Cultivated Reef

What do I do with a caught polyclad flatworm

tinsel

Really long intro (sorry): I have caught what I believe to be a polyclad flatworm. I named it Jimmy. I did not realize I was having a grand opening of an escargot buffet as I just bought a new cleanup crew from reef cleaners and he ate half of it in one night... This is the first time I've ever seen him in my year and couple months of having my reef. I did wonder what happened to all my snails several months back. I did just complete a tank move two weeks ago so all my old rocks are in new positions and that's probably why I just now figured out he was in my tank. He's a little damaged in the photo since I stabbed him with a metal dental pick and scooped him out. He came out of the ordeal whole with no broken pieces.

Question: what do I do with it? I have problem with killing him especially now that I went and named him. He's an unwanted killer but I can't bring myself to do anything to him. Am I able to keep him in a cupand feed him maybe change the water? Any suggestions for my husband on how to end his life quickly? Also is there a possibility that there's more Jimmy's or a possibility that Jimmy laid eggs?

IMG_20191107_204754.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, tinsel said:

Really long intro (sorry): I have caught what I believe to be a polyclad flatworm. I named it Jimmy. I did not realize I was having a grand opening of an escargot buffet as I just bought a new cleanup crew from reef cleaners and he ate half of it in one night... This is the first time I've ever seen him in my year and couple months of having my reef. I did wonder what happened to all my snails several months back. I did just complete a tank move two weeks ago so all my old rocks are in new positions and that's probably why I just now figured out he was in my tank. He's a little damaged in the photo since I stabbed him with a metal dental pick and scooped him out. He came out of the ordeal whole with no broken pieces.

Question: what do I do with it? I have problem with killing him especially now that I went and named him. He's an unwanted killer but I can't bring myself to do anything to him. Am I able to keep him in a cupand feed him maybe change the water? Any suggestions for my husband on how to end his life quickly? Also is there a possibility that there's more Jimmy's or a possibility that Jimmy laid eggs?

IMG_20191107_204754.jpg

meet Chad

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

meet Chad

Chad lived a good life. Jimmy could do the same!

Or... you could euthanize it by putting it in your freezer. That's what I would do. 😬

• Like 3

Keep it! Couple gallons of water would be enough, especially if you pop in some chaeto to help keep it clean. Polyclads are gorgeous animals, and he should be pretty easy to feed with anything meaty. 

If you decide to kill it, don't flush it, that's not fast. Flatworms likely don't feel pain, which makes freezing an acceptable method. Or clove oil overdose, if you have that on hand- it can be used as an anesthetic for fish, and works on worms as well.