DailynJ

Dailyn's Biocube 32

DailynJ

On Saturday (four days ago), I dosed 2ppm of Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and added an entire small bottle of biospira. I'm happy to see the cycle progressing so quickly. I've only ever done cycles in freshwater where I put in food to make the ammonia and dosed daily bacterial supplements. 

IMG_7248.thumb.jpg.c710b5baebca7e832432e0c44aa30daa.jpg

• Like 2

WV Reefer
26 minutes ago, DailynJ said:

Do you have them with fish and other inverts or in a species only tank?

Mine are in with a clownfish and a wrasse and several random inverts.  

• Like 2

DailynJ

I tested the levels today and the ammonia was at one and the nitrite was almost at one. My nitrate has stayed constant for the last few days. Could denitrification already be happening? In a couple of days I’m going to redose 2ppm of ammonium chloride to make sure the cycle is actually ready and hopefully get fish a little white after that! What are the best ways to remove the high nitrate in the tank now? Run the skimmer?

banasophia
23 minutes ago, DailynJ said:

I tested the levels today and the ammonia was at one and the nitrite was almost at one. My nitrate has stayed constant for the last few days. Could denitrification already be happening? In a couple of days I’m going to redose 2ppm of ammonium chloride to make sure the cycle is actually ready and hopefully get fish a little white after that! What are the best ways to remove the high nitrate in the tank now? Run the skimmer?

It wouldn’t be denitrifying yet... you would just do a water change to lower your nitrates if needed. 

• Like 1

Frag Factory

Your tank won't be processing nitrate for a while yet, that's a process that can tank months and even when people claim it happens, it's just more likely that nitrate is being consumed by coral and algae rather than denitrification.

Nitrate will show up soon, when your tanks done cycling nitrate will be quite high, probably 20ppm if not more. The solution is dilution, do a large water change the day before you plan to add your first livestock. 75% or more will be ideal.