Kfrizzell

Newbie here with a 14 gallon tank need all the help I can get!

Kfrizzell

Hello there new aquarium friends. I’m totally new to this whole world of aquariums. I’ve never really had a cool setup like I’ve received from my gfs father. 

He gave me a bunch of awesome tools to make an epic aquarium.

I have been wanting to make an awesome aquarium for my home for some time now.  But it’s such a costly but well worth it kind of hobby. 

I have been given a 14 gallon Oceanic bio cube. 
Also there is a new light that he added from stevesled. I need to figure out the configuration of the plugins to the lights. Also learning how to setup the timing for all the light. Also have no idea what cycles to set up the timers on. 

He suggested some things to get started:

10 lbs of live sand carribsea arag-Alice aquarium sand.

3 x 5 galling imagitarium Pacific Ocean water

5-10 pounds of live rock 

If any of you have any good starter tips or and any information on the light setups and timers please feel free to help.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

sadie

welcome to the hobby and the forum.  The Biocube is a nice All In One tank.  I have the 16 gal.

The list to start with looks good.  Some ppl buy already mixed salt water, I prefer to buy the salt and mix it myself.  That's about all you need to start the cycle. 

My biggest suggestion is research.  Ask a lot of questions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

seabass

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

I can't say that I know much about the lighting that you have.  It looks like it comes with a timer; if not, you could plug the light's power supply into a standard three pronged outlet timer.  Also, you can always ask him.  He's probably hoping you'll bond a little over it.  I hope you're fairly serious about his daughter.

• Like 1

Kfrizzell
On 11/6/2019 at 6:28 PM, sadie said:

welcome to the hobby and the forum.  The Biocube is a nice All In One tank.  I have the 16 gal.

The list to start with looks good.  Some ppl buy already mixed salt water, I prefer to buy the salt and mix it myself.  That's about all you need to start the cycle. 

My biggest suggestion is research.  Ask a lot of questions.  

Thank you a lot For getting back , I have been researching a lot and I’m having trouble finding live rock. 

Still can’t figure out the timers for the lights. I’m trying to get some live sand and water to start the whole process . But now I need to figure out the filtration system and what not. 
Having a blast setting it up I cannot wait for it to be up and running. 

sadie

I would email the company and ask them about the lights.

Gravity

i also have a 14 gal Biocube, not oceanic. It’s a great tank. Not entirely familiar with the light upgrade you have but most people operate it around 50%. Assuming it’s a two channel light with one blue and one white. I would maybe suggest start 20% white and 40% blue or adjust white to visual preference. As for the exact setup it would depend on the controller, their latest is hurricaneX.

For filtration I would recommend the following. 
- Chamber One remove false bottom if still installed and place heater (may want to buy a new one they tend to fail after a year or two). 
-Chamber Two remove all the bioballs, place filter floss on the top and can add carbon bag in bottom. May want to eventually get an InTank basket. 
-Chamber Three return pump and may want to get auto top off to replace evaporation but can be done by hand to start. 

Live rock can be hard to find. The local fish store is a good bet otherwise liveaquaria.com sells some. A lot of people also use dry rock which is available online (bulk reef supply/ marine depot/ saltwater aquarium).  

• Like 1