Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Banasophia’s Biocube 32 - Return of the DragonReef 🐉

banasophia

1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Anyone on right now? There’s aN absolutely gorgeous McCoskers Flasher Wrasse in the same tank with the pink streak. Sites I just checked vary on required tank size... one says 30 other says 50... thoughts? 

I kept one in my 60G cube and he didn't last. If the 30G was a *long tank, I guess that would be more ideal as opposed to a 30G cube. (More horizontal swimming room)

Is it going to be the only wrasse in there? I think it is doable in your biocube. But if you're planning on more, it's best to get a larger tank. (I have 4 wrasses in my 60G cube and they do 'bicker' on occassion - basically, my yellow coris is a jerk). 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I kept one in my 60G cube and he didn't last. If the 30G was a *long tank, I guess that would be more ideal as opposed to a 30G cube. (More horizontal swimming room)

Is it going to be the only wrasse in there? I think it is doable in your biocube. But if you're planning on more, it's best to get a larger tank. (I have 4 wrasses in my 60G cube and they do 'bicker' on occassion - basically, my yellow coris is a jerk). 😕

Thanks so much for the quick reply... I was trying to decide right before the store closed, figured there must be a reason no one mentioned this fish before... saw your reply and found a thread on reef2reef saying they mainly eat from the water column rather than the rock, so I stuck with the pink streak. That McCoskers sure was a beauty though - I was tempted!! 

Thanks again! 🤗

• Like 3
On 2/1/2020 at 4:01 AM, banasophia said:

I’d been holding off getting my pest-eating fish, hoping I’d be able to get a possum wrasse, but it looks like I should go ahead and get a different type of fish at this point rather than waiting for someone to get my dream fish in stock

If it makes you feel any better I don't think my possum wrasse really does much to keep my thriving pest population down. I mean... maybe without her I'd be even more overrun, but I think the other wrasses will probably be much better at that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, lizzyann said:

If it makes you feel any better I don't think my possum wrasse really does much to keep my thriving pest population down. I mean... maybe without her I'd be even more overrun, but I think the other wrasses will probably be much better at that!

Haha well I’m wondering how this new little pink streak will do... she seems so meek. 

Oh man I think I spoke too soon... I’m sitting on the couch and just looked over at the tank and saw her pop out of the cave to pick at the rock right by the acro!! Oh... she just did it again... hmmm, this actually looks promising. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Where is the photo dump for the new addition?

She’s so shy!! Lemme see if I can get a pic of her in the cave right now. I hope she’ll eat!!

• Like 1

Presenting Ser Brienne of Tarth, defender of the DragonReef realm from all pests small and tiny:

AAC91CA9-1CDE-44C6-866A-A7CF59C20B43.thumb.jpeg.a30d802c87c4fb4ad3235ccd0015b07e.jpeg

2CB4E252-DE35-4A02-AB74-99E45B44CBD1.thumb.jpeg.5c7e4c0a48be0cc6ea289cd379449b5e.jpeg

And her namesake:

2840CD09-1272-485A-88D6-E14A5936924A.jpeg.43ea7333b556af819dc8357aac10970c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ser Brienne, guarding the realm:

77D40111-4B66-4D23-A139-6B2FDB21FA82.thumb.jpeg.53c7733ea0a7db8a9181c171a56646d0.jpeg

40155330-9A24-4BAE-9EA3-64C05E284953.thumb.jpeg.4a4f6f9e07edf3ac5002b1a18ce51ccb.jpeg

Also, true confession:  I totally thought pink streaked wrasses were possum wrasses because every time I searched “possum wrasse” on Live Aquaria to see if they had a white banded possum wrasse in stock, this would come up. No wonder my LFS went silent for a minute when I asked if they still had the “pink streaked possum wrasse” in stock! 😂🤦‍♀️

B5378A4F-D22B-4DFA-ACFC-FF69749A8334.thumb.jpeg.a8273d2c1389e3c5f77b2e8284a2527b.jpeg

• Like 6

Glad to hear the newest member of the cast is settling in well. 😉 Everything looks very happy! I can't wait to see that beautiful aquascape all encrusted with corals.

