Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to Catch Bristle Worms.

DSA65PRO

Take a Sponge Filter Sock, it doesn’t matter whose it is. I just happen to have Penguin Sponge prefilters. Take it to a hardware and get the Nylon Boltend Covers, to cap the holes. Wet the Sponge in Aquarium water, Put 1/8 teaspoon of flake food in the middle of the Sponge and sink it in the Aquarium just before the lights go out. In the morning mix 50/50 tank water and tap water in a tall container, soak the Sponge for 30 minutes. Bristle Worms will crawl out and die. Repeat till population is reduced. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, DSA65PRO said:

Take a Sponge Filter Sock, it doesn’t matter whose it is. I just happen to have Penguin Sponge prefilters. Take it to a hardware and get the Nylon Boltend Covers, to cap the holes. Wet the Sponge in Aquarium water, Put 1/8 teaspoon of flake food in the middle of the Sponge and sink it in the Aquarium just before the lights go out. In the morning mix 50/50 tank water and tap water in a tall container, soak the Sponge for 30 minutes. Bristle Worms will crawl out and die. Repeat till population is reduced. 

Interesting! I need to try this... any chance you could post some pics?

You could set it in a small Container wittth a little bit of aquarium water in it, the Amphipods and brittle stars would leave the sponge. As long as the sponge filter was damp, the Bristle Worms will stay in the sponge. I actually found out this works by accident.  

13 minutes ago, DSA65PRO said:

You could set it in a small Container wittth a little bit of aquarium water in it, the Amphipods and brittle stars would leave the sponge. As long as the sponge filter was damp, the Bristle Worms will stay in the sponge. I actually found out this works by accident.  

Would love to see some pics of your method so I can try it... having a hard time visualizing from your description.