ReefCleaners.org

GE Silicone 2

ApocalypticSurf6

ApocalypticSurf6

is it safe?, My friend told me to get ge silicone 1 and figured it was the same stuff it was all they had, its this ok or dont use it?, its to build a small nano

ApocalypticSurf6

well it is 100% entirly, but the difference between ge silicone 1 and 2 id that 2 has like anti mold and anti fungus so im not sure it that will hurt it at all, but it is 100% so im guessing im fine, besides once it cures its saposed to let noting off(fumes and what not)

well it is 100% entirly, but the difference between ge silicone 1 and 2 id that 2 has like anti mold and anti fungus so im not sure it that

That's the issue. One is 100% pure silicone, the other is the same, but has a mold inhibitor that contains cyanide. Unfortunately, I can't remember which is which.

It's probably trace amounts that will have no real effect on your tank, but it's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take.

ApocalypticSurf6

no both are 100% but the 2 has the mold stuff, well besides im going to wet run it be for I hook it up that should get rid of some of the stuff, but hopefully someone will post that will maybe have used it? come on people

ApocalypticSurf6

yea I know thats what Im thinking but it says 100%, actually its dosn't say anywhere on the bottle about mold prevention or anything like that, I was just told from a friend to get 1 because 2 saposidly has the mold stuff but maybe he was wrong, anyone know for sure?

Yeah the II is fine, they have a 'window and door' model and a 'kitchen and bath'. The kitchen and bath has the mold stuff, the window and door dosent.

Undertheradar

jeeeez, do a search before you ask this question for the 12th time this year...

GE silicone 2 is not aquarium safe. Period.

Silicone 1 is...but not as good a bond as the aquarium designed stuff.

grimlock3000

GE Silicone 2 is NOT aquarium safe. GE Silicone 1 for Windows and Doors is SAFE. GE Silicone 1 for Kitchens and Baths is NOT.

Here is a reply sent to someone on another forum, straight from GE Silicones:

We don't recommend any of our products for underwater submersion, but some aquarium manufacturers do choose to use our products on glass to glass aquariums. The products they use most often are RTV108 or IS808. These are industrial grade products. Our consumer grade (this means they would be found at Home Depot or a local hardware store) offset to these industrial grade products is GE012A (Window and Door Silicone I).

It should also be added that the silicone All-Glass uses is manufactured by GE. If you want a whole bunch of information about this, go here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtop...t=silicone+safe

Bottom line: The product code on the Silicone 1 that is safe is GE012A.

ApocalypticSurf6

ok well do they make silicone 1 in black, i want to use black no matter what and I looked at the RTV108 and IS808 but they are just clear, so yea help there

I just picked up black GE 1 black 100% silicone for 2 bucks...how much was the big als?

Undertheradar ive used GE I and had no probs with its holding strength...where'd u hear it sucked? Not trying to argue just curious

Undertheradar

I didnt say it sucked...just that the aqaurium grade stuff is engineered to stick even better to glass. I just buy mine from bigalsonline...they have black and clear 10oz tubes.

Smokin-Reefer

Me and my buddy bought a 600 gal tank that all came in peices. We used ge silicon II WINDOW AND BATH. The silicone turned yellow after about 3 months. We had never had any fish die (porc puffer, clown trigger, naso tank, sailfin tangx2 yellowtangx2,dogface puffer, emp. angel, volitan lion) Due to the silicon over the 2 years it was set up. However, no crabs or snails would live more than a few hours in the tank. The fish eventually died while i was on vacation, when my idiotic friend bought 200lbs of rock and 50lbs of sand from a guy breaking down the tank, and introduced it all at once. HUGE SPIKES, everything dies. Tank now sits bone dry.

sorry for rambling, the moral of the story is.... GE II window and bath HAS bad stuff in it. Did my fish die because of it? No, but overtime they may very well have.

Just buy REAL aquarium silicone, spend a couple bucks more, and sleep well at night.

even walmart has aquarium silicone. check the pet supply section... why bother with home depot stuff made for home improvements, no idea why you would want to, theres no advantages. just get aquarium made silicone.

oh, and i think its only 3 bucks

even walmart has aquarium silicone. check the pet supply section... why bother with home depot stuff made for home improvements, no idea why you would want to, theres no advantages. just get aquarium made silicone.
That's the way I look at it. With the vast amount of money we spend on our tanks, why take the risk to save a couple bucks?
ApocalypticSurf6

yea, wow this turned into a bigger thing then expected, sorry about your tank smokin-reefer, that sucks, yea well I have my stuff comming tomorrow feeling a lot safer now, im going to post pics of the tank as I build it for everyone, couple people had asked me

That was an intersting post from GE.

I have used GE II on three of my tanks now including a refuge for a 120 gallon reef (WINDOW AND DOOR) and I have had no problems at all.

Having read that statment though, might as well not risk it and use GE I, but I think if you have already used II of window and door don't worry.

ApocalypticSurf6

No it was just sitting in my room, im not getting the glass till tomorrow and just got the silicone in the mail so im good, try and get my 5 bux back for the ge, if not oh well its just $5 right

Archived