Pod Your Reef

Help! I don’t know what this is

Pablo J

Just to remind if you set up new tank for salt water tank must be complete checked all required supplement from your  tank and you should not be hurry to put anything if the water not set up correctly and cycle the water is very important factor to success the reef tank 🙂 I was assuming that’s rock is “dead rock” so you should put your rock in a bucket first with salinity 1.20 till the rock establish before you introduce to your main tank . If you been hurry you should buy as a mention supplement for new tank , that’s normal to change the colour of the rock if is new  or you should wait to cycle the water approximately 1-5 months and change every week 1/4 of the size of your tank. Don’t buy any fish or live rock till your water wasn’t good enough cycle 🙂 or else your tank getting worst 😞 and the fish suffering and also keep in mind one at a time  when u put something to introduce to ur tank and also always have separate water stock in the bucket with proper salinity if u have trying to change your water at list a week range preparation 🙂 hope this help for you 🙂  

4 hours ago, Pablo J said:

I recently let this tank cycle and added a clown and a cleaner shrimp . And then this started appearing !  Can anyone help me figure out what this is ? 

D12D45CC-252C-4080-893A-BAFC035ABA3D.jpeg

50C5EA47-59CD-43C9-92C3-B82FB544A8C7.jpeg

FBB900D1-B1AA-4B65-9D15-DE9601A3913C.jpeg

0C2F4E76-B159-49B7-87C8-82B4A99E826F.jpeg

5CFB1D3E-3BD5-4C99-890A-6A049871064C.jpeg

Its diatoms. This is a completely normal algae that often occurs during/after a tank cycles.

Its main food source is silicate and once that exhausted, it dies off.

If the tank is finished the cycle, you can add some snails to help keep it cleaned 

• Like 2