SaltCritters.com

What the heck are these inverts?!

jcrisman2009

First is an anemone. Maybe monajo, but I'm not sure. Okay for now if it's isolated. 

Second, several things. The minty ones are colonial hydroids. They shouldn't be an issue, most corals can overgrow them, but they'll likely spread. The white thing tucked into the hole in the rock behind them is the feeding crown of a feather duster worm, a harmless filter-feeder. The green globes are bubble algae, which you should remove, preferably without popping them if you can to help keep them from spreading.

Third looks like a gorilla crab. Gets big and destructive. Great for your fuge/sump if you want to keep a neat crab, bad for your display tank. Give it away, sump it, or kill it humanely (crush it in one go with a hammer or such), up to you. Don't flush or freeze it.

Fourth is a kinda pissed-off mushroom coral. Those can get a little bit invasive, but mostly people keep them on purpose. 

Five and six are bivalves, something like clams. Filter-feeders again, sometimes difficult to keep happy in a young tank. If they gape open and don't shut when touched, they're dead, take 'em out. Harmless unless they die and rot. 

Seventh is another mushroom coral, maybe a different color variety. Also more feather dusters, and some kind of algae. Looks like some kind of hair algae. Increase snails to eat it. If they don't take it out quick, cut it down to a short length so it's easier for them to eat, then put them on top of it so they'll know to come here for algae.

Eighth looks like some sort of anemone. Not one I'm familiar with, and definitely not one of the "big two" pests. Or it might be a LPS coral. A pic from the top down would be good. Likely to be harmless. 

Ninth looks like probably more colonial hydroids. Harmless again.

• Like 4

I found out what this one is! It's a Pseudocorynactis! It's a type of mushroom coral or as i like to call a mushemone!

20191202_193520.jpg

Edited by jcrisman2009
For more clarification
  • Like 1

Ah, that's what you wanted IDed in that pic! I didn't even see it. Nice find. 

I think they're discosoma mushrooms. AFAIK, you can't reliably get down to species level for mushroom corals in aquaria, only genus. That's one level above species. You know how Latin names are like Nameosomething namesunius, two parts? Genus level is the first part, species is the second. 

14 minutes ago, Tired said:

Ah, that's what you wanted IDed in that pic! I didn't even see it. Nice find. 

I think they're discosoma mushrooms. AFAIK, you can't reliably get down to species level for mushroom corals in aquaria, only genus. That's one level above species. You know how Latin names are like Nameosomething namesunius, two parts? Genus level is the first part, species is the second. 

I did make up my own name for it! I call it Toadus mushroomis lol

20191202_193555.jpg

2 hours ago, jcrisman2009 said:

I did make up my own name for it! I call it Toadus mushroomis lol

20191202_193555.jpg

It does look like a discosoma, a standard one like the red, blue, or purple ones that are common in the hobby. It doesn't look like a neglecta (get huge) or a carlgreni, and it's not a St. Thomas. I don't remember the species name of these off the top of my head lol.

On 12/1/2019 at 9:48 PM, Tired said:

First is an anemone. Maybe monajo, but I'm not sure. Okay for now if it's isolated. 

Second, several things. The minty ones are colonial hydroids. They shouldn't be an issue, most corals can overgrow them, but they'll likely spread. The white thing tucked into the hole in the rock behind them is the feeding crown of a feather duster worm, a harmless filter-feeder. The green globes are bubble algae, which you should remove, preferably without popping them if you can to help keep them from spreading.

Third looks like a gorilla crab. Gets big and destructive. Great for your fuge/sump if you want to keep a neat crab, bad for your display tank. Give it away, sump it, or kill it humanely (crush it in one go with a hammer or such), up to you. Don't flush or freeze it.

Fourth is a kinda pissed-off mushroom coral. Those can get a little bit invasive, but mostly people keep them on purpose. 

Five and six are bivalves, something like clams. Filter-feeders again, sometimes difficult to keep happy in a young tank. If they gape open and don't shut when touched, they're dead, take 'em out. Harmless unless they die and rot. 

Seventh is another mushroom coral, maybe a different color variety. Also more feather dusters, and some kind of algae. Looks like some kind of hair algae. Increase snails to eat it. If they don't take it out quick, cut it down to a short length so it's easier for them to eat, then put them on top of it so they'll know to come here for algae.

Eighth looks like some sort of anemone. Not one I'm familiar with, and definitely not one of the "big two" pests. Or it might be a LPS coral. A pic from the top down would be good. Likely to be harmless. 

Ninth looks like probably more colonial hydroids. Harmless again.

Here's a pic of the critter you was needing a top down shot of! Is it toxic?

20191203_095619.jpg

That's not really much help. By top down, I mean from the top, so you can see what the disc looks like. It would also be good if you could poke it with a turkey baster or other probe and take a clear picture of what it looks like closed up. 

It might be a palythoas coral. In which case, it's toxic, but all you have to do is not touch it with bare hands. Which you shouldn't do anyway, with any corals, and preferably not with anything in the tank that might be even remotely sharp. Like rocks.

• Like 1