ReefCleaners.org

"Dead bit of algae" tubeworm.

Tired

I've got this funky little tubeworm in my tank, sticking out of a hole in the rock. I thought it was some sort of dead macroalgae stem at first, except that the brown bit inside moves. Yesterday I finally got a pic of it extended. 

It's a semi-transparent tube, about half an inch long. I assume more worm is in the rock. The dark brown worm inside moves up and down, and the tube, whenever the worm has retracted into the rock, collapses shut and folds up instead of staying open and full of water.  I think it shuts the end of the tube behind itself somehow. It doesn't move beyond extension and retraction, and startles very easily. 

I assume this is a tubeworm, at least. Never seen one like this. It definitely has that ring of 'tentacles' like tubeworms do, and doesn't wave them like a weird barnacle or make a mucus net like a snail. 

image0.jpg?width=473&height=630image1.jpg?width=473&height=630

image0.jpg?width=473&height=630

• Like 1

Definitely seems to be a small feather duster worm! I remember getting a few of these as hitchhikers on some macroalgae way back in the early days of my tank. They didn't end up surviving, but I thought they were super cool. Nice find!

Remind me, did you use maricultured live rock to start your tank? Seems like you are always finding all sorts of cool hitchhikers.

I got some of the rock that was left in the ocean for a few years, then pulled back out. I also have a rock from someone else's tank that they broke down, which I think is where I got the berghia nudibranch, and this rock is a frag that I bought at my LFS.

I've never seen one with a tube like this. I hope I didn't damage the tube any- I actually lifted this frag by that tube at one point, while the worm was fully retracted (not at all in the tube), because I thought it was just seaweed. It seems to be fine, at least.

• Like 1