Cultivated Reef

What would make reefing easier?

GetPsyched2124

3 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

Thanks for the compliment, although I'm sure I'm older than you.  No need to throw any tantrums though.

I was thinking about buying from that online retailer you mentioned before, but what stopped me was honestly the negative reviews.  I clicked on your google link, and one of the first review sites that came up was:

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/saltwaterfish.com - 1 1/2 stars.

The point is, I'll take my chances with a LFS or a better online retailer than that one.

That was NEVER your point to begin with...I quote "There are far too many individual sellers online that do not know how to ship corals or fish.  And there are companies that keep raising their prices just because they can." That simply just isn't true. You also found ONE out of 12+ online retailers iI linked you. You were trying to argue they all went bad these days and Amazon out of all companies would be great at it. You even said "Do you trust your local fish store?" DUH of course people do. Your claims are just silly mate. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

Thanks for the compliment, although I'm sure I'm older than you.  No need to throw any tantrums though.

I was thinking about buying from that online retailer you mentioned before, but what stopped me was honestly the negative reviews.  I clicked on your google link, and one of the first review sites that came up was:

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/saltwaterfish.com - 1 1/2 stars.

The point is, I'll take my chances with a LFS or a better online retailer than that one.

Also when you google saltwaterfish,com this is the first link that pops up... 

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/saltwaterfish.com 3000+ reviews at 4.5 stars. 

Here is how I found it ttps://www.google.com/search?q=saltwater+fish+reviews&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS792US792&oq=salwaterfish+revi&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.5295j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I can go all night 😄 

5 minutes ago, Matteo said:

That was NEVER your point to begin with...I quote "There are far too many individual sellers online that do not know how to ship corals or fish.  And there are companies that keep raising their prices just because they can." That simply just isn't true. You also found ONE out of 12+ online retailers iI linked you. You were trying to argue they all went bad these days and Amazon out of all companies would be great at it. You even said "Do you trust your local fish store?" DUH of course people do. Your claims are just silly mate. 🙂

If you're going to quote, make sure you quote properly.  I actually said, "So do you trust Petco or Petsmart or most LFS?".  There is a difference.  I can find you many LFS that aren't that great.  There's a few gems out there, and those are the ones that we all love.  Don't confuse the gems vs so many others that eventually go out of business.

And from my personal experience, I've purchased from many online individuals and have seen some horrible packing jobs.  And when I check their reviews on eBay or Etsy or any of the websites I've bought from, there are others that have provided negative feedback as well.

You seem to live in a world where all online retailers and LFS and individuals are perfect and do no wrong.  Who is really dreaming and needs to wake up, mate. 🙂

8 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

If you're going to quote, make sure you quote properly.  I actually said, "So do you trust Petco or Petsmart or most LFS?".  There is a difference.  I can find you many LFS that aren't that great.  There's a few gems out there, and those are the ones that we all love.  Don't confuse the gems vs so many others that eventually go out of business.

And from my personal experience, I've purchased from many online individuals and have seen some horrible packing jobs.  And when I check their reviews on eBay or Etsy or any of the websites I've bought from, there are others that have provided negative feedback as well.

You seem to live in a world where all online retailers and LFS and individuals are perfect and do no wrong.  Who is really dreaming and needs to take up, mate. 🙂

DUDE. First off I don't argue with anecdotes "And from my personal experience," that's rule number #1 in debate haha. Second, I don't care about the ones that are bad because we don't use those silly. If we do it's a one time learning experience.  Most people here don't go to Petsmart and Petco you'll find so again your point is irrelevent to your original claim. You didn't even know what your original point was and I had to lay it out for you above LOL

"You seem to live in a world where all online retailers and LFS and individuals are perfect and do no wrong."

Can you quote or find where I said anything in a world where all online retailer an LFS are perfect? Having a hard time seeing where I said that... 

2 minutes ago, Matteo said:

DUDE. First off I don't argue with anecdotes "And from my personal experience," that's rule number #1 in debate haha. Second, I don't care about the ones that are bad because we don't use those silly. If we do it's a one time learning experience.  Most people here don't go to Petsmart and Petco you'll find. Oh yeah I have been A LOT longer than you. But I guess I wouldn't know. It's not like I comment on a shit ton of builds and see where people grab their goodies... 

"You seem to live in a world where all online retailers and LFS and individuals are perfect and do no wrong."

Can you quote or find where I said anything in a world where all online retailer an LFS are perfect? Having a hard time seeing where I said that... 

Thank you, we both agree then that all online retailers and LFS are not perfect.  I also think you'd be amazed by just how many visitors to this site actually go to Petco and Petsmart.  How many of us have ever taken advantage of the $1 per gallon Petco sale or bought anything ever from these retailers.  Probably a lot more than you give credit for.

But, at least you agree with me that perfection doesn't exist which in turn means the potential for negative experiences.

11 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

Thank you, we both agree then that all online retailers and LFS are not perfect.  I also think you'd be amazed by just how many visitors to this site actually go to Petco and Petsmart.  How many of us have ever taken advantage of the $1 per gallon Petco sale or bought anything ever from these retailers.  Probably a lot more than you give credit for.

But, at least you agree with me that perfection doesn't exist which in turn means the potential for negative experiences.

Dude, buying a $1/gallon sale is not the same as talking about buying livestock. WHICH WAS YOUR ORIGINAL POINT HOLY COW :scarry: "I'd like to see Amazon streamline the aquatics business and sell us any coral or fish that we want for same-day and overnight delivery" "...many of us are being ripped off by high coral and fish prices, shipping costs, and other nonsense fees from the very same establishments that could care less about the animals under their care." 

