like that.  (Name escaping me...)

No, there’s no colour to them at all. They’re almost completely clear. 

NaturallyKait
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Then my guess is worms of some type.   Could be wrong...  😉 

Whatever they are they haven’t hurt anything. They don’t move except for to sway in the flow. 

NaturallyKait
Just now, Tired said:

Worms would retract if bothered, as would most animals except for sponges.

That was my thought and these don’t react to anything really. 

If they haven't grown in any color by now, I'd say sponges. Algae would either vanish or grow its color back to photosynthesize. Sponges are harmless enough, though some can eventually overgrow corals if given the chance. Just tweeze 'em out if you have more than you like for aesthetic purposes. Though a lot of them could be beneficial in that sponges (or at least some species, not sure about all) use up silicates, which dinos need.

NaturallyKait
2 minutes ago, Tired said:

If they haven't grown in any color by now, I'd say sponges. Algae would either vanish or grow its color back to photosynthesize. Sponges are harmless enough, though some can eventually overgrow corals if given the chance. Just tweeze 'em out if you have more than you like for aesthetic purposes. Though a lot of them could be beneficial in that sponges (or at least some species, not sure about all) use up silicates, which dinos need.

Nope, they haven’t really changed much at all honestly. No growth or colour changes, and there’s only a few of them. I do have my fair share of GHA right now, and this doesn’t seem like algae at all. Sponge seems more accurate. 

Tunicata sp. a good sign of a healthy aquarium. Also look for Spaghetti worms, and small feather duster worms, as other good signs of health. IMO, when you get a good growth of the above, cut way back on your filtration, strain the water, don't filter, or do a large bypass on your Filter socks. Do a dark stinky skim, too.