Jump to content
kimdawg

Tybee tank 9.6 gallon

Recommended Posts

kimdawg

  I decided to move the contents of my pico contest tank to a larger tank today.  It has the rock, fish, clean-up crew and frags from the pico tank plus I added three medium size rocks to give more height.  I was having a hard time moving things in it and I guess it was lack luster in looks to most people.  I will still be able to take care of this size tank by myself and can eventually add a fish and a few more inverts to it.

 

Tank      upaqua nano L series 9.6G

Light     Aqua Knight

HOB     Aqua clear 50

Pump   Hydor Koralia nano 240GPH

Rock    Reef Cleaners dry rock from pico

 

Livestock:

Mr. Blue fish- damsel

pom pom crab

snails

hermits

zoanthids

riccordea

 

The goal of the journal will be to document problems, changes, growth and any additions to the tank.  The pictures were taken just a few hours after the tank was set up.1.thumb.jpeg.8461e37b2fc9fbe1f4f03ad951766aa2.jpeg

 

2.thumb.jpeg.cbc9e99df83256bf8d59e3f71b26e7b9.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
4 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

  I decided to move the contents of my pico contest tank to a larger tank today.  It has the rock, fish, clean-up crew and frags from the pico tank plus I added three medium size rocks to give more height.  I was having a hard time moving things in it and I guess it was lack luster in looks to most people.  I will still be able to take care of this size tank by myself and can eventually add a fish and a few more inverts to it.

 

Tank      upaqua nano L series 9.6G

Light     Aqua Knight

HOB     Aqua clear 50

Pump   Hydor Koralia nano 240GPH

Rock    Reef Cleaners dry rock from pico

 

Livestock:

Mr. Blue fish- damsel

pom pom crab

snails

hermits

zoanthids

riccordea

 

The goal of the journal will be to document problems, changes, growth and any additions to the tank.  The pictures were taken just a few hours after the tank was set up.1.thumb.jpeg.8461e37b2fc9fbe1f4f03ad951766aa2.jpeg

 

2.thumb.jpeg.cbc9e99df83256bf8d59e3f71b26e7b9.jpeg

Yay! New tank! 😃

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
billygoat

Awesome! Congrats on the upgrade. I liked your pico, but I'm sure this one will look great too. 😊

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

I am excited for tomorrow, I start getting things I ordered on Black Friday in.  I have four fish coming two for this tank and two for my 75 gal, three RFA for the 75, zoas for this tank, and inverts for both tanks.  I also ordered a new power head, salt, and two part today.  I took advantage of the sales and spent the money I get for Christmas and birthday early.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
Just now, kimdawg said:

I am excited for tomorrow, I start getting things I ordered on Black Friday in.  I have four fish coming two for this tank and two for my 75 gal, three RFA for the 75, zoas for this tank, and inverts for both tanks.  I also ordered a new power head, salt, and two part today.  I took advantage of the sales and spent the money I get for Christmas and birthday early.

omgomgomgEarly Christmas!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

omgomgomgEarly Christmas!

I don't think it is every to early for Christmas!  😁  We kinda celebrate the whole month because Dec 22nd is my husbands B day and our anniversary, then my Bday is Christmas day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
24 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I don't think it is every to early for Christmas!  😁  We kinda celebrate the whole month because Dec 22nd is my husbands B day and our anniversary, then my Bday is Christmas day.

That’s awesome. 😃

 

was it a bummer as a kid having your bday on Xmas?

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

I didn't like it much, but I have a sister and nephew with Bdays on Dec. 26th so we all had a party together in the summer and called it our Birthday.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
1 minute ago, kimdawg said:

I didn't like it much, but I have a sister and nephew with Bdays on Dec. 26th so we all had a party together in the summer and called it our Birthday.

Winter birthdays were definitely a bummer. I think everyone I knew had summer birthdays and could do fun things outside. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
billygoat
11 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I didn't like it much, but I have a sister and nephew with Bdays on Dec. 26th so we all had a party together in the summer and called it our Birthday.

I love this! Take the reins and tell those seasons who's boss! 😁 I'd totally do something like that too if I had winter birthday. Any season can be a time for celebration. 

 

I'm excited to hear about all the aquarium goodies you got as well. It's definitely the season for loot! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

     I got the order in from Salt Critters this morning as promised.  It was well packed but still very cold water.  The zoanthids and RFA's are in the tank and open as I am typing.  I am very happy with the colors and they were really cheap prices because I ordered on a 45% day off.  The two tiny misbar clowns came in about 2:00 this afternoon and they were very well packed and still toasty warm.  The only had to travel from Orlando I think, which is a quick trip to Tybee.  I put them in this tank and they have already eaten and making laps around the tank.  I hope the screen top keeps them safe.  It has one small crack that opens into the HOB but we couldn't figure a way around that with a DIY screen.

 

I am concerned about the 2nd part of the order from Live Aquaria.  I ordered enough to get free next day air shipping and tomorrow is the 2nd full day.  The package spent last night in Louisville Kentucky and will be in Atlanta I guess tonight.  I don't see how the heat pack will last two nights in freezing temps.  I emailed them and voiced my concern.  I know things happen beyond their control, but this is my 2nd order from them and both times the shipping took 48 hours.  I plan to stay home for a second day to give the fish and inverts a fighting chance if they are still alive.  Sorry for the rant folks, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on fish orders and if they don't cover the shipping if I have to re-order the fish I may just be out the money I spent on them.😥

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Looks like a nice start. Interesting gallonage, what model is it? 

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg
40 minutes ago, Tired said:

Looks like a nice start. Interesting gallonage, what model is it? 

