Innovative Marine Aquariums

Spicy's Fluval Evo V

waytoospicy

Broke down my 10 gallon tank and only transferred over my two domino clownfish. Seeded with live rock from FTS.

I'm using crushed coral as substrate as i've had issues with finer sand being blown around from the circulation pump. I'm going to stay with the stock light for now and planning for softies like xenia/gsp/mushrooms and some hammers/torches. 

Equipment:

Using all stock equipment plus,

50w heater

koralia nano circulation pump

Day one 11/2/19:

spacer.png

• Like 2

Got some frags over the weekend - torch, xenia, gsp. I also switched out the light to the current orbit marine from my previous 10 gallon. I think the torch will appreciate a little stronger light.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Love the clowns! Especially the all black one. I'm not sure a 5gal is quite large enough to keep them long-term, though. They need more space to move, and you're likely to have nitrate issues.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:21 PM, DaveDe said:

So you're using a koralia 240 in the Evo V? I'm looking to increase my flow but I was afraid the 240 was too powerful for a 5 gallon. 

I am and it's actually not too strong for it. My torch and hammer are not getting blown but rather a nice smooth flow.

On 11/16/2019 at 10:01 PM, Tired said:

Love the clowns! Especially the all black one. I'm not sure a 5gal is quite large enough to keep them long-term, though. They need more space to move, and you're likely to have nitrate issues.

You're probably right. However, my bigger clown has jumped out of the tank so now I'm only left with the smaller one.

Bigger clownfish decided to carpet dive today so RIP. Unsure if I want another clown or get a different fish; I'm leaning towards the latter.

Other than that, tank is doing well. Small diatom outbreak but has since gone away. I did a 1G water change today and vacuumed the substrate and added some chemi pure elite. Also, since the last update, I've added a two headed hammer and some zoas.

11/23/2019:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Tired said:

Sorry about the clown. IMO you should replace it- they're a fish that does best in pairs.

The tank looks really good. What kind of zoas are those? 

ok, i will consider another clown then. I don't know what kind of zoas they are, the GF picked it out at the LFS. 

• Like 1

Hm, correction, forgot this was a 5gal. I don't think I would put any clowns in a 5gal long term, even if it's only one. They need some wiggle room- literally, with how they swim.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Added regular clownfish, a frag of rainbow clove polyps, and peppermint shrimp. I'm hoping the shrimp will take care of the couple aiptasia that popped up. Also just noticed some bubble algae on the big rock to the right. I'll probably wait until they get bigger and manually remove.

spacer.png

• Like 1