ReefCleaners.org

Biological filter

kabal2

Hi guys, so I have a question about an idea that i have rolling around my head, do anyone tried a reef tank with no rock or sand, and a small sump or filter and maybe 1 or 2 fish, my idea is to try a 10g with minimal to non live rock, bared bottom,  and a hang on the back filter, what do you guys think? Is it doable?

43 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

What is your plan for biological filtration? The water alone won't do it.

If i do the 10g i was thinking an aquaclear filter with some cheato and maybe some rubble in there as well, just toying with the idea right now 

Technically if you use a filter and add biomedia/sponge you will be all set if you want livestock and cycle the tank. But depending on what you use I wouldn’t expect it to handle a lot of fish. 

What you are describing reminds me a lot of quarantine tanks or frag tanks (if you have corals).  I have a simple HOB for my fish quarantine that does the trick. Not pretty to look at though.

Why wouldn’t you want the rock and all the cool critters involved in the hobby as part of the main display? Even many fish only tanks utilize live rock for filtration. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't suggest it. Not just because of the biological filter- because your fish need places to hide. The fish in the hobby are mostly reef fish, which are used to a plethora of nooks and crannies to hide in. It's not good for them to keep them without places like that.

• Thanks 1

That would stress the fish out and you need some sort of biological filtration somewhere even if it's a sponge in the filter. 

At my LFS when they put fish in empty glass boxes... They literally plaster themselves in the bottom corners attempting to blend in looking upset. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so I need some biological filtration,  i can do that in the hob filter or maybe a hob fuge, and for the display i was thinking about something like this , and the pictures is just for an idea, this guy have some amazing looking stuff

FB_IMG_1574339862397.jpg

FB_IMG_1574339901362.jpg

That would work vaguely, but doesn't have much surface area. You'd need a LOT of surface area in the fugue. A few of those might keep a couple of bold fish happy, I suppose. 

Do you just want a really clean-looking tank, like those freshwater ones with the incredibly trimmed plants? Because I gotta tell ya, those aren't great for the fish either. Again, nowhere to hide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not ideal.

What's the difference from the fake rock to using a real one that's more beneficial?

You need about 5-7lbs of rock in your hob for biological filtration or half that and a sponge(sponges over time create a different issue)

For fish, they need rocks, for coral only you could get away without rock in the display.

Consider what a reef looks like, it's their home, its security.

Without security your fish will be stressed out leading to ill health and aggression.

• Like 1