I have to say that your awesome BioCubes (plus @Jackal227's recent TOTM feature) have got me contemplating the 'Cube 32 as a possible upgrade from my 18 gallon. I'm in the market for a deeper tank so I can display larger gorgonians, and for a long time I thought my options were limited to big systems like the Nuvo 40, but why not a BioCube? This tank is pretty deep, and it's a lot cheaper than an IM AIO. Plus I am sure the stock lights will be more than sufficient for the soft corals that I like to keep... Now the gears are really turning! 🤣

• Like 3

Okay. Seriously. More pests... maybe babies of the original ones, but maybe a different type. The digitata has been looking great, then suddenly started closing its polyps last night and looked like it also had something crawling on it, so I dipped it this morning. I’d say about 30 of the little critters came off of it. 

42517E16-1B6B-467D-B473-C9C9F36DE4B8.thumb.jpeg.1b280aa4594d38624d5733adda16dd29.jpeg

2B8D8745-D2D5-451F-8FE3-9BA8AFEA8C4B.thumb.jpeg.342ce9a83c7d3b5d6cd609f8795205b3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Wow 1

Thank you for dumbing down and explaining the importance of proper scaping for water flow, light, cleaning and maintenance.  When I initially set up my Bio 16 I had everything jammed against the back wall.  All the information I came across was related to corals, water parameters, and dosing.  It was like sprinting before I learned to walk.  

After many, many, many, attempts I created a somewhat aesthetically pleasing pile in the center. 

This is shot in the am after water change and cleaning last night.  Extremely underwhelming at the moment with two clowns, one neon goby, blasto merletti, sinularia green, rasta zoa, shrimp, snails and hermits.  

Unfortunately my LFS, or any source, is over an hour away in RIchmond, Va.  I'm in Charlottesville, Va. Must be nice to live in California with all the options. 

IMG_3171.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/27/2020 at 4:16 AM, banasophia said:

Thanks! I love how closely they seem to have bonded!! My other clowns hang out some but not all the time, and they don’t sleep together. 

Geez ! My clowns seem to tolerate one another.  At night the the orange one sleeps in Squidward's Easter Island Head while the black one is on the other side of the tank under near the fan?!?!  I guess arranged marriages aren't for everyone.  

IMG_3180.jpg

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, banasophia said:

Okay. Seriously. More pests... maybe babies of the original ones, but maybe a different type. The digitata has been looking great, then suddenly started closing its polyps last night and looked like it also had something crawling on it, so I dipped it this morning. I’d say about 30 of the little critters came off of it. 

42517E16-1B6B-467D-B473-C9C9F36DE4B8.thumb.jpeg.1b280aa4594d38624d5733adda16dd29.jpeg

2B8D8745-D2D5-451F-8FE3-9BA8AFEA8C4B.thumb.jpeg.342ce9a83c7d3b5d6cd609f8795205b3.jpeg

UGGG I am so afraid of infecting my tank that I have only bought coral etc from my LFS, which by-the-way is extremely limited. There seems to be so many options online but I fear the equivalent of the coronavirus spreading in my tank.  Would you suggest dipping before introducing new coral?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, twofishys said:

Thank you for dumbing down and explaining the importance of proper scaping for water flow, light, cleaning and maintenance.  When I initially set up my Bio 16 I had everything jammed against the back wall.  All the information I came across was related to corals, water parameters, and dosing.  It was like sprinting before I learned to walk.  

After many, many, many, attempts I created a somewhat aesthetically pleasing pile in the center. 

This is shot in the am after water change and cleaning last night.  Extremely underwhelming at the moment with two clowns, one neon goby, blasto merletti, sinularia green, rasta zoa, shrimp, snails and hermits.  

Unfortunately my LFS, or any source, is over an hour away in RIchmond, Va.  I'm in Charlottesville, Va. Must be nice to live in California with all the options. 

IMG_3171.jpg

Geez ! My clowns seem to tolerate one another.  At night the the orange one sleeps in Squidward's Easter Island Head while the black one is on the other side of the tank under near the fan?!?!  I guess arranged marriages aren't for everyone.  

IMG_3180.jpg

59 minutes ago, twofishys said:

UGGG I am so afraid of infecting my tank that I have only bought coral etc from my LFS, which by-the-way is extremely limited. There seems to be so many options online but I fear the equivalent of the coronavirus spreading in my tank.  Would you suggest dipping before introducing new coral?

I really love your tank! The scape looks great and I like the way you incorporated squidward’s house. Yeah, in my Biocube 16 my clownfish don’t sleep together either... one sleeps in the cave and one near the top in the current. But they do swim around together some from time to time throughout the day.

