Innovative Marine Aquariums

second_decimal 10g Nano

second_decimal

If you're worried about toxins from palys or zoas, I'd recommend running some carbon, but I think you're already doing that.

I feel your pain, though, I've had tanks that grew algae like crazy for no apparent reason, in spite of regular water changes and carefully controlled nutrient import/export. 

If you have zero measured nitrates but you have algae, you almost certainly have "high" nitrates, but the algae is consuming it all, making it measure zero. Phosphates at zero would seem to support that idea, too.

How long has your tank been set up? I know you started your thread in November but I can't remember if it's been around longer than that. From the pictures you've posted it looks pretty much like Ugly New Tank Syndrome, which is completely normal and to be expected in a tank that isn't at least three to six months old. That's why most reefers recommend really limiting fish and corals for the first few months, you just have to give the tank time to build up the beneficial bacteria levels in response to the increasing bioload, and for all the blooms and diebacks to occur while things get in balance.

Water changes will help, as will skimming, filtration, and carbon. I'd avoid using any kind of Ph buffer, dosing, or anything else to change your water chemistry at this point. Buffers usually do more harm than good, and dosing isn't needed until you have lots of stony corals that consume a lot of alkalinity. Reefs love stable water conditions more than anything else 🙂

I don't see any problem with your lighting - since you have a Mini Tide those levels seem good to me. How many hours a day do you run it, though? Zoas and other starter corals don't really need lots of light, so it wouldn't hurt at all to reduce the intensity or duration while you work through the uglies to reduce algae growth. Then you can gradually ramp it up in a few months.

I hope this isn't too much or too preachy or stuff you already know. But I'd advise patience and just leaving things stable for a while.

• Like 3
second_decimal
3 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

I’d crank those light down. I run a NBR Duo over a 34 gallon reef and none of the channels are above 48%. 

Also be careful with the amount your feeding the tank. Those cubes you made will fuel algae like crazy. 

Tom

Definitely going to take a close look at light intensity and duration. I think I’m way too long on daylight but have to make sure I understand all available options. 

I am feeding half a cube every 2 days so trying to keep bioload low. 

second_decimal
3 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Are you dosing fule or an amino acid type supplement? I had this same algae issue in my 10 it was caused by combo of the lighting and the fule I was dosing. It got better when I adjusted the lights and went away completly after I cut off the fule. 

No dosing of any kind right now. 

second_decimal
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

If you're worried about toxins from palys or zoas, I'd recommend running some carbon, but I think you're already doing that.

Yep lots of carbon and regular refresh. 

I feel your pain, though, I've had tanks that grew algae like crazy for no apparent reason, in spite of regular water changes and carefully controlled nutrient import/export. 

If you have zero measured nitrates but you have algae, you almost certainly have "high" nitrates, but the algae is consuming it all, making it measure zero. Phosphates at zero would seem to support that idea, too.

I agree. Pretty sure nitrates are fueling the bloom. Tank is still new and going through “ugly tank syndrome” I’m just anxiety prone and easily get carried away haha.. 

I'd avoid using any kind of Ph buffer, dosing, or anything else to change your water chemistry at this point. Buffers usually do more harm than good, and dosing isn't needed until you have lots of stony corals that consume a lot of alkalinity. Reefs love stable water conditions more than anything else 🙂

No buffers no additives. I was concerned that all those large water changes would have a destabilizing side effect but no choice.

I don't see any problem with your lighting - since you have a Mini Tide those levels seem good to me. How many hours a day do you run it, though?

Probably too many hours and too high intensity. I will revisit and adjust to see if that will help. 

I hope this isn't too much or too preachy or stuff you already know. But I'd advise patience and just leaving things stable for a while.

No advice is preachy if it’s good and warranted lol. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will keep the thread updated. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, second_decimal said:

haha yes.. sadly, that came out of the tank. 

r u still relying on your little automated water change routine?  or are you doing major wc now to try to combat algae, like 30-50% a time?  

Oh dude your tank is new AF. 

Everything is normal. Look at my tank now. Literally two-three months ago everything was covered in algae but now I only get a light film on the glass towards the end of the water change cycle. 

Just wait it out

• Like 1

I would try a 3 day black put period with large water change and new filter media. Time will help things out with sutch a new tank but with that much algae just floating around in the water somethings probly contributing to it.

