ReefCleaners.org

amphipods eating dinos

errand

I was watching some amphipods playing in my pico frag tank, and noticed them crawling over blobs of bubbled up dinos. My little frag tank got a bloom of dinos within a couple of days of me adding some new frag plugs- at least I think they were dinos, they looked like brown snotty globs, rising up with bubbles trapped in them.

Few days later, no more dinos, but many, many amphipods, copedpods on the glass and crawling on the rocks. This happened in my DT as well - I did get a bloom of dinos a few times but it was always over as quickly as it showed up, and I didn't do anything direct to them, they just went away.

I got a video on my phone of one of the critters frollicking around and actually eating the dino clump like a lollipop - thought I would share it with you guys. 

notes:

~ I can't 100% be certain they were dinos as I didn't look at them with a microscope, it was an assumption I made.

~ These little critters are actually very interesting to watch up close. The one eating the dino clump looks like its carrying eggs or larvae.

~ the significant part of the video is the first minute, the rest is just video of the pod doing its thing.

• Like 2

Not at all impossible.  Also possible they were dead dino cells (or something else entirely) just being scavenged as detritus.  (More up their alley I think.)

If the dino's weren't toxic -- or if they were only a minority of your pod's diet -- then it may not be a thing at all, other than the natural order of things.

And when the dino's *are* toxic....that's why pods being lethargic (or gone!) is one of the first signs of a dino bloom.

When dino's aren't blooming, they're just another epiphytic algae as far as I can tell.

• Like 3
On 11/2/2019 at 11:35 PM, mcarroll said:

Not at all impossible.  Also possible they were dead dino cells (or something else entirely) just being scavenged as detritus.  (More up their alley I think.)

If the dino's weren't toxic -- or if they were only a minority of your pod's diet -- then it may not be a thing at all, other than the natural order of things.

And when the dino's *are* toxic....that's why pods being lethargic (or gone!) is one of the first signs of a dino bloom.

When dino's aren't blooming, they're just another epiphytic algae as far as I can tell.

+1!!