Bailyfox

Thoughts on my fish planned for 7 gallon cube?

Bailyfox

For my 7 gallon cube i'm considering stocking it with only 2 fish because of the small tank foot print of 12"x12"x12". I'm aware that many in the hobby feel like this is too many fish for this footprint but I've seen here that some go outside that way of thinking. Fish would of course only be added once the tank is fully cycled and stable, and there will be at least a month between adding the 2 fish.

I'm thinking of starting with the smaller fish first. I'm thinking it'll either be a green banded goby OR a 2 spot blenny, and then awhile later (at least a month preferably longer) I'm considering either a royal gramma OR a possum wrasse.

I'd like some opinions on whether this idea is a poor one or not and people's experience with these individual fish. I know royal grammas can be pricks which is why that fish if I choose it would be last after all potential cleaning crew members and inverts are added. I'm torn between the wrasse and gramma because while the wrasse is so damn cute and was the first non-eel fish to capture my attention, they do tend to be reclusive and with my limited stocking options I'd hate to get a fish I end up not seeing frequently. On the flip side from what I've read royal grammas can be royal pita's because they can be bullies, and I hate the thought of putting any fish through the stress of having to be brought back to the store because of aggression issues.

If anyone has alternate suggestions for stocking (that aren't a clownfish), particularly for midwater swimmers like the gramma or wrasse I'd love to hear them. Because of the small footprint here I want one small bottom hoping fish and one midwater so they aren't always up in each others business.

• Like 1

j.falk

Royal grammas get too big for that small of a fish box.

• Like 2

WV Reefer
8 minutes ago, Bailyfox said:

For my 7 gallon cube i'm considering stocking it with only 2 fish because of the small tank foot print of 12"x12"x12". I'm aware that many in the hobby feel like this is too many fish for this footprint but I've seen here that some go outside that way of thinking. Fish would of course only be added once the tank is fully cycled and stable, and there will be at least a month between adding the 2 fish.

I'm thinking of starting with the smaller fish first. I'm thinking it'll either be a green banded goby OR a 2 spot blenny, and then awhile later (at least a month preferably longer) I'm considering either a royal gramma OR a possum wrasse.

I'd like some opinions on whether this idea is a poor one or not and people's experience with these individual fish. I know royal grammas can be pricks which is why that fish if I choose it would be last after all potential cleaning crew members and inverts are added. I'm torn between the wrasse and gramma because while the wrasse is so damn cute and was the first non-eel fish to capture my attention, they do tend to be reclusive and with my limited stocking options I'd hate to get a fish I end up not seeing frequently. On the flip side from what I've read royal grammas can be royal pita's because they can be bullies, and I hate the thought of putting any fish through the stress of having to be brought back to the store because of aggression issues.

If anyone has alternate suggestions for stocking (that aren't a clownfish), particularly for midwater swimmers like the gramma or wrasse I'd love to hear them. Because of the small footprint here I want one small bottom hoping fish and one midwater so they aren't always up in each others business.

Green Banded Goby is a nice choice. They have great personality.

no gramma or wrasse......way too small for  both 

Bailyfox
7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Green Banded Goby is a nice choice. They have great personality.

no gramma or wrasse......way too small for  both 

What are your thoughts on single ocellaris or percula clownfish in setups less than 10 gallons? I've seen that a few times now and from what I've read they often top out around 3" in size similar to possum wrasses. Is the issue do to the animals size, swimming habits, or both?

• Like 2

WV Reefer
2 minutes ago, Bailyfox said:

What are your thoughts on single ocellaris or percula clownfish in setups less than 10 gallons? I've seen that a few times now and from what I've read they often top out around 3" in size similar to possum wrasses. Is the issue do to the animals size, swimming habits, or both?

Clownfish rarely leave their home..... they are not really swimmers. Wrasses, even small ones love to swim.  

• Like 1

Tired

IMO, 10 gallons is the minimum for even the small clowns. They do need some room to scoot around. And they should really be kept in pairs anyway.

