Cultivated Reef

long nose butterfly should i put him in my main tank ?

Candymancan

I bought a long nose butterfly fish 10 days ago.  They cant handle hyposalinity. I killed one doing that in the past.  He had ich on him.  Ive been doing tank transfer for 8 days now.  But instead of moving him every 72 hrs i did it daily.  In a clean container. 

The only problem with this is hes too stressed to eat.  Some fish eat during TT some dont. I know he eats mysis but hes very finicky.  He hasnt eaten in 9 days now.  So to be honest i want to take him out of tank transfer and put him in my main system. 

I havent seen ich on him in 4 days now.  Hes been spot free for awhile now.  Normally id continue for 13 days at least. Or do hyposalinity on a fish for 4 weeks but yea.

My tank had 5 tangs and other various fish its a 135 gallon tank.  Pretty mature over a year old.  Obviously i DO NOT want ich in the tank as that would be a nightmare.  And yes i dont have ich in it as i have done hypo on the main system a year ago.. and treated every fish i bought and coral in a fallow tank.

But yea, its a risk..  so i dunno what to do.  The butterfly fish is getting a little skinny. I suppose i could wait a few days more but i dont wanna kill him from starvation.

What would you guys do ?

2 hours ago, Candymancan said:

I bought a long nose butterfly fish 10 days ago.  They cant handle hyposalinity. I killed one doing that in the past.  He had ich on him.  Ive been doing tank transfer for 8 days now.  But instead of moving him every 72 hrs i did it daily.  In a clean container. 

The only problem with this is hes too stressed to eat.  Some fish eat during TT some dont. I know he eats mysis but hes very finicky.  He hasnt eaten in 9 days now.  So to be honest i want to take him out of tank transfer and put him in my main system. 

I havent seen ich on him in 4 days now.  Hes been spot free for awhile now.  Normally id continue for 13 days at least. Or do hyposalinity on a fish for 4 weeks but yea.

My tank had 5 tangs and other various fish its a 135 gallon tank.  Pretty mature over a year old.  Obviously i DO NOT want ich in the tank as that would be a nightmare.  And yes i dont have ich in it as i have done hypo on the main system a year ago.. and treated every fish i bought and coral in a fallow tank.

But yea, its a risk..  so i dunno what to do.  The butterfly fish is getting a little skinny. I suppose i could wait a few days more but i dont wanna kill him from starvation.

What would you guys do ?

Have you tried live black worms? I would be trying better foods to get him eating. If you only did 8 days of TTM, you need to finish it. I wouldn't put a potential ich fish in with 4 tangs. 

Hopefully the tangs don't kick his ass. 

• Like 2

I put him in the main tank.  Took the risk.  I havent seen ich on him or my fish. Been 4 days now.  With ichs life cycle and my own experience id see it by day 2 or 3.  So im fairly confident i got lucky.

He is skin and bones and its too stressfull for fish to wanna eat specoslly picky eaters when doing tsnk transfer.. 2 weeks is ok if they are fat but i got him skinny so i didnt wanna wait too long.  In 20 years ive seen how far fieh can go before they just give up eating all together.

Anyway more time will make me feel safer but i think im in the clear.  Anyway ive been feeding mysis. Emerald entrea. Formula one, pellets, omega one marine flakes.

Dont care if it rises my nitrates from dumping so much food in but i need to get him to eat.

He finally started eating today.. the first 4 days he was pecking at my rocks and he did grab amphipods in the am and at night.  But now he ate like 30 small peices of mysis from the emerald entrea/and plain mysis cubes.

He wont touch formula one frozen and tbh neither will my other fish and i have some fat fish.   I think the Gel in formula one makes em stick their noses at it. Even when broken up.

Anyway im happy. Im sure with more time hell start eating the more nutritious flakes i feed vs soley mysis.emerald entrea.

As for aggression.. the tangs couldnt careless about him cept maybe the sailfin but only for a split second.   The one who was giving him real issues the first 3 days was the flame angel and no real bad physical contact was made. Was interesting to see the defense mechanism on the long nose he swims like upside down pointing his spikes out..  

Now i have maybe a mild aggression from the flame angel but nothing im worried about itll stop in more time.  He just swims around and no one cares.   My tangs really arent mean,  powder brown, naso, sailfin, tomini, and yellow tang.  Everyone litterally just chills.   Some may frown at 5 tangs but tbh theyre small slow growing. The sailfin and yellow tang are 6 years old (came from a friends 300 gallon he despretly needed someone to take em) and  they wont get any bigger due to their age. Tomini is almost maxed out theyre small tangs, fox is almost maxed out, and that really leaves the blond naso to grow hes only bout 7-8 inches now and thats after 1 year

Here is my tank btw.  Just recorded it so quality will get better in time when youtube finishes it. You can see the flame being a bastard then swims off

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Yea theyre huge.. really fat.. my sailfin looks like he juices with roids lol.  So far my long nose hasnt shown interest in the corals.. the flame angel nips at the pink stylophora though.. hes the onky real bastard i have in my tank

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well little update.  Its been 2 weeks just about.  0 ich in my main tank so only 8 days of tank transfer was enough it seems.  

He has gained a little weight snd still eats the mysis in the emerald entrea.  He wont eat anything else. But the mysis and the amphipods he finds in my rocks.  But he is pooping and doesnt look as skinny. so that means hes deff eating.

Im happy.. in my experience butterflies are hard to keep and get to eat so im glad he made it

• Like 2
On 11/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, Candymancan said:

I put him in the main tank.  Took the risk.  I havent seen ich on him or my fish. Been 4 days now.  With ichs life cycle and my own experience id see it by day 2 or 3.  So im fairly confident i got lucky.

He is skin and bones and its too stressfull for fish to wanna eat specoslly picky eaters when doing tsnk transfer.. 2 weeks is ok if they are fat but i got him skinny so i didnt wanna wait too long.  In 20 years ive seen how far fieh can go before they just give up eating all together.

Anyway more time will make me feel safer but i think im in the clear.  Anyway ive been feeding mysis. Emerald entrea. Formula one, pellets, omega one marine flakes.

Dont care if it rises my nitrates from dumping so much food in but i need to get him to eat.

He finally started eating today.. the first 4 days he was pecking at my rocks and he did grab amphipods in the am and at night.  But now he ate like 30 small peices of mysis from the emerald entrea/and plain mysis cubes.

He wont touch formula one frozen and tbh neither will my other fish and i have some fat fish.   I think the Gel in formula one makes em stick their noses at it. Even when broken up.

Anyway im happy. Im sure with more time hell start eating the more nutritious flakes i feed vs soley mysis.emerald entrea.

As for aggression.. the tangs couldnt careless about him cept maybe the sailfin but only for a split second.   The one who was giving him real issues the first 3 days was the flame angel and no real bad physical contact was made. Was interesting to see the defense mechanism on the long nose he swims like upside down pointing his spikes out..  

Now i have maybe a mild aggression from the flame angel but nothing im worried about itll stop in more time.  He just swims around and no one cares.   My tangs really arent mean,  powder brown, naso, sailfin, tomini, and yellow tang.  Everyone litterally just chills.   Some may frown at 5 tangs but tbh theyre small slow growing. The sailfin and yellow tang are 6 years old (came from a friends 300 gallon he despretly needed someone to take em) and  they wont get any bigger due to their age. Tomini is almost maxed out theyre small tangs, fox is almost maxed out, and that really leaves the blond naso to grow hes only bout 7-8 inches now and thats after 1 year

Here is my tank btw.  Just recorded it so quality will get better in time when youtube finishes it. You can see the flame being a bastard then swims off

Beautiful.