Innovative Marine Aquariums

KEEPING IT SIMPLE

leighla

After a year and a half of learning about reef tanks and experimenting with nano tanks, sizes 5 gal -38 long, I have reduced and consolidated into a 55 gallon. I have also adopted a motto: KEEPING IT SIMPLE.

Like many new to the hobby, I made mistakes, poor choices, and often over extended myself. I thought my experience with freshwater and brackish tanks would help my learning curve, but....I lost fish and I lost corals. I stopped naming the fish because I figured they'd die. I'd buy more expensive and harder to maintain coral figuring I'd work harder to get it "right". Clearly this wasn't about the pursuit and enjoyment of a closed aquatic system and the beauty those small ecosystems bring into one's life.

Mirroring my life, I also lost my job, my health, my sobriety, and so much of the daily joy I normally experienced. Was this because of the fish? Of course not, were the tanks, obsessive behaviors and need to control these environments symptomatic of my larger issues? Absolutely.

So here I am, 6 months into a new job, rebuilding myself and my family in ways that are positive. Supporting a healthy lifestyle has meant being honest about this "hobby" of mine. It is an addiction and I have to treat it as such. While I have been to my share of 12 step meetings for alcohol abuse, I have yet to attend one for MTS (multiple tank syndrome). But the obsession and cravings are real, they are powerful and they can cause damage. I hurt my family financially, my bedroom was like the back room of a fish store at times, and I carry the shame and guilt over the deaths of the many fish that I caused through my inability to control my impulses. 

Slowly, I began regaining clarity and some peace in my life. I realized to continue on the way I was would lead to repeated failure. The time and the cost of maintaining the many tanks were over the top, and I was failing to keep up and spending more money trying to fix the problems.

Getting honest, I asked for help. I sold what I could, rehomed what I could, and I worked with my husband to come up with a plan that brings me back to the love of fish keeping.

Welcome to KEEPING IT SIMPLE.

This build is inspired by WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty....gorgeous tank.

Size:

The 55 gallon is a cheapo glass tank from Petco.

Placement:

I set it up in the living room where we can all enjoy it. This was also done to get me out of my bedroom. I love watching the fish, and on days when my health is poor or my depression is overwhelming they bring me comfort. I think though that having them in my bedroom kept me in bed. Now I am in the sun, on the couch, and it is easier to engage with the world. I'll be honest, it sits on an Ikea TV stand that my husband inspected and deemed capable of holding the weight. 

Sand and Rock:

I added 10lbs of white live sand and 20 lbs of black sand, which makes for a 3-4 inch bed throughout the tank. I also moved over approximately 40 lbs of live rock from the multiple tanks I had broken down.

Lighting:

I run 2 AI HD Prime lights, which are side mounted. They are on a 12 hour schedule, but I will often vary it when I work from home just to see the tank in different light, so to speak.

Pump:

I use a Gyre Flow Pump, IceCap Ik. It is centered and mounted vertically towards the top of the tank on the back wall. I also use a whisper pump small stone for added O2. I like the look and after loosing fish to suffocation once it just makes me feel better to have it there.

I also have a heater which I keep at 77, but I rarely check the actual temperature since our house stays at a steady temp here in FL.

That's it, no sump or filter. I have my own RODI system and I do a 20% water change every 5 days or so. 

The livestock are not new, just the build is. 

Fish:

Pair of Ocellaris Clowns

Falco Hawkfish

Tailspot Blenny

File fish

Firefish Goby

Inverts:

BTA/anemone crab

Carpet/anemone crab x2

Coral Banded Shrimp

Urchin

3-5 Hermit Crabs

Coral:

Plates

Torches

Mushroom/Rics 

Toadstools

Hammer

GSP

Zoas

Gorgs

I have valued the shared experiences, advice and lessons from this forum, and hope that my participation helps as well.

My hope with this build is to keep it simple, maintain an easy routine and just enjoy what is there in all its beauty and health.

IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.8ec2e2388cc8a82ce4109939b1876263.JPG

XeniasIMG_1375.thumb.JPG.f8b2cd088b9dad5623efc87746294d0a.JPGIMG_1378.thumb.JPG.cf2e826d10ccb1b171f62403dfefd6fc.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

• Like 4

Your new tank looks great!  I think you have made many smart decisions.  I suffer from depression because of an accident, so I kinda know where you are coming from.  I keep my tanks in the living room so I stay connected to my family as well.  I have two tanks now but I am older and no longer work so it keeps me busy fussing over them and just watching them.  If the hobby is not enjoyable changing it is a smart idea.  I look forward to reading more about your tank journey.

• Like 2