For a tank that size, you're pretty much limited to small gobies and blennies. If you got the super tiny gobies like the eviotas and had some macroalgae for nitrate reduction, you could keep three. Otherwise, one or two fish. 

jambon

I have a yellow banded possum wrasse in my 16 gallon cube... they say a 10 gallon is the smallest tank size... they do seem to like hanging out in a small area providing there were enough hiding spots and grazing grounds I would consider a 7 gallon for one of these. I "had" a healthy pod population which he took care of in a short time. 

IMHO I would get a small yasha goby or black ray goby with a Randall's pistol shrimp instead they stay small and have great personalities. 

There are some nice small blennies which stay small as well.. segmented blennie, barnacle blennies... 

Assuming you have a clean up crew,  Add some nice coral frags you should be all set.

• Like 2

Bailyfox
5 hours ago, jambon said:

I have a yellow banded possum wrasse in my 16 gallon cube... they say a 10 gallon is the smallest tank size... they do seem to like hanging out in a small area providing there were enough hiding spots and grazing grounds I would consider a 7 gallon for one of these. I "had" a healthy pod population which he took care of in a short time. 

IMHO I would get a small yasha goby or black ray goby with a Randall's pistol shrimp instead they stay small and have great personalities. 

There are some nice small blennies which stay small as well.. segmented blennie, barnacle blennies... 

Assuming you have a clean up crew,  Add some nice coral frags you should be all set.

Thanks for the recommendations, I was considering a pygmy possum wrasse because of their more shy disposition from what I've read. Small Shrimp gobies are definitely high on the list as well. I'm planning mostly soft coral and some lps, as well as macroalgae and I'm going to have a hob aquaclear fuge too for additional filtration.

I can't remember are barnacle blennys the dudes that like to hide in caves and can be kept in small groups?

I'll be taking my time to consider what fish will be happiest though.

Tired

Barnacle blennies are the cave dudes, yes. 

My suggestion would be a tiny shrimpgoby (Yasha or blackray or the like), a candycane pistol, and a clown goby. They shouldn't fight, both fish are suitable for little tanks, and with some macroalgae you shouldn't have any major problems keeping the tank clean. Especially since shrimpgobies and their lower metabolisms have a pretty low bio-load even compared to other fish their size.

RedCrow

I’m actually going to be the dissenting voice and say that you’d be alright with a royal gramma. They usually stay in or very near to their chosen cave or crevasse. However, they are extremely territorial and one square foot of space may not be enough for it to share with another fish. 

• Like 1

Bailyfox
4 hours ago, Tired said:

My suggestion would be a tiny shrimpgoby (Yasha or blackray or the like), a candycane pistol, and a clown goby. They shouldn't fight, both fish are suitable for little tanks, and with some macroalgae you shouldn't have any major problems keeping the tank clean. Especially since shrimpgobies and their lower metabolisms have a pretty low bio-load even compared to other fish their size.

Will pistols kill other inverts like pom poms or porcelain crabs? When I was originally planning a 2.5 gallon pico I was considering a ycg but I'm worried they may not take to frozen or prepared foods. They are super cute but picky eaters stress me out real bad.

2 hours ago, RedCrow said:

I’m actually going to be the dissenting voice and say that you’d be alright with a royal gramma. They usually stay in or very near to their chosen cave or crevasse. However, they are extremely territorial and one square foot of space may not be enough for it to share with another fish. 

I figured if I went with the gramma it would be an only fish. I read they like to pick a cave and stick to it as well which Is why I'm considering one, but I haven't personally worked with any saltwater fish so I like to hear people's opinions. I've always been one to push the "rules" a bit as far as stocking goes but I want to make sure my fish will be very happy.

Gravity

Here is what I typically reference for stocking. 

• Like 1

jambon
20 hours ago, Tired said:

Hi Tired... not totally disagreeing but the barnacle blennie is more of a tube dweller, something they slip into and just hang out waiting for some food to float by. Where a royal gramma is more of a cave dweller . I think either one would work in a 7 gallon but the gramma would need a bit more food which would be more bio load. A small skimmer would help keep the algae under control. I guess it depends on what else was in the tank. 

