Pod Your Reef

6 Months of ZERO Growth...please help!

falcooo

Hi everyone! I’m reaching out because back in May I set up a 5g pico reef for my girlfriend. I have preached patience from the beginning but honestly 6-months in with no growth whatsoever I am extremely confused and perplexed by this tank. The tank is a fluval 5, us current marine light, upgraded return pump with RFG nozzle, ATO, and media basket. I really thought this was going to be a great simple softie tank setup, but with not a single new polyp in months I don’t know what to do. My first approach was slow and steady with livestock, but after reading 0 nitrates/phosphates steady I decided to feed extra, still 0, added 1 fish, still 0, added a second fish and still over feeding...nitrates still 0. No removal media, no skimmer, and I have recently abandoned the chemi pure blue I swear by in my 10g tank. I have even only been doing WC’s every 2-3 weeks now. This seems to crazy to me that the water is this clean.  I purchase ME Coral nitrate to start dosing nitrates and beginning slow with that to try and slowly raise to 5 but am struggling with that even. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any questions I am happy to answer. Any and all input is appreciated. The lack of growth and total discouraging nature of this tank has really turned her off from enjoying the tank as much as she did initially and as much as she does mine. Thanks!!

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

What are you feeding? 

Mixtures of ReefRoids, live Phyto, macro/pod mix...and pellets

Also, note the tank is mainly zoas, a few euphyllia, and some ricordeas.

Poison Dart Frog

Do you have any algae growth? Also maybe those are slow growing corals and you wont notice the rate of growth as much as you would with something like leathers. 

Zero nitrate seems weird though. I have that same tank with just 1 fish and I feed sparingly but my nitrates are usually 20 or higher when it's time to do the weekly water change. 

• Like 1

I have actually used frozen foods sporadically too, but really not often. They’re mainly zoas, so I feel like I should see a new polyp here or there...and I do even have a Kenya tree leather in there that has also been at a standstill.

I haven’t attempted dosing directly to 5 yet. I’ve dosed the appropriate dose to raise 1 ppm each day the past 4 days. Still reading 0 as of yesterday.

Check that your test kit isn't messed up.

Next, for enjoyment, get something fast-growing. Fairy dust palys, I'm told, are borderline invasive. GSP looks great, you could isolate that on something. 

Try frozen foods for a bit, juice included. 

• Like 2

Most of the corals you have are things that enjoy larger food than phyto, I think. Heck, LPS can be target-fed entire mysis. 

I've never heard of a macro/pod mix food. What is it? 

Try some LRS nano. I feed some live foods but they seem very 'clean' and not wasteful. You may actually want to get some more dirtier juicy foods in there.

I fed an entire thawed cube of PE Mysis last night. Most of which didn’t get consumed and sucked on the intake. I figured I’d let it sit and test and clean off tonight. 

I’m using Salifert test kits and LFS uses API.

• Like 2

What are the lights set at.

Seems odd that you'd have no nutrients but I struggled to keep nutrients in my tank and that was with only carbon and floss use. I couldn't figure out why my nitrates were 2 at best and 0 phos.

I had to feed quite heavily and stop waterchanges before mine changed.

• Like 1