Top Shelf Aquatics

getting algae off acan

sadie

I had a bit of an algae bloom after adding some pods/rotifers to my tank.  I have algae growing on my acan, between the heads, not just on the plug.  I took it out, put it in a cup of tank water and tweezed what I could off it.  I got some, but not all of it.  It kinda grew again so this time I dipped a toothbrush in 50/50 tank water and peroxide and brushed just the plug and tweezed some more.  It doesn't really get the algae off though, more like mows it.

How aggressive should I get with trying to get the algae off?

• Like 1

pics always help, but my pics aren't great.

It's worse on the back side, but you can see how it's all around the head.  I can't tweeze it to good because I'm afraid of hurting the flesh.

algae acan 11.5.19.JPG

algae on acan 11.5.19.JPG

algae on acan white light 11.5.19.JPG

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sadie said:

I had a bit of an algae bloom after adding some pods/rotifers to my tank.  I have algae growing on my acan, between the heads, not just on the plug.  I took it out, put it in a cup of tank water and tweezed what I could off it.  I got some, but not all of it.  It kinda grew again so this time I dipped a toothbrush in 50/50 tank water and peroxide and brushed just the plug and tweezed some more.  It doesn't really get the algae off though, more like mows it.

How aggressive should I get with trying to get the algae off?

I keep going until my CUC can keep it all in check. Weird that it started after the pods, i guess there was a lot of phyto in the pod bag. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I keep going until my CUC can keep it all in check. Weird that it started after the pods, i guess there was a lot of phyto in the pod bag. 

It was my second batch of pods, so I think I should have waited a bit longer in between.

32 minutes ago, TheonlyDaan said:

@sadie Works perfect for acans 😉👍

thanks.  I think I will try it.  Maybe start with 1 minute.  

• Like 1

I did it.  I was so nervous.  I figured I should do a couple so I did one of my zoosand my kenya.  I had one more zoa that needs it, but didn't want to do too much at once.  I never see my hermits or snails on my coral.  I did the acan for only a minute and rinsed it in a bowl of tank water and gently blasted it with turkey baster.  I did the zoa and kenya for a few seconds longer.  We'll see what happens tomorrow. 😬

As soon as I put my kenya tree back in, a little narsarius snail climbs right up the tree!

after peroxide 11.6.19..JPG

after peroxide 11.6.19.JPG

after peroxide11.6.19.JPG

FTS 11.6.19.JPG

• Like 1

Not too impressed with peroxide dip.  I waited a couple days.  Maybe now it would be easier to pull off manually, but I feel like they have been poked and prodded enough for this week.  But then I think better do it while they are still mad.  

Any thoughts?  I don't see much difference.  Not like in the video.

1 day after dip 11.8.19.JPG

zoas 1 day after dip 11.8.19.JPG

GetPsyched2124

Peroxide dip has always worked for me for the basic algae's with Acans and Zoas. I've used 20% peroxide (3%) and 80% tank water in a small plastic container for 5-6 minutes with Zoas.

the only algae or pest i couldn't completely rid from a frag of zoas was bryopsis. although it severely weakens the bropsis to where it won't really grow and you can pluck the rest of it off with tweezers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GetPsyched2124 said:

Peroxide dip has always worked for me for the basic algae's with Acans and Zoas. I've used 20% peroxide (3%) and 80% tank water in a small plastic container for 5-6 minutes with Zoas.

the only algae or pest i couldn't completely rid from a frag of zoas was bryopsis. although it severely weakens the bropsis to where it won't really grow and you can pluck the rest of it off with tweezers.

How long did it take to work?  In the video it showed it 24 hrs later.  These pictures are 2 days later.  I guess I notice a little difference on the zoas, but not really on my acan.  

They have no algae on them.  I was gone for 3 days and when I came back, they looked a little weird.  Then I realized it's because their little feeder tenticles were out.  I haven't seen those yet.  So I guess they are doing good.  

I let the zoas sit for 2 minutes, I don't know why I chickened out with my acans.  It worked, it just didn't work as quick as others peoples.  My zoas have all been opening, it's the most open I have seen them since I bought them.  Though they still aren't FULLY open.  I think it's the skirt that doesn't open.  You can see the very center and their mouths, but that's it.

• Like 1