ReefCleaners.org

second_decimal 10g Nano

second_decimal

second_decimal
On 11/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, Elizabeth94 said:

Welcome back to the hobby! 

I never heard of a unit that added minerals to water for a particular flavor profile. That is really neat. Im guessing the coffee you drink is much better than what I live off of haha!

the Nuvo 10 is a great little tank. Its a nice size too, you shouldn’t have much issue keeping up on maintenance and dosing. Looking forward to see what you come up with!

lol that’s what Starbucks and the big softdrink/bottled water Co‘s do. Check out the source of Dasani (coke) water. There is a big debate raging right now because corporations are consuming huge amounts of water from aquifers that normally supply cities but the corporations are buying the water at super reduced rates. Literally millions of cubic gallons for pennies. 

sorry veered of topic there. Dosing is my next challenge. I will hook up ATO over the next few days but am wondering what I’m going to do. I planned on using ATI Essentials but they only sell 2000 ml bottles. At 2ml per day, i am concerned that the solutions will loose effectiveness before complete consumption. 

• Like 1
second_decimal

so i decided to see how zoas will hold up to my decidedly novice reefing "abilities" (abilities may be a strong word. "attempts" may me more accurate . Picked up a small frag from LFS and dropped it in the thank. It seemed to acclimate alright and so 2 days later i added some GSP and an additional small zoa frag. 

51953645_zoas03.thumb.JPG.b8caf187e7ac4d33eb75a9b4347c5053.JPG2044060069_zoas05.thumb.JPG.5be171f974ea0e89a6de67f77be6a970.JPGzoas07.thumb.JPG.91f6188fe1d5bdf2dc04b93e352f06f7.JPG

second_decimal

Lets hope she eats and stays around. There recently was a thread that started on my local board discussing what foods people feed their animals and i was impressed (and dismayed) at how many literally custom make their reef food. I'm sure it is the same here and so i realized i may have to do something similar. in that spirit, I took some frozen LRS, mysis, cyclopods and polyp lab. defrosted in a shot glass, added ro water, half of 1/4 tsp reefroids and mixed it up. Took that and froze it in tiny ice cube tray so now I can take a mini cube, defrost it in a little ro water and spot feed the zoas. That's the plan anyways..105124891_Fishfood03.thumb.JPG.9c11ebcd8b6530207d1f824a76d58c9d.JPG996845834_Fishfood02.thumb.JPG.045de34a901ccc352ca14b49a08fbdad.JPG

actually worked pretty well. I will probably be a little more diligent on the next batch and use RODI water instead of just RO. The Zoas seem to dig it and are nice and plump looking. I will do my very best not to immediately go and get a bunch more frags.... 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, second_decimal said:

Lets hope she eats and stays around. There recently was a thread that started on my local board discussing what foods people feed their animals and i was impressed (and dismayed) at how many literally custom make their reef food. I'm sure it is the same here and so i realized i may have to do something similar. in that spirit, I took some frozen LRS, mysis, copepods and polyp lab. defrosted in a shot glass, added ro water, half of 1/4 tsp reefroids and mixed it up. Took that and froze it in tiny ice cube tray so now I can take a mini cube, defrost it in a little ro water and spot feed the zoas. That's the plan anyways..105124891_Fishfood03.thumb.JPG.9c11ebcd8b6530207d1f824a76d58c9d.JPG996845834_Fishfood02.thumb.JPG.045de34a901ccc352ca14b49a08fbdad.JPG

Wow, that's quite a concoction.  

second_decimal

lol nothing to complicated or difficult to obtain. i guess some people are using raw oysters, seaweed, garlic and other vitamins etc. blending everything and then freezing.  I can make a little cube tray with 10 cubes at a time so depending on my feeding schedule, it should last me a week or so. After some research, I found that feeding schedules vary greatly. So I think I might try 3 times a week? Perhaps I will have to maintain a fish feeding schedule (currently I am feeding 2 times a day..) as well as an LPS feeding schedule? I also read somewhere that some folks like to soak the mysis etc. in selcon. I think I will replace the RO and RODI water with selcon and see how that works. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, second_decimal said:

lol nothing to complicated or difficult to obtain. i guess some people are using raw oysters, seaweed, garlic and other vitamins etc. blending everything and then freezing.  I can make a little cube tray with 10 cubes at a time so depending on my feeding schedule, it should last me a week or so. After some research, I found that feeding schedules vary greatly. So I think I might try 3 times a week? Perhaps I will have to maintain a fish feeding schedule (currently I am feeding 2 times a day..) as well as an LPS feeding schedule? I also read somewhere that some folks like to soak the mysis etc. in selcon. I think I will replace the RO and RODI water with selcon and see how that works. 

