inTank Media Baskets

Most reef-safe hermit crab?

Tired

I have blue legged hermits, but I'm reading that they can be little demons sometimes. And something, not sure if it's a blue leg or one of my two unIDed babies, seems to have disemboweled one of my palys. Regardless, I'd like to have a hermit or two in my 5gal pico, less for practical purposes and more because I like 'em. Which one is the least likely to bother soft corals and rock flower anemones? It'd need to be one of the smaller ones. Are the left-handed hermits a bit less pesky? 

GetPsyched2124

scarlet and halloween are both good choices. I like blue legged the most as i've never had any issues with them at all. I have a zebra in my 20 gallon that grown to be much larger than the blue legged and he acts like a bulldozer with his shell.

• Like 1

Halloweens get kinda big, don't they? I adore how they look, but I need something that won't knock my corals around too much. I also don't know if they'd need more room to move than I have, or more to scavenge than will grow in a 5gal. 

Are there any hermits that don't climb much or any, and just stay on the sand? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

From my experience, the blue legged hermit crabs will kill and eat my snails if the opportunity arises.  But, they stay pretty small.

I always hear the Scarlet Hermit crabs are the most peaceful, but also the laziest when it comes to eating algae.

And the Halloween hermit crabs are pretty, but get big and can bulldoze over frags.

Although I have 2 huge Turbo snails now and something knocked over my Duncan...

• Haha 1

The scarlet hermits I got seem pretty chill. They're spooked by my micro decorator crab if it pokes at them, at least. I don't have them for algae-eating, I have them because I like hermits. They're about as big as if a quarter was an oval instead of flat, and are knocking some of my smaller frags over kinda often because nothing is glued, but a little glue and clever positioning fixes that just fine. They haven't bothered anything to my knowledge, aside from stepping on things sometimes. They also aren't very active, which IMO is a bonus- I don't want them to be running around stepping on all my corals and shoving things around. 

Love my scarlets and they never stop working, halloween's are safe but their big shells sometimes knock things over. Mine have never lived long.

My blue leg have always been model citizens.

I've had issues with zebra and another I'm not sure of the name. 

• Like 1