• Like 1

Bailyfox
11 hours ago, jambon said:

Hi Tired... not totally disagreeing but the barnacle blennie is more of a tube dweller, something they slip into and just hang out waiting for some food to float by. Where a royal gramma is more of a cave dweller . I think either one would work in a 7 gallon but the gramma would need a bit more food which would be more bio load. A small skimmer would help keep the algae under control. I guess it depends on what else was in the tank. 

I'm planning a hob fuge with chaeto for a bit of extra biological filtration, plus I want macros in the tank itself. Do you think that would help handle the bioload?

Tired

Yep, planted tanks (which tanks with macros, essentially, are) can handle more nitrates. You'll still want to keep an eye on your nitrates, but it should be doable. 

1.0reef

Small liopropoma/assessors/gramma linki could work. Some trimma gobies and other gobies/blennies will spend time hovering in the water column as well. Small cardinal fish such as the yellow cardinal fish (Ora might still breed them) could also work.

Tamberav
On 11/7/2019 at 8:25 PM, Bailyfox said:

Green banded goby and two spot blenny would be perfect combo. 

My royal gramma got huge in just a year... Larger than my 5 year old female percula clown and will claim the whole tank so definitely pass on that if you want any other fish. 

• Like 2

jambon
10 hours ago, Bailyfox said:

I'm planning a hob fuge with chaeto for a bit of extra biological filtration, plus I want macros in the tank itself. Do you think that would help handle the bioload?

Hey Bailey... I just remembered years ago I kept a blue line pipefish in an 8 gallon biocube. It did very well in there. It had lots of pods graze on . With your refuge you could raise a healthy population. that is another interesting addition. In a matter of time mine was eating cyclop eze...

• Like 1

Bailyfox
26 minutes ago, jambon said:

Hey Bailey... I just remembered years ago I kept a blue line pipefish in an 8 gallon biocube. It did very well in there. It had lots of pods graze on . With your refuge you could raise a healthy population. that is another interesting addition. In a matter of time mine was eating cyclop eze...

I absolutely adore pipefish and would love to get one, however their feeding requirements make me too nervous to get one as my first saltwater fish.

8 hours ago, 1.0reef said:

Small liopropoma/assessors/gramma linki could work. Some trimma gobies and other gobies/blennies will spend time hovering in the water column as well. Small cardinal fish such as the yellow cardinal fish (Ora might still breed them) could also work.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Theres some species there I haven't heard of so I'll definitely look into them. That gramma linki is lovely.

• Like 1

jambon

It sounds like you are  quite new to marine aquariums... good advise is to take it slow... a tank will mature over a long period. It's kinda like a sewage treatment plant in theory... whatever you put in,  the system has to deal with. If you have a regular maintenance schedule and stick to it, it helps..

There are some brilliant people hanging around here to help out.

My first attempt I jumped in full speed ahead and crashed badly! 

Bailyfox
35 minutes ago, jambon said:

It sounds like you are  quite new to marine aquariums... good advise is to take it slow... a tank will mature over a long period. It's kinda like a sewage treatment plant in theory... whatever you put in,  the system has to deal with. If you have a regular maintenance schedule and stick to it, it helps..

There are some brilliant people hanging around here to help out.

My first attempt I jumped in full speed ahead and crashed badly! 

Yup it'll be my first saltwater tank so I'm taking it very very slowly.

RedCrow
11 hours ago, Bailyfox said:

That gramma linki is lovely.

They’re beautiful fish, but unfortunately they’re very difficult to find..

• Like 1

Bailyfox
7 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

They’re beautiful fish, but unfortunately they’re very difficult to find..

Yeah I saw as much when I looked them up. I've also added swalesi basslets, yellow, and gold assessors to the list of loosely possible fish. Its too bad candy basslets are so ridiculously expensive or they'd be on there too lol.

• Like 1