Top Shelf Aquatics

Aiptasia on rock... first pest sighting in my reef. Considering what to do.

Sarrakitty

2 minutes ago, Tired said:

Just be careful not to hit your fish! They'll chase a laser pointer, I'm sure they'd chase that.

Never had that happen, but I guess its possible.

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Just be careful not to hit your fish! They'll chase a laser pointer, I'm sure they'd chase that.

Good Point. For me, my fish have not been interested. I use laser very similar to Melev's found Here on Amazon. A few things to keep in mind

1) Wear  Protective glasses!

2) Use it with No one else in the room (even pets). This minimizes risk of injury.

3) Try and point directly at the Aiptasia instead of on an angle to minimize reflection

4) Turn the focus knob until the beam is a pinpoint to get the most concentration of light. By the way, you don't use any of the pattern attachments included. Its really much like using a magnifying glass to cook bugs when we were kids. 

5) No matter how much "Crackling" you hear, And you WILL hear the aiptasia cooking(very satisfying). Keep the Laser on them for at least 30-45 secs to ensure they are dead. If they are larger atptasia them you might need to zap them a few times.

• Like 2