The package said upaqua nano L series.  I think it is an off brand, but my old LFS order them in a 3 or 4 tank package of multiple sizes bundled together.  It is a super clear rimless tank and looks like some of the more expensive brands, but it was only $35.00.  It was exactly the size tank I was looking for and when I found it I decided to change my competition pico tank stuff over to this tank.  I will post some more pics in a few days when the fish are more used to the tank lights.

 

I have the tiny blue springer damsel and the two tiny clowns in there.  None of them are over an inch long right now so I hope the tank will be big enough for the three of them full grown.  If anyone thinks that is too many fish for an almost 10 gallon tank please comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

It's workable bioload-wise, if you keep a close eye on things. More likely to be a problem is the fact that you have three damsels. Keep a close eye on them as the clowns mature and pair up. Maybe it'll work. Maybe it won't work, and, either by death or removal, you'll wind up with no blue in that tank.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

I have a 75 gallon and a 20 gallon that I can put him in if I have to.  I watch both of my tanks hours each day so I will be watching for aggression.

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
3 hours ago, kimdawg said:

     I got the order in from Salt Critters this morning as promised.  It was well packed but still very cold water.  The zoanthids and RFA's are in the tank and open as I am typing.  I am very happy with the colors and they were really cheap prices because I ordered on a 45% day off.  The two tiny misbar clowns came in about 2:00 this afternoon and they were very well packed and still toasty warm.  The only had to travel from Orlando I think, which is a quick trip to Tybee.  I put them in this tank and they have already eaten and making laps around the tank.  I hope the screen top keeps them safe.  It has one small crack that opens into the HOB but we couldn't figure a way around that with a DIY screen.

 

I am concerned about the 2nd part of the order from Live Aquaria.  I ordered enough to get free next day air shipping and tomorrow is the 2nd full day.  The package spent last night in Louisville Kentucky and will be in Atlanta I guess tonight.  I don't see how the heat pack will last two nights in freezing temps.  I emailed them and voiced my concern.  I know things happen beyond their control, but this is my 2nd order from them and both times the shipping took 48 hours.  I plan to stay home for a second day to give the fish and inverts a fighting chance if they are still alive.  Sorry for the rant folks, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on fish orders and if they don't cover the shipping if I have to re-order the fish I may just be out the money I spent on them.😥

LiveAquaria should refund your money if the livestock doesn't survive. They don't really have any control over what UPS decides to do once it leaves their facility. I once had a package from them that should've come on a Friday...UPS had plane issues so the package got to my state really late, and UPS kept saying "Yes it will deliver today, it will be delivered!"  Well, UPS lied to both me and to LiveAquaria (whom I'd called as soon as I realized there would be a possible problem and they had contacted UPS). My package was stuck in their facility over the weekend and while the shrimp, coral and crab survived, the poor pink streaked wrasse was well-deceased (wrasses can be delicate shippers and 4+ days in transit was way too much for him). LiveAquaria was great and refunded me for him and for the shrimp who died a few days later.  I didn't pay shipping due to my order qualifying for free shipping so I don't know how that might have been handled. I totally understand not having a lot of money to spend on ordering things because that's been my entire reefing life (having to save up and place a bigger order all at once to make the shipping worth it, or get free shipping if it's offered). It does stink when things don't make it. Sometimes I've had to just wait until I could afford to place another order and that can mean weeks to months of waiting. Guess it builds patience lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

My order from LiveAquaria came in today about lunch time.  It was 24 hours late and the water was 61 degrees by my husbands digital thermometer.  I followed the extended acclimation process that LA suggested in the email.  The devils hand leather is opening up a little, the snails and hermits seem to be doing their thing.  The starry blenny they sent is awesome and huge, like 3-4 inches long.  He is all over the tank exploring, but the royal gramma was almost dead.  I put it in the tank to give it a chance but have not seen it since if floated behind the rock wall.  It never swam and just looked like it was dying.  I have emailed the and asked for a replacement.  I hope I at least get credit for it.

 

Overall I am happy with the order.  The little clowns are so cute and the blenny is amazing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
21 hours ago, kimdawg said:

My order from LiveAquaria came in today about lunch time.  It was 24 hours late and the water was 61 degrees by my husbands digital thermometer.  I followed the extended acclimation process that LA suggested in the email.  The devils hand leather is opening up a little, the snails and hermits seem to be doing their thing.  The starry blenny they sent is awesome and huge, like 3-4 inches long.  He is all over the tank exploring, but the royal gramma was almost dead.  I put it in the tank to give it a chance but have not seen it since if floated behind the rock wall.  It never swam and just looked like it was dying.  I have emailed the and asked for a replacement.  I hope I at least get credit for it.

 

Overall I am happy with the order.  The little clowns are so cute and the blenny is amazing.

I'm sorry to hear about the gramma. Unfortunately livestock losses can happen even when the order arrives in time, much less when it's late. They usually will refund the cost of the fish if it passes. I've generally always had good interactions with LiveAquaria reps.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg
4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm sorry to hear about the gramma. Unfortunately livestock losses can happen even when the order arrives in time, much less when it's late. They usually will refund the cost of the fish if it passes. I've generally always had good interactions with LiveAquaria reps.

I emailed them and they were very helpful and I have a store credit to use in the future.  I will wait until after the first of the year and hopefully shipping will be faster then.  I have always had great luck with their fish this was my first loss.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
On 12/6/2019 at 2:01 AM, kimdawg said:

I emailed them and they were very helpful and I have a store credit to use in the future.  I will wait until after the first of the year and hopefully shipping will be faster then.  I have always had great luck with their fish this was my first loss.

Yeah the holidays can be a nerve-wracking time to order anything time-sensitive like our livestock. I'm always nervous when I get corals on Black Friday sales lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...