Innovative Marine Aquariums

LTB or loan a couple of berghia near Austin

Tired

Seems to not be easy to find them anymore.

I know a couple places here in cda that have them in but it would cost a lot to ship to US.

Hope someone can help.

There is always aiptasia x. Works great.

Huh. Okay, the laser is neat, but I'm not sure I want to risk eye damage. And that seems like it would be real bad for an acrylic tank. Plus I doubt it would get all the meat on the ones I have that are embedded into holes in the rock. 

8 minutes ago, Tired said:

Huh. Okay, the laser is neat, but I'm not sure I want to risk eye damage. And that seems like it would be real bad for an acrylic tank. Plus I doubt it would get all the meat on the ones I have that are embedded into holes in the rock. 

I was only half joking, it's just super cool. I played around with a friend's laser in my acrylic 2g pico and it worked on the few I had. You don't shine it through the glass but actually put the lens below the surface of the water and blast away - the less medium changes the beam has the more powerful it is. If you know someone with one, it's definitely fun to do.

Not sure how big your tank is or how many corals you've got, but if it's a pico or small nano, you can just drain the water, get a syringe of H2O2 and squirt their bases. Let it bubble away for a minute or so and fill the tank back up.  That works for just about anything.

• Like 1

It's a 5gal, and at that rate I may as well do the supergluing. If you take the rock out of the water, wait for the aiptasia to shrink up, and put superglue over it, that sucker's dead. It's also the safest option when they're right next to corals, you just gotta be real careful with the glue. I'm trying to find something that doesn't involve removing all these rocks every week or so when new ones pop up. 

What if I took all my zoas out of the tank and put some peppermint shrimp in? I know my LFS has the kind that eat aiptasia- they put any rocks that come in with aiptasia in the peppermint tank to get rid of em. I know they'll just make more aiptasia at first what with the panic-spawning and all, but will the peppermints eventually track em all down? 

Can aiptasia of any size make spores when disturbed, or can the tiny ones not do that yet? And how big do they have to be to spawn? Do I have to get them as soon as I see them to prevent more happening, or can I leave them alone for a bit? 

I've actually got two species, I think, from two separate live rock sources. One is the standard brown ones, and one has white stripes. They're neat, but they gotta go. Too bad the tank's too small for an aiptasia-eating filefish. And that filefish eat zoas.

• Recommended Discussions