SaltCritters.com

DNR88's Dennerle 8 gallon | The Dennerle is dead, long live the Dennerle!

DNR88

In the end it turn out I was the one who was wrong. With the parts in another position, everything fits fine! 😛

So here 'she' is, the Asaqua Aquanest. Now at 15 % and planning to work it up to around 30%-40%.

IMGP7580.thumb.JPG.e439585c6f2121aa8d8a535980d61b20.JPG

IMGP7582.thumb.JPG.71ea32b306081aa47403b2252d97ab4a.JPG

• Like 2

I hopefully not going to regret tomorrow, when I'm going to take the rocks out to create this 'awesome' scape with reefcement I have in mind..

In the end, this tank isn't meant just for having another tank, but also for some expression of creativity. 

Some last inspiration for tomorrow:

csm_Lempertz-1044-529-Asian-Art-A-scholars-rock_1366de7561.thumb.jpg.e05f8d3a87ccc0161c3c6ac11eb7f07a.jpg

• Like 2

This afternoon I bought reef cement, pulled out the stones and started to scape..

A sad picture:

IMGP7584.thumb.JPG.7bc1b5ba111037cfee59cb5210bb8975.JPG

This was my 'workshop':

IMGP7587.thumb.JPG.bfce31e7ce686d31ed1275c43ad6dce8.JPG

And the final result..! omgomgomg

IMGP7594.thumb.JPG.cf4d7c402869fa2b069c204142f05003.JPG

More tomorrow.. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I think it came out really well and luckily I don't regret emptying the tank. 😊

IMGP7596.thumb.JPG.5e66b7f54a19f994f9e71367b0e73bdd.JPG

IMGP7599.thumb.JPG.ae0fe2c72daf08e1c43dcec8e6cf132d.JPG

Now I can slowly start to think about what kind of fish I would like to have in the tank. Still two Wetmorella wrasse or something else..?

• Like 4

I think even wetmorella are known for conspecific aggression, so I don't think I would advise more than one in a system. (But I don't have first-hand experience, @Tamberav has kept pink-streaks and had a few grumpier ones, so they're a better person to ask)

Percher's would probably love that system, so gobies at that volume, maybe a blenny, or a reticulated perchlet (love these but you can't have small inverts).

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

I think even wetmorella are known for conspecific aggression, so I don't think I would advise more than one in a system. (But I don't have first-hand experience, @Tamberav has kept pink-streaks and had a few grumpier ones, so they're a better person to ask)

Percher's would probably love that system, so gobies at that volume, maybe a blenny, or a reticulated perchlet (love these but you can't have small inverts).

I think if you put in a pair of Wetmorella's at the same time, it should be fine.

On the other hand, I also loved my Rainford's Gobie in the past. Very nice character, lovely looking and it's a very usefull fish as well.

amblygobius-rainfordi.jpg

Maybe in combination with a small wrasse like a Pseudocheilinops Ataenia.

pseudocheilinops-ataenia.jpg

• Like 2

Wetmorellas are more finicky with food then pinks. Two in a 8g seems very cramped to me as they like caves and lots of hiding/foraging space which your scape lacks (although it looks cool). I have seen multiples kept without issue but they were much larger tanks.

I think a small goby fits better if you are want to put a fish in a more ideal habitat. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

I think if you put in a pair of Wetmorella's at the same time, it should be fine.

On the other hand, I also loved my Rainford's Gobie in the past. Very nice character, lovely looking and it's a very usefull fish as well.

amblygobius-rainfordi.jpg

Maybe in combination with a small wrasse like a Pseudocheilinops Ataenia.

pseudocheilinops-ataenia.jpg

Kudo's to keeping a rainford's they've a reputation of being remarkably-difficult, like miniature mandarins - I seem to recall someone on this forum saying they can be even more challenging depending on the individual. I love the fish, but am definitely-hesitant as I think it's wayyy above my skill-level.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2019 at 7:26 PM, Amphrites said:

Kudo's to keeping a rainford's they've a reputation of being remarkably-difficult, like miniature mandarins - I seem to recall someone on this forum saying they can be even more challenging depending on the individual. I love the fish, but am definitely-hesitant as I think it's wayyy above my skill-level.

My experience with the Rainfordi Goby is that they are quite hardy and it's nice to see them siffing the sand. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Bailyfox said:

I a think a single possum wrasse or a pink streaked wrasse would be good, they're top contenders for my tank.

I hope to get a really small one somewhere. They are really cute when they're like an inch or so.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

I hope to get a really small one somewhere. They are really cute when they're like an inch or so.

I've also read geometric hawkfish (perchlets) are a cool nano fish as well

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

I've also read geometric hawkfish (perchlets) are a cool nano fish as well

Thanks for the advice. That really looks like a nice fish, but I think it would be very hard to get one. 

I keep my eyes open. 🙂

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

Thanks for the advice. That really looks like a nice fish, but I think it would be very hard to get one. 

I keep my eyes open. 🙂

Very true, might be harder to find. Just thought I would throw the idea out there

3 hours ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

Very true, might be harder to find. Just thought I would throw the idea out there

I appreciate it. 😊 It's a nice time to watch and explore all those nano fish and imagine how they will look in the tank.

Personally I like more active fish which will explore the rocks. So I think a small Pygmy or pink streaked wrasse would be perfect for me, together with a more calm fish like a Goby.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

I appreciate it. 😊 It's a nice time to watch and explore all those nano fish and imagine how they will look in the tank.

Personally I like more active fish which will explore the rocks. So I think a small Pygmy or pink streaked wrasse would be perfect for me, together with a more calm fish like a Goby.

That’s not a bad idea at all either

• Like 1

I still really like the Scholar's Rock-style, but it just wasn't right for the tank and for the fish I want to have, so it had to go.. Pictures later.

• Haha 2

Well, because I want a dwarf wrasse and it needs enough hiding places ánd because I didn't get the satisfaction out of the old scape I hoped for, I decided to change it (again). It took me some hours, but you can feel it when you (finally) have the scape that is ready to last and you don't feel the urge to change anything to it.

It's a Bommie-style-'ish' scape and the bottom stones are mostly free from the sandbed, so a lot more hiding places and the rock on the upper right side provides hiding places as well. The corals are still upset, but I see enough room for the Zoa's and mushrooms to grow. I would like to have a Lobo(phyllia) and a stony coral I can't remember the name of and then I would leave it all to grow. 🙂

IMGP7605.thumb.JPG.16fbd6ed6ac61c1a97ddfdd0395368c8.JPG

IMGP7601.thumb.JPG.4c839f39346f25d3cdbce240aabe4234.JPG

• Like 1
22 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

So far I like this scape the best.

Then you are lucky, cause I think it's the best scape (so far) as well. 👍 And I've transferred some more corals from my 31 gallon tank to this one.

By the way @debbeach13, it took me some time to figure out what your avatar really was. At first I thought it was some kind of funny monster! 😅

27 minutes ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

Then you are lucky, cause I think it's the best scape (so far) as well. 👍 And I've transferred some more corals from my 31 gallon tank to this one.

By the way @debbeach13, it took me some time to figure out what your avatar really was. At first I thought it was some kind of funny monster! 😅

!!! I know right??? The clowns look like eyes and the coral looks like a mouth, it's not just me XD