• Like 1
second_decimal
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

r u still relying on your little automated water change routine?  or are you doing major wc now to try to combat algae, like 30-50% a time?  

no ATW.. massive waterchanges. 7g today. that little salt bucket that i though twas going to last me a year is basically gone haha,

• Like 1
second_decimal
3 hours ago, LazyFish said:

I would try a 3 day black put period with large water change and new filter media. Time will help things out with sutch a new tank but with that much algae just floating around in the water somethings probly contributing to it.

hmm i fished out 2 dead snails yesterday. i am sure it is just new tank syndrome and i just have to be patient. 

second_decimal

Indeed. My entire household erupted with complaints about the "seasoned" stank. I have not checked ammonia. The logic here being that even if ammonia was a culprit, the massive water changes and constant carbon refreshers would take care of that problem. 

I attribute the untimely demise of the snails (as well as the fire fish) to an increase in toxins released when i added all those zoas (probably 30- 40 heads) at the same time. During the acclimation, one of the bags that the zoas where transported in slipped into the tank and dumped that concentrate in the main system as well. Everything was sliming and pretty mad (even the GSP would not extend if that says anything). It took several days and everything seems pretty settled now. the algae problem remains but I guess I can live with that as long as things stop dying. 

second_decimal

Things continue to gradually stabilize and improve and the algae explosion is showing signs of decelerating. The shrimp molted again (and had me momentarily convinced my fish killing expertise was broad enough to include crustaceans) a few days ago but is still alive as well as the court jester who is happily perusing the environment and picking algae/pods off of everything..

1458862342_TankPics12-22-19(6).thumb.JPG.a8574b41602523ee7e2adf06cb868f14.JPG1902970779_TankPics12-22-19(7).thumb.JPG.9e6c62874ec85cc8ecc03d16eb75e962.JPG1855610916_TankPics12-22-19(9).thumb.JPG.8a35af616e79ba57d9b84cbf20d6f628.JPG 

• Like 4
second_decimal

a few pics of random zoas.. everything is looking pretty happy as far as i can tell. My PH has been swinging around like a monkey on redbull and it is not unusual to bounce from 7.8 to 8.2 over the course of 48 hours. 

1498009089_Zoa02.thumb.JPG.4df3b2406f8423d3aab29141b4bcb33a.JPG715383850_Zoa03.thumb.JPG.b7a43eae6adf7454adbfb0ed329fd3ad.JPG

No editing on those pics. Shot with Nikon 55mm Lens and orange filter lens. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
second_decimal

update.. i sold all that stuff, never got to AWC. upgraded to a 20g nuvo using a ReefLED 90 as light, waiting on a bigger fixture. i am running a Profilux 3.1ex with a doser Mighty jet RT pump, tunze 6040 which likes to get stuck sometimes, tunze ATO that i had to have replaced once so far, one caddy loaded with filter material, carbon bag and GFO. the othe caddy just has a carbon bag at the very bottom and is holding all my probes for temp, Redox, PH and conductivity and finally, an eshopps nano skimmer. I will see if I cant take some pics in a little while. 

• Like 3
second_decimal

unfortunatly i do not have a pic of the hammer i killed while removing it from the plug. i always dip and i always put incoming things on my own plugs or rubble. i popped the hammer off and it fell into 8 pieces. i glued those back together but to no avail and the hammer was toast. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
mitten_reef
1 minute ago, second_decimal said:

The good, the bad and the ugly.. new light fixture pretty damn good. 

CA0C755B-935D-483C-B800-6A6560C4E58E.thumb.jpeg.ed9ba92031f32d34d64b612ca018ad2a.jpeg

4B493CC3-60D2-4F2E-82CE-A690DCFD82BC.thumb.jpeg.0f7383095d1539e4d3f40adeb7edd798.jpeg

DE0CD33A-F2D6-4E4F-9249-8F3627CEC178.thumb.jpeg.71e184038f6c39af4d9d6b8845e73c32.jpeg

5FB99C60-1253-4512-8A72-2073DDAFB87D.thumb.jpeg.e905babef2505c7a5b9541eeea1c666c.jpeg

for some reasons, I thought you got the “original” hybrid. Now I get why the fans are separate.  That’s gonna be a beast!

second_decimal
13 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

for some reasons, I thought you got the “original” hybrid. Now I get why the fans are separate.  That’s gonna be a beast!

Lol it is a beast. I think the perfect tank size will be 30x24x18 🤔😉 current tank size is 24x15x13 of which the 15 is only a 13 because AIO... 

mitten_reef
1 minute ago, second_decimal said:

Lol it is a beast. I think the perfect tank size will be 30x24x18 🤔😉 current tank size is 24x15x13 of which the 15 is only a 13 because AIO... 

time to upgrade, again 😂

second_decimal

Well let see what happens with all this insanity. I hope to be looking for a waterbox frag 55 or 85 soon 

26x24x16 but close enough I think

• Like 3