Crazyju

Crazyju's getting backintoit 10g build

Crazyju

Been out of the hobby completely for over 10 years now. Wow a lot has changed. I had a 120g mixed reef and a few small mixed reefs from 2001-2009. Wanting to get back into slowly with a small tank before I take on another big one. I have been reading non stop for the last month and have decided on a 10 gallon half moon to start. I am in no hurry and if you see me making a mistake, let me know. Here is what I have so far:

10 gallon half moon tank with stand   20gallon Tall

xr-15 gen 4 with difusser and mounting arm

cpr aqu-fuge Small

1k gyre with controller

smart micro ATO.

I plan to get it wet this weekend. I have about 100 lbs of rock that used to be in my old tank before, and plan to use 20 or so lbs in this tank. I believe i am going to go bare bottom, with the HOB and just water changes. Plans for corals still in the air, but if I know me, it will be a little bit of everything. Is there a media basket that will work well in the cpr? What is everyone running in their baskets? I have a 4 stage ro system that I bought years ago from Bulk reef supply. What is the best salt these days?

• Like 2

Clown79
1 hour ago, Crazyju said:

Been out of the hobby completely for over 10 years now. Wow a lot has changed. I had a 120g mixed reef and a few small mixed reefs from 2001-2009. Wanting to get back into slowly with a small tank before I take on another big one. I have been reading non stop for the last month and have decided on a 10 gallon half moon to start. I am in no hurry and if you see me making a mistake, let me know. Here is what I have so far:

10 gallon half moon tank with stand

xr-15 gen 4 with difusser and mounting arm

cpr aqu-fuge Small

1k gyre with controller

smart micro ATO.

I plan to get it wet this weekend. I have about 100 lbs of rock that used to be in my old tank before, and plan to use 20 or so lbs in this tank. I believe i am going to go bare bottom, with the HOB and just water changes. Plans for corals still in the air, but if I know me, it will be a little bit of everything. Is there a media basket that will work well in the cpr? What is everyone running in their baskets? I have a 4 stage ro system that I bought years ago from Bulk reef supply. What is the best salt these days?

Everything sounds good.

You don't need 20lbs of rock in a 10g, it will leave you minimal room for corals, fish, and cleaning. 10lbs is really about the most you need.

Best salt is subject to user. We all have our favourite. I love red sea blue bucket because it's very consistent, mixes quickly, doesn't have high alk.

For media in media basket, a good carbon and filter floss is the basic go to. Some run purigen and if needed/when needed phos reducers.

• Like 1

Crazyju

Found the location for the tank....I think. I have 4 or 5 heaters sitting around, a few unopened, but I am sure they are cheap ones. What would be a good quality heater for this one? This tank is 19" tall where to start on the % on the xr-15 lights?

Tank Purchased.jpg

Crazyju

Put some water in last night with around 14lbs of rock.  I am not sure if I am going to like this tank. Distortion is pretty bad. I may just pick up a 20 gallon tall and try it.

First water.jpg

• Like 3

Crazyju

Decided that I just did not like the 10 gallon half moon. Went a picked up a 20 tall. Much better. The xr15 came in. Very bright! Got the HOB installed along with the ATO and the gyre.  I really thought the 1k gyre would move alot more water than it does. Still need to pick up a good heater. The biggest one I had on hand was only 50 watts and Is not keeping up.

20 Gallon.jpg

20 Gallon Acin.jpg

• Like 2

Crazyju

Just placed an order for a light to go on the HOB, replacement filters and resin for the RO/DI. I have some chaeto on the way as well.

jservedio

Good start! I do love me some old-school 20g tall tanks. Be careful with that XR15 when you start adding coral - the Radions are absurdly powerful, especially with the narrower angle optics on them. When I first got my Radion, I put it together on my couch and didn't realize it turned itself on immediately until I smelled burning fabric.  It burned some holes in the cushion in the exact shape of the individual lenses in about 15 seconds!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Crazyju

