Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help with zoa pest

Ehbomb

Hi guys,

This my first post on the forum and I would like start off by saying thank you.  I’ve read so many threads and have learned everything I know as of right now from you all.  

On one of my zoas,  I believe it has a sponge growing on it. It seams to be growing fast and the zoas aren’t Fully opening anymore.  I pulled it once before. And scraped everything I could see off.  Then followed up with a dip in revive.  But it’s grown back and bigger in the last three weeks.  

on my second set of zoas  I have what I believe Our digitate hydroids.   

I hoping someone can help me I.d. these and possibly come up with a solution for getting rid of them.  

parameters 

alk: 7.8

calcium: 400

mag: 1200

nitrate: 2

phos: .01-.05

DE719E95-FBF2-4433-8F59-1DDF45176E56.jpeg

04CA6422-919C-4C5C-82E5-F781996A9EF4.jpeg

Looks about right.

The hydroids don't seem to be bothering your coral, so I'd leave them alone. 

For the sponges, pull them off and take a toothbrush to the area where they were, try and get as much as possible off.

Ok thanks.

i didn’t get a response right away.  So I did that.  Then I took the rock out and scrubbed the parts of sponge of the rock.  Then gave the rock a fresh water dip.  Time will tell. 

now the digitate hydroids, are they able to spread from that frag?  Would it be safe to add the frag to one of the rocks? 

Hydroids can spread, but since your zoas seem unbothered, this may not be one of the troublesome kinds. Some are weak enough that they just get steamrollered by corals. 

Those are some nice ones on the second frag! Any idea what kind/color variety they are and if they're zoas or palys? They look kinda like palys- how big are they?

• Like 1

I bought them as utter kaos zoas from the lfs. But they’ve grown so big, I started questioning if they were palys too. The big one is about 3/4  in diameter.  They look amazing under blue light!  

I strongly suspect those are palys by the size and shape, and they're really nice. I almost wonder- are there two varieties on the rock? One more on the left has that kind of radiating sunset coloration, and the one on the right and center just look to have white dots. If I were you, I'd gently annoy them with a turkey baster so they close, and look to see if those are even connected at all. It might be two mixed varieties instead of one combined colony.

7 hours ago, Ehbomb said:

I bought them as utter kaos zoas from the lfs. But they’ve grown so big, I started questioning if they were palys too. The big one is about 3/4  in diameter.  They look amazing under blue light!  

Utter Chaos is a Palythoa

7 hours ago, Tired said:

I strongly suspect those are palys by the size and shape, and they're really nice. I almost wonder- are there two varieties on the rock? One more on the left has that kind of radiating sunset coloration, and the one on the right and center just look to have white dots. If I were you, I'd gently annoy them with a turkey baster so they close, and look to see if those are even connected at all. It might be two mixed varieties instead of one combined colony.

Yup i'd say Palys, the mouth slit (Paly) as apposed to circular anus (Zoa)also looks as though they have incorporated substrate into the building structure