I think I lucked out that these two new little guys bonded so well... they weren’t bonded when I got them, they were in a tank full of little snowflakes that were all swimming around separately... maybe they were from the same clutch? 

Yes, definitely dip your corals... and evening if you do, you’ll still get pests... I think of it as harm reduction. Some people quarantine their corals, but that’s a bit beyond my motivation level... I use Coral RX. I probably need to get serious with the dipping since I’m doing SPS in this tank and try using Roundup... apparently it works better, I’m just reluctant since it’s such a strong chemical and not made for this application. 

Yeah, I have lots of LFSs in my area, and it is nice to be able to do the rounds and see what they have in stock... the really lucky California reefers are those down in SoCal though... I think there are quite a few well known LFSs there. 

• Like 1

IMG_3180.jpg

I love it! Squidwards Easter island is awesome. Clowns can be odd fish I’ve had many pairs in the years I’ve been in the hobby. Some are loners, some are murderous, some seem to just tolerate each other while some can’t seem to stop loving on each other 🤗 they almost seem to be screwed up as humans are 😂

• Like 1

I dip everything with the exception of sponges, anemones and Gorgonians. I would also recommend pulling any coral from the frag plug and glueing it to a new plug or the rock itself. Coral RX, ReVive work well but Bayer Advanced insect killer seems to be the best product I’ve used. Yeah it’s a bug killer and not specifically designed for reef tanks but it kills the bugs and doesn’t harm the coral. There are many videos available that show how to use it. 

8 minutes ago, Sancho said:

I dip everything with the exception of sponges, anemones and Gorgonians. I would also recommend pulling any coral from the frag plug and glueing it to a new plug or the rock itself. Coral RX, ReVive work well but Bayer Advanced insect killer seems to be the best product I’ve used. Yeah it’s a bug killer and not specifically designed for reef tanks but it kills the bugs and doesn’t harm the coral. There are many videos available that show how to use it. 

Oh is it bayer not roundup haha... I knew it was some kind of hard core poison ☠️☠️☠️😂🤣

Gorgonians can also be dipped 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Oh is it bayer not roundup haha... I knew it was some kind of hard core poison ☠️☠️☠️😂🤣

Gorgonians can also be dipped 

Don’t use roundup 😂 that shit will kill you!! 

the reason I don’t dip gorgonians is because some can be very porous and I'm

afraid that all the dip won’t be removed with a rinse. It’s not harmful to most inhabitants of the tank if there is a little dip residual but can kill your inverts. My cleaner shrimp likes to thoroughly investigate any additions to the tank.  

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Sancho said:

This is very interesting, I never actually considered doing any of this. I do have a beginner question for you. When changing the frag plug, do you take the coral out of the water to glue the new plug on or can you do the whole process without removing it?

18 minutes ago, Jerad81 said:

This is very interesting, I never actually considered doing any of this. I do have a beginner question for you. When changing the frag plug, do you take the coral out of the water to glue the new plug on or can you do the whole process without removing it?

My process is first remove the coral from the plug, dip then rinse. If I’m putting on a new plug I’ll glue it up out of the water. If it’s going on the rock work I’ll apply the glue to the coral out of water, dip in it water for a few seconds let it develop a skin then I’ll place it in the rock work in the tank. When gluing in the tank you want to kinda twist it while holding pressure on the coral. You will feel resistance when the glue starts to set. At that point keep pressure on it for like 30 seconds and it should be set. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sancho said:

My process is first remove the coral from the plug, dip then rinse. If I’m putting on a new plug I’ll glue it up out of the water. If it’s going on the rock work I’ll apply the glue to the coral out of water, dip in it water for a few seconds let it develop a skin then I’ll place it in the rock work in the tank. When gluing in the tank you want to kinda twist it while holding pressure on the coral. You will feel resistance when the glue starts to set. At that point keep pressure on it for like 30 seconds and it should be set. 

This is great to know, thank you! I will definitely keep all this in mind now when I can start adding coral to my own tank!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Sancho said:

Thank you so much for the input.  The more preventative measures I take the less likely I am to have a meltdown....personally and in the tank.

• Haha 1
  • banasophia changed the title to Banasophia’s Biocube 32 - Return of the DragonReef 🐉