(second time I have quoted this) "There are far too many individual sellers online that do not know how to ship corals or fish.  And there are companies that keep raising their prices just because they can." 

"But, at least you agree with me that perfection doesn't exist which in turn means the potential for negative experiences." - Partially, but again that wasn't your point mate 😄 

Well, I stand by my experiences and I can see that you may have had better experiences in general.  I hope the best for you and that you’ll never have any bad experiences in the future when it comes to purchasing fish or corals.  Sure does save a ton of money never having a bad experience!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

Well, I stand by my experiences and I can see that you may have had better experiences in general.  I hope the best for you and that you’ll never have any bad experiences in the future when it comes to purchasing fish or corals.  Sure does save a ton of money never having a bad experience!

Same for you sir😎👉

IDK what people are arguing about but I shop both online and the LFS and other hobbyists. I see no reason to limit myself. Whoever has what I want to buy.... gets my coin. :bling:

LA was pretty perfect if you wanted your money back within 14 days but that went to shit but lets face it... we were very spoiled on something that the end user could be at fault for killing. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

IDK what people are arguing about but I shop both online and the LFS and other hobbyists. I see no reason to limit myself. Whoever has what I want to buy.... gets my coin. :bling:

LA was pretty perfect if you wanted your money back within 14 days but that went to shit but lets face it... we were very spoiled on something that the end user could be at fault for killing. 

My lfs store has taken a lot of my commission checks... 

What would make reefing far, far easier is if I had private-jet money and could just pay someone to do everything I didn't feel like doing. Basically, a "reef gadget" that could mix water, refill the ATO, change water, scrape the glass, check my parameters, and on top of all that call me "sir."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 11/19/2019 at 9:48 AM, jservedio said:

What would make reefing far, far easier is if I had private-jet money and could just pay someone to do everything I didn't feel like doing. Basically, a "reef gadget" that could mix water, refill the ATO, change water, scrape the glass, check my parameters, and on top of all that call me "sir."

Well said, I was thinking the same thing....an employee. Lol

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Well said, I was thinking the same thing....an employee. Lol

It'll end up costing significantly more in the long term, but I guess it's far more attainable for the majority of people on this site to have their employee(s) addressing them as "mom" or "dad," though they do come with their own set of problems and even more maintenance.

• Haha 2

Been up and down, back and forth, sump-no sump/ skimmer - no skimmer, reactor, uv sterilzer etc.

I now only use chemipure blue, filter floss and a baseball size of chaeto just to keeps the pod population up.

Biocube 16 went through the usual pests but it's been the easiest tank I've kept by far.

2 gallon wc per week, once per month wipe down the walls in the back chamber, once per month clean out pump

Stir sandbed twice per week, second time is on Sunday right before WC

KISS

• Like 2
On 11/14/2019 at 5:03 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

Sort of like the Mindstream. But not $1,000 initial cost and a monthly subscription LOL

I never knew that piece of wizardry existed. 

On 11/14/2019 at 3:32 PM, Tamberav said:

Actually frozen fish food feeder is exactly what I want because I am away 14 hours on work days. I have been eagerly awaiting one for years and contemplated doing a DIY one. 

If you manage to create a DIY frozen feeder let me know so I can line up to buy it. I'm away for the same reasons you are for the same amount of time, and it seems every single shift something happens while I'm trapped at the hospital. Being able to come home and not have to rush around feeding would be awesome.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

If you manage to create a DIY frozen feeder let me know so I can line up to buy it. I'm away for the same reasons you are for the same amount of time, and it seems every single shift something happens while I'm trapped at the hospital. Being able to come home and not have to rush around feeding would be awesome.

Will do, I may get desperate enough to do it. Others have successfully done it with wine chillers or mini fridges and so on.

I still say someone could rig that. I looked it up- there are mini freezers that are a bit over a foot across. Just drill a hole in one of those and stick a vertical pipe in it, leading down to under the surface of the water an inch or so. Put an auto-feeder in the freezer, positioned so it drops the food down the pipe. Food drops down and floats at the surface, inside the pipe, and the thawed bits sink out. Might want to try to rig something else in there to cover the hole between feedings and keep the chill in. The main problem would probably be hiding the freezer somewhere.

8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Will do, I may get desperate enough to do it. Others have successfully done it with wine chillers or mini fridges and so on.

That sounds enormous though. I guess I'll just have to continue relying on a human.

• Like 1
GetPsyched2124

How about a setting on these apps/controllers for the LED lights that simulate cloud cover? I don't do this but I've noticed a lot of people, mainly on the AI app, will input 20+ time points with different varying light point percentages to simulate clouds cover.

there should just be a cloud cover setting you can just add for a time duration that will fluctuate indicated spectrums by +/- 5% or 10%, etc.

Or maybe some lights do have this option and i'm not aware of it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, GetPsyched2124 said:

How about a setting on these apps/controllers for the LED lights that simulate cloud cover? I don't do this but I've noticed a lot of people, mainly on the AI app, will input 20+ time points with different varying light point percentages to simulate clouds cover.

there should just be a cloud cover setting you can just add for a time duration that will fluctuate indicated spectrums by +/- 5% or 10%, etc.

Or maybe some lights do have this option and i'm not aware of it.

I'm using the LOOP app that pairs with my "Current USA Orbit Marine IC PRO Dual LED with Bluetooth".  I can enable "Weather Forecast" which can give a % chance through the day (which you can specify the %) to perform one of the following weather conditions: ROLLING, RANDOM, STORM, FULL STORM.  If you hook up speakers to the LOOP controller, you can hear the breaking of waves or the thunder of the stormclouds as light flashes within your tank.  Or, you can just let the rolling clouds run all the time, whatever floats your boat.  🙂

• Like 1