Case_

Melanarus or yellow coris........

Case_

First post! Id like to add a wrasse to my 40b, Either a melanarus or yellow coris. I fear the melanarus may get alittle too big. Does anyone have any input or experience with them. Only other fish would be 2 clowns.

colinadam

I had a yellow coris that I loved in a 30L. Just went carpet surfing in a tank with a mesh top (not fine enough mesh). If you can keep it in your tank it's a great fish, peaceful, plays well with others and it eats common pests like flatworms. 

• Like 1

Ratvan

I have a Yellow Coris (or Possibly Yellow & Purple Wrasse) and love it, I am slowly putting together a Wrasse tank (also have a Blue Spot Leopard), I also want a Hoevens Wrasse and either a flasher or fairy. The Yellow Wrasse actually has a slightly larger maximum size than the Hoevens

You will need to make sure that you have plenty of pods for the Wrasses to hunt and if you have any attachments to inverts or feather dusters you need to say goodbye before you get the Wrasse. 

Also Sandbed, you will need at least 2" of fine sandbed for the Wrasse to sleep in or escape to if frightened, alternatively if keeping one in a BB tank a Tupperware full of sand works nicely 

• Like 1

Tamberav

I would go for the yellow simply because a small juvi/female coris looks better than a female melanarus imo. The supermale melanarus has always been pretty large at my LFS. I saw one easily 5.5inches even though LA lists them maxing out at 4.5. 

You can see their neon yellow from across the room too.

Either works though imo but I would get them small. They get along better with other wrasses too of started out as juvies or females.

• Like 1

Case_
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I have a Yellow Coris (or Possibly Yellow & Purple Wrasse) and love it, I am slowly putting together a Wrasse tank (also have a Blue Spot Leopard), I also want a Hoevens Wrasse and either a flasher or fairy. The Yellow Wrasse actually has a slightly larger maximum size than the Hoevens

You will need to make sure that you have plenty of pods for the Wrasses to hunt and if you have any attachments to inverts or feather dusters you need to say goodbye before you get the Wrasse. 

Also Sandbed, you will need at least 2" of fine sandbed for the Wrasse to sleep in or escape to if frightened, alternatively if keeping one in a BB tank a Tupperware full of sand works nicely 

Yellow coris gets bigger than a melanarus whaaaaat....? I had no idea. The tank has been up & running since January, and has plenty of established rock,  sand. 

• Like 1

jservedio
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I would go for the yellow simply because a small juvi/female coris looks better than a female melanarus imo. The supermale melanarus has always been pretty large at my LFS. I saw one easily 5.5inches even though LA lists them maxing out at 4.5. 

You can see their neon yellow from across the room too.

Either works though imo but I would get them small. They get along better with other wrasses too of started out as juvies or females.

It's much easier to get a small one if you buy a super male - my terminal melanurus is just a little over 3" (much smaller mass than my female clown) and at least 8 years old. I've seen plenty of them pushing 6", so I would never get a baby unless I had a 75g or bigger tank.

jservedio
5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Eh, with the wrasses I've had, the sand only needs to be as deep as their body is wide. My guys have always slept on their side in the lowest-flow corner of the tank. Occasionally, mine will pick a spot with less than 1/4" of sand and he is just half-ass covered or no sand and just look dead. As long as you don't have little kids smacking your glass and you approach your tank calmly, you will never spook it - worst case they will just hide behind a rock.

The only time I've had mine dive for the sand to hide is when I was moving the tank.

• Like 1

Ratvan
Just now, jservedio said:

Eh, with the wrasses I've had, the sand only needs to be as deep as their body is wide. My guys have always slept on their side in the lowest-flow corner of the tank. Occasionally, mine will pick a spot with less than 1/4" of sand and he is just half-ass covered or no sand and just look dead. As long as you don't have little kids smacking your glass and you approach your tank calmly, you will never spook it - worst case they will just hide behind a rock.

The only time I've had mine dive for the sand to hide is when I was moving the tank.

My two go to sleep like missiles nose first almost a complete vertical dive into the sand

• Haha 1

jservedio
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

My two go to sleep like missiles nose first almost a complete vertical dive into the sand

They would learn real quick not to do that if you only had 1/4" of sand!

• Haha 1

Tamberav
2 hours ago, jservedio said:

It's much easier to get a small one if you buy a super male - my terminal melanurus is just a little over 3" (much smaller mass than my female clown) and at least 8 years old. I've seen plenty of them pushing 6", so I would never get a baby unless I had a 75g or bigger tank.

Every super male I have seen here in person is huge. Not that small ones don't exist but it's usually the terminal males they grow larger on wrasses. If they can find a small super male that should be fine too.

When I had juvies or females they stayed juvies or females for years that I had them. There wasn't another wrasse though to really give them much effort to change. They seem to grow incredibly slow. 

• Like 1