Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

some good news, my parameters are back in check and I think my tank has stabilized. I redid my aquascape a bit today in order to make it more stable and add some height. 

also...

II recently got a car (I live in NYC and have not had one for the past five years), so I decided to visit a couple of the LFS in my area that prior to having a car were unreachable. I visited @Aquarium Care Center and Peices Of The ocean. I was very impressed with both stores.  I decided to treat myself and get a few things since both stores were having some pretty serious sales. 

• Dragon soul Torch frag 
  • Rasta Torch frag 
  • Yellow tip torch frag (not sure about the name) 
  • Dragon Soul Favia 
  • Like green favia 
  • orange lobo frag 
  • fat head Dendro 
  • red chalice
  • “sunburst anemone” (unknown linage, though may just be a yellow rainbow) - will go with the other BTAs in the mantis pico. 
  • yellow and green chalice 
  • Rasta zoanthids 
  • Sunny Ds 
  • orange hornets
  • purple and green enchinata 

I also placed an order with www.marine collectors.com for a Mombasa lionfosh. The fish will be quarantined for two weeks prior to shipping and will be eating. The fish is going to cost me About 3x what I would normally pay for one, but I think it’s worth it.  

• Like 2
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• William

• ef4life

• Pjanssen

• Matteo

5 hours ago, William said:

order with www.marine collectors.com

You know

I totally love the idea of marine collectors

And buy BRS Ryan's notion that these are pets. And that pre quarantined fish is a value. I buy it

But I keep hitting a mental wall

I just can't over the wall of buying an animal as expensive as my Doberman, won't sleep in my bed with me, that is 3 inches long, doesn't follow commands, and never will (heresy I know).  I am speaking more of file fish or clowns or whatever

Always wanted a lionfish, box fish, waspfish, puffers. Probably why the only fish I have currently is a Petco Domino Damsel I want to feed to the neighbor cat

• 2 weeks later...

My two Mombasa Lionfish should arrive tomorrow... fingers crossed. 

Also, I think I may have to upgrade my aquarium when I move in may... 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 12:02 AM, Reeferadicto13 said:

Nice tank! I’m thinking on getting the kamoer pump x1 what’s yo experience with them? Would recommend them 

I love them. Super easy and

super

versatile 

Some updates:

allmost all of my corals have died (ammonia spike) one of the lions has died (never ate very well), but all of the other fish are doing well. The coral losses seem to have stopped thankfully and with the exception of a hair algae outbreak (which probably saved my fish from death during the ammonia spike), all has stabilized. The ammonia spike was caused by a faulty ATO pump that led to my return pump running dry and then shutting off, which led to poor filtration. At the same time my lionfosh may have died (I was out of town,

so I don’t know what came first), and a bunch of snails died. 

• Sad 3

Since this time (mid January) I have purchased a new ATO (Neptune ATK) and a new return pump (Neptune cor 20). I have also purchased battery backups for my gyre pumps. I serviced and recalibrated my trident (readings were way off) and I cleaned all of my in sump equipment (skimmer, reactor, klir). The only thing I need to do is replace the bulb in my UV sterilizer. I also added an additional box of Maxspect biomedia. 

I also went ahead and purchased a par meter as I’m tired of renting one every time I want to change my light intensity. 

The only remaining corals right now are some very ragged looking LPS (torches, Duncan) and some zoas. 

im trying to decide which way I want to go with the tank at this point. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Reeferadicto13 said:

Sorry to hear about your losses!  Hope everything bounces back!

Yea I came very close to just shutting everything down, and I probably would have if the fish had not survived. I sent ICP analysis as well (still waiting on the results) to see if there could be anything else going on. I know I’m at a decent risk for heavy metal poisoning since my return pump essently melted down. I have been running carbon and metasorb since things came back online. 

• 2 weeks later...

Things are finally looking better. I ordered a bunch of coral from unique corals which will be here at the end of the week. 

CADC7990-0AC6-4C4F-A22B-FB969697D61D.jpeg

im also really thinking about adding sand...

• Like 2

So my nitrate (65) and phosphate (0.7) have been really elevated lately, so I decided to try and increase my nutrient exports by upgrading my skimmer. I went with the duala great white GW -12. This skimmer is overkill for this system, but it should Be sufficient for my next tank as well. 

D7D7AB72-731E-4A00-85BA-8D170AE6F2C9.jpeg

1B9AD9D7-240A-40A6-A4A4-05995AF392FD.jpeg

• Like 3

I recently purchased a par meter (got it for a steal from a reefer getting out of the hobby), and right now I have my lights set so the the middle of the tank has a par of ~250 with he bottom glass having a par of ~ 150. 

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...