So is this concoction for fish?  Or for corals?  I think selcon is fish vitamin, not that I think it'd be bad for corals.  I dose Fuel (when I remember), which is a vitamin mix anyway. 

Twice a day for fish + another 3 times a week for corals?  watch you nutrients if you do that.   It sounds like the food mixture can be fed to both fish and corals, maybe subbing it for one of the fish meals for the coral feeding day?    

second_decimal

What i did was for both. but it is clear that i will need to modify a little and maybe mix separate batches? Maybe feed fish 1 time per day (Selcon, Mysis, Cyclopods) and (Selcon, reefroids) for spot feeding corals every other day?how do you feed? 

• Like 1
second_decimal

In reference to nutrients, i am a little worried i will not be able to find a proper solution to my nanobox mounting clamp which prevents me from slipping my skimmer in its spot. you would think a lot of people have this problem and there is an acrylic solution out there? 

Edit. i guess I should have said I WAS worried? 

IMG_3229.thumb.jpg.26aeea031aebb99f25e2247b6a06f727.jpg

IMG_3225.thumb.jpg.fac2f28e19cdb2cb837b5bbd3fa857b7.jpg

IMG_3226.thumb.jpg.acf7540de3f00557da5adca38f1bc549.jpg

IMG_3230.thumb.jpg.24ff1f48ac7e33bb13e4ea8b5167ed0d.jpg

IMG_3231.thumb.jpg.eddf0833a1b75ff5895e36e1334d21d0.jpg

IMG_3233.thumb.jpg.9ede793eb10c40d92143e5ea3c5480bb.jpg

IMG_3234.thumb.jpg.891fc2e9592ad3b85d710795f4b4aa1a.jpg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, second_decimal said:

What i did was for both. but it is clear that i will need to modify a little and maybe mix separate batches? Maybe feed fish 1 time per day (Selcon, Mysis, Cyclopods) and (Selcon, reefroids) for spot feeding corals every other day?how do you feed? 

Fish gets pellets, or frozen Mysis, or frozen angel mix (I have a Pygmy angel). Lately they’ve been getting fed daily. Used to feed them every other day or so. 

Corals get reef Reef Roids, and the nanobox sun shine 😄

Ive been feeding the fish a lot lately because I wanna make sure the angel doesn’t “explore” the clam mantle.  and the tank is greening/browning in response. 

I think your mixture will will be fine both for target feed corals and broadcast for fish. 

• Like 1
second_decimal

I am experiencing an unprecedented algae bloom 😳 it literally takes 15 minutes after I clean it and the glass becomes foggy and coated with a light dusting of algae. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
second_decimal

So it is with some difficulty that I must admit to being able solely in producing less than desirable results in the reefing area. A lot has happened in the last few days and I am only now able to provide any sort of update. I must start with the addition of the Court Jester Goby. I really love the way it looks and behaves. 62381687_CJGoby01.thumb.JPG.2c38c651a256d5273a3b9d489f9b0e6d.JPG762710292_CJGoby02.thumb.JPG.478ace55165bab7bc8c2d4bf0134fa4f.JPG913995454_CJGoby04.thumb.JPG.5aa17b27bddf4b29e90dfc732b02ce31.JPG370597754_CJGoby05.thumb.JPG.42ce93590146872ed0b340518a7e0013.JPG

• Like 2
second_decimal

Meanwhile.... I was given the opportunity to seed my tank with a few awesome looking zoas and even a few mushrooms. After having observed everyone in the tank for little while,  thought it should be alright. It was not.. the Zoas where literally trimmed from their colonies, dropped into ziplock bags and transferred to my tank. Well, suffice it to say that complete chaos has erupted since then... The Firefish became a casualty pretty much immediately and the zoas were pissed.. I mean strands of anger slime blowing around and everyone was closed up tight. . at the same time an algae bloom hit. The algae was/is quite unlike anything I had observed before. It grows like a film on the glass and when cleaned it off, it seems to hang in the water column like a cloud. By the time the water clears up however, a new film has already formed. I went into full panic mode and did like (4) 3g water changes over the course of 12 or so hours. Temp and salinity were matched to keep shock to a minimum, added fresh carbon and phos ban. Still no change except the Firefish ate it. more water changes and the mushrooms are not making it. Some of the zoas are responding well however and are opening up to various degrees. Algea boom shows no signs of abating however. 

