Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sinularia hasn't opened in 7 days

Wafflecopter

I recently had a pretty sudden and major cyano outbreak in my 10 gallon and had no other choice than to use chemiclean. I followed the directions and after 52 hours (I was at work when the 48 hour mark hit) I did a 3 gallon water change and added a bag of carbon to help remove the last of the chemiclean. That was last saturday 11/2. Since that day my sinularia has been closed up and hasn't opened. I know leathers are known to shed a waxy layer and stay closed for a few days every now and then but I've never seen my sinularia stay closed for more than a day or two. As of last nights testing my parameters are as follows.

Calc- 400

Nitrates- 10 ppm

Phosphates- 0.25 

Dkh- 10

Salinity- 1.025

As you can see in the picture there doesn't appear to be any necrosis or any damaged tissue. Am I just being a little paranoid? I've had this coral for 1.5 years and got him as a little 3/4" frag in the "clearance" bin at my LFS

IMG_20191109_170907.jpg

I don't have experience with chemi-clean but this is a very hardy coral and I would be shocked if he didn't bounce back. I have had mine since my first tank, over 10 years. I mailed one to another member in winter and the mail go delayed, 5 days in winter months and it still lived. 

I would avoid chemiclean in the future. 

• Like 2

Yeah I figured there wasn't any serious issues but since I've never seen it stay closed for this long it just made me worry. Figured I'd get some more experienced reefers opinions on it. I'll update when it makes any changes good or bad. Thanks.

I would do more water changes. I don't have any point of reference with Chemiclean, but to get it out/dilute it I would do 2-3 gallon water changes every other day to see if the Sinularia opens up. The only new thing is the Chemiclean and I would try to get it out of there ASAP.

The tips and the base by the rock started turning black so I trimmed the tips and shortened the base. Also did another 3 gallon water change. Hopefully it will recover. None of my other corals seem to be affected in the slightest.

I am seeing some polyp extension on the trimmed areas. I'm hoping that it's on the road to recovery now. Unfortunately in having to do this I've lost most of the growth I've gained over the past year.