Yes, they are intense. What would be a good starting percentage? I know that will depend on the coral, but on a tank this small are we talking about 30-50%

jservedio
5 minutes ago, Crazyju said:

Yes, they are intense. What would be a good starting percentage? I know that will depend on the coral, but on a tank this small are we talking about 30-50%

On my SPS dominant tank, I run mine at 40% currently with the wide angle optics (which lowers intensity) for 6 hours (also ramping up for 2 hours and ramping down for 3 hours). With an XR15 (mine is an XR30) on a typical mixed reef, I would probably start around 20% and ramp it up to about 50% over the course of 3-4 months once you've got a decent amount of coral.

Crazyju

I

1 minute ago, jservedio said:

On my SPS dominant tank, I run mine at 40% currently with the wide angle optics (which lowers intensity). With an XR15 (mine is an XR30) on a typical mixed reef, I would probably start around 20% and ramp it up to about 50% over the course of 3-4 months once you've got a decent amount of coral.

Is that on a 20g tall as well?

Clown79
5 hours ago, Crazyju said:

Decided that I just did not like the 10 gallon half moon. Went a picked up a 20 tall. Much better. The xr15 came in. Very bright! Got the HOB installed along with the ATO and the gyre.  I really thought the 1k gyre would move alot more water than it does. Still need to pick up a good heater. The biggest one I had on hand was only 50 watts and Is not keeping up.

20 Gallon.jpg

20 Gallon Acin.jpg

Looks good. I think you'll like the standard better.

I have a 3.5g half moon, it was a cheap tank but ya the distortion was annoying, so was the footprint.

Good heaters:

Cobalt neotherm, eheim jagger, aqueon pro.

I've had my jagger for 5 yrs, no issues. Cobalt is going on 2 and same with the aqueon.

A good controller that doesn't break the bank is the inkbird. 

jservedio
10 minutes ago, Crazyju said:

Is that on a 20g tall as well?

Yes, it's over a 20g tall (link). When I say 40%, I don't even mean I'm using 40% of the power - just the "master" is set to 40% power. I'm only using 26% of the lights full power (approximately 38w) for an acro-dominated tank.

Here is what my daily schedule looks like:

radion-settings.thumb.jpg.36a267f4594ab4428dadc9e37c785a83.jpg

Crazyju
35 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Yes, it's over a 20g tall (link). When I say 40%, I don't even mean I'm using 40% of the power - just the "master" is set to 40% power. I'm only using 26% of the lights full power (approximately 38w) for an acro-dominated tank.

Here is what my daily schedule looks like:

radion-settings.thumb.jpg.36a267f4594ab4428dadc9e37c785a83.jpg

Wow, nice tank! I would have killed everything on the first move.

• Thanks 1

Crazyju

Got the lights programmed last night. Went with the settings about (thanks jservedio). The blue led on the ATO was way too bright to be on while sleeping so I put it on a timer. I got some wifi mini plugs off of Amazon and they were very easy to setup. The H80 tuna flora came in for HOB just need to figure a way to mount it. I will drag the RO/DI system out of storage and get it going this week. My refractometer had been stored for almost 10 years, so I ordered some calibration fluid. It was dead on. I have never had to adjust this meter. Tank has been running now for 10 days now and the water is still crystal clear. I have some chaeto on the way, and I now wish I would have waited. I really thought I would have started to have some algae by now.

• Like 1

Wonderboy

Just throw some extra food in there - you'll have nutrients for the chaeto quickly

• Like 1

Crazyju

I put the chaeto in last night and will install the H80 tuna tonight if the mount arrives. The CPR HOB came with a rio 200. In just 10 days of running it has become very loud. What would be a quiet replacement pump? I have this tank in the bedroom and as is , is not going to work. It was very quiet initially .

Wonderboy

Have you taken it apart and checked to see if anyting is caught in there?

Crazyju

Yes, it is clean and the impeller and magnet look as new.