ReefCleaners.org

P. wingei, Endler's livebearers, in reefs

Tired

I've been doing some reading, and apparently people convert guppies, and endlers, to full saltwater sometimes. Anyone on here have any long-term experience doing that? 

I think I'd like to try it once my tank is ready for fish. What pattern/coloration should I try? All males, so they can't breed. I'm thinking maybe the yellow-and-black ones would look nice, or a mix. 

How many seems reasonable for a 4.5gal with plenty of macroalgae? 

Do they pick at corals excessively? I know they graze, I assume they'd nip now and then, but do they do any actual damage to zoas and the like? 

(Edit: hm, on second thought, I'm probably not going to do this. The tank is a bit too small for them motion-wise, I think, and I'm worried about them nipping my rock flower anemones and getting stung in the face.)

• Like 1

Definitely read a few oldschool threads of folks breeding them in saltwater, supposedly the endler's take to it quite-well and even live slightly-longer, never saw anything about nipping corals though. I agree that 4.5 might be a little on the small-side for them, however folks have absolutely kept a couple endlers in 5gallons before.

I may have to look at some endlers in person, see how they move. I know people can keep them in tiny tanks and not have them die or maul each other, but I'm not sure it's anywhere near ideal. From what I remember, they're pretty speedy lil fellas. 

Though I am, again, very worried about them with my RFAs. I know they taste things, and I can't imagine it would go well for the fish if one tasted a RFA. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tired said:

I may have to look at some endlers in person, see how they move. I know people can keep them in tiny tanks and not have them die or maul each other, but I'm not sure it's anywhere near ideal. From what I remember, they're pretty speedy lil fellas. 

Though I am, again, very worried about them with my RFAs. I know they taste things, and I can't imagine it would go well for the fish if one tasted a RFA. 

oh good point!  the tank I was thinking thay could go in is my RFA tank 21 of them sooooo maybe not risk it. 

I mean Rfa's have pretty weak stings, unless the fish is already extremely stressed or dying I can't imagine it would be a problem. Not wanting to keep them in a 5 gallon I respect, that's 100% your call.

I need to go see some endlers in person at my LFS, see how they behave. Do they move around in and out of nooks and crannies, exploring, or do they like to just go back and forth? If they like nooks and crannies and things to look at, they'd probably be OK in a small tank. But if they like to zoom, they definitely need something a bit over 5 gallons. 

My RFAs curl up pretty fast. I don't know that they'd catch an endler, but I'm worried they'd sting it up pretty badly, and I'd hate to have an endler suffering because it tasted the wrong thing. The sting must have some effect on fish.

I think aquarium COOP on youtube has a few videos about endlers, they're super-hardy guppies and behave pretty-much the same from my understanding, not exactly zooming around the tank but definitely scoot about pretty-well. Can't really comment further on the RFA's, my understanding is they're about as harmless as any stinging cnidarian can get and I never really found all that much information about mollies or guppies getting stung in particular - chances are they won't taste it again if it does sting them.

• Like 1