• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• William

• ef4life

• Pjanssen

• Matteo

The Red Sea skimmer is really doing a great job, After watching the BRS protein skimmer videos, I put a ball valve on the air intake and have found that about halfway open provides the best results. 

the collection cup was emptied two days ago.

684BE190-CE1C-4A10-957D-9E34C2904278.jpeg

• Like 1

The birdsnest has completely died, now the setosa in the left has started receding .... I’m not sure what is going on. Ca was a little low at 350 and alk was 10. No3 is 1. 

• Sad 2

I’m still having issues with what is either the worst case of diatoms I have seen, or it’s dinoflagellates. I need to replace my RODI filter but I was hoping i would not have to, as I won a new one as part of the pico contest. 

in other news, I have my second RS LED 90 mounted. 

• 4 weeks later...

Things seem to be turning a corner for this tank (my pico is looking worse). I have been adding vibrant and dosing potassium nitrate, as well as using a filter roller and UV sterilizer. I also removed my biopellet reactor.  But battling dinoflagellates is one of the least fun things I have had to do in this hobby and I have had to do it 3 times in the last two years. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
17 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Sorry about Dino. R u still dosing vibrant and skimming?  Isn’t that opposite to what you’d want?  Increased nutrient and some algae?

Supposedly the magic unicorn juice that is in vibrant will actively attack Dino’s. It could be doing nothing but it seems to have helped. I haven’t taken a scientific approach to battling it as i just want it gone. So I have raised nitrate to 20, and dosed vibrant and MB7. 

the filter roller manually removes some of them and the UV outflow is at the skimmer Inflow so hopefully the killed Dino’s are being sucked out. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, William said:

Supposedly the magic unicorn juice that is in vibrant will actively attack Dino’s. It could be doing nothing but it seems to have helped. I haven’t taken a scientific approach to battling it as i just want it gone. So I have raised nitrate to 20, and dosed vibrant and MB7. 

the filter roller manually removes some of them and the UV outflow is at the skimmer Inflow so hopefully the killed Dino’s are being sucked out. 

Makes sense with regards to the removal with skimmer.  I haven’t seen anything about vibrant vs dino, that’s interesting.  Hopefully this will fix it soon. 

tbh, I did water change like crazy when I had mine, ~15% every couple days, to removal any floating dino that I can dislodge from surfaces. I got lucky that mine was only on the back wall and glass at the time, so easy scraping.  we have the aggressive removal part of the plan in common

My battle with the Dino’s seems to be working, there is only a slight bit o the glass but nothing compared to the past few days. Also I was able to get the MP40 set up in the back right. It is such a strong pump. Right now I’m only running it at 20-30%

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates..... I have had quite a few hiccups with this tank:

- I am continuing  to battle a Dino and hair Algae outbreak 

- I am battling aptasia, 

- my eel was killed by my Vortech MP40 

• Sad 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 10:48 PM, ValerieR said:

How are the red waspfish settling in? 

They are both doing very well. They are mostly nocturnal though. My last pair were much more active. I think part of it may be the two (much larger) lionfish that they share the aquarium with....

• Like 1

Updated pics. Things seem to be getting marginally better. I put some berghia nudibranchs in the tank, hopefully they will help with the aptasia. 

9EFB24DD-EC37-49BD-9869-E5B506E24479.jpeg

19F5119A-38B4-43F1-A132-6F2748F51F9E.jpeg

A2F29563-6420-4DC8-B73D-E744179B3C99.jpeg

CD081715-1298-4CE7-AC4A-CACB300AB3D9.jpeg

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Looking nice! Great fish selection too 🙂

Thanks, I’ve been  trying to get it back under control.