1086019164_IMG_3268-Copy.thumb.jpg.dff171f8c78be152b89f2a568294def5.jpg

1641090341_DSC_19-20-2019(1).thumb.JPG.1984f5e6d196545195716687d2c82605.JPG

541893523_DSC_19-20-2019(13).thumb.JPG.5464b0b6f190af9ecf6cb1133b79b42f.JPG1523743168_DSC_19-20-2019(7).thumb.JPG.ffce5fb03f76c4a6c6c24270eb91fa3b.JPG

1504336538_tankpics(3).thumb.jpg.d6b1e2d080f87b2d5b9046437390162c.jpg

second_decimal

And finally, in my desperate attempt to get this algae under control and prevent further losses in the ranks, It occurred to me that perhaps the missing component (the "magic" as @teenyreef referred to it) was a skimmer. I had been obsessing about the skimmer for some time and had bought a used Ghost desktop skimmer. The Nanobox light mount protruded so far into the valuable AIO compartment real estate however, that it prevented a skimmer from fitting into its spot. I modified the mount to take up the least amount of room and allowed for the skimmer to fit. I had tried to use the ghost skimmer but it was not what I was used to and frankly, as i think of my mighty jet return pump clattering along, IM in general seems to leave some things to be desired. 

Needless to say I immediately ran out to buy a Tunze 9001 Skimmer. It is beyond me why i was under the impression that the 9001 would fit in the IM10g. It does not unless you remove a baffle in the flow system and that was not something i was prepared to do. So, i ran once more and was able to trade the Tunze for an Eshopps nano which seems to be working well but did exactly zero to help with the algae. GSP is still retracted and a few Zoas have now been closed for 3 days. everything else is looking pretty great. i pulled the container i had made to settle mushrooms in (that did not make it). 

as far as i understand it, the zoas emit a pretty strong defense chemical that gets released when they are under duress. not a huge deal in a 50 gallon cube but in a tiny 10g it can be deadly. the dying mushrooms did not help and the rest I am sort of at a loss for. 

and for some reason, i am not able to post anymore pictures due to a 25mb limit? 

Sounds like it is water quality issue. The more you do water change, the less one would expect algae, or at least stable, not explosive algae growth

check your rodi hookups to see all is going to the right places?

second_decimal

something else that is confounding to me is that my PH is around 7.98 +\- .2 during the day but get higher at night up to 8.1... it should be the other way around lol.

18 minutes ago, second_decimal said:

PO4 test from tank and RO both clean. NO3 test from tank also 0 

Wiser people than me say not to trust 0 nitrate in a tank full of algae. Clearly something is fueling them beyond your light. How long do you run light? And how much white vs blues. 

second_decimal

ha.. i would agree. unfortunatly thats what the ATI test says and its all i got right now. It could have something to do with the light.. I picked it up used but since it had the BlueFish it couldn't have been too old. I don't know how many hours LED's maintain their spectrum over time or if any loss occurs at all for that matter. Also i am not really that great at the BlueFish app so who knows if i am running the thing correctly. I have tried to communicate with Nanobox to no avail. It says 

"Partly Cloudy

Kailua/Kona, us

Moon 99%"

Royal Blue @ 70%

White/Lime @ 20%

Violet @ 70%

Blue/Cyan @ 70%

Moonlights @ 70%

Fan @ 80%

Tom@HaslettMI
1 hour ago, second_decimal said:

ha.. i would agree. unfortunatly thats what the ATI test says and its all i got right now. It could have something to do with the light.. I picked it up used but since it had the BlueFish it couldn't have been too old. I don't know how many hours LED's maintain their spectrum over time or if any loss occurs at all for that matter. Also i am not really that great at the BlueFish app so who knows if i am running the thing correctly. I have tried to communicate with Nanobox to no avail. It says 

"Partly Cloudy

Kailua/Kona, us

Moon 99%"

Royal Blue @ 70%

White/Lime @ 20%

Violet @ 70%

Blue/Cyan @ 70%

Moonlights @ 70%

Fan @ 80%

I’d crank those light down. I run a NBR Duo over a 34 gallon reef and none of the channels are above 48%. 

Also be careful with the amount your feeding the tank. Those cubes you made will fuel algae like crazy. 

Tom

• Like 2
1 hour ago, second_decimal said:

"Partly Cloudy

Kailua/Kona, us

Moon 99%"

Royal Blue @ 70%

White/Lime @ 20%

Violet @ 70%

Blue/Cyan @ 70%

Moonlights @ 70%

Fan @ 80%

Like Tom said, might be too much light. Also, how long each day?

Are you dosing fule or an amino acid type supplement? I had this same algae issue in my 10 it was caused by combo of the lighting and the fule I was dosing. It got better when I adjusted the lights and went away completly after I cut off the fule. 

• Like 2