Cultivated Reef

Bryopsis?

roblox84

29 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Looks like hair algae. Bryopsis is much thicker.

Really? It has the fern like appearance towards the top. I thought hair algae was all 1 Strand from live rock to the tip. If it's hair algae a reef Flux treatment should still get rid of it should it not? 

• Like 1

They're all roughly similar algae and all in the same family. (They *do* look similar.)

Time for cleanup crew (yourself included) to step in and yank it out.  It's probably already too big for snails to deal with.

Beef up your herbivore snail population as needed if they don't keep clean what you pull out.

• Like 1

I had stuff that looked like that, and my snails ate it. Which means it's hair algae. 

Don't treat with chemicals. That's for when a tank is absolutely overrun, and sometimes not even then. Hair algae is normal in a new tank. You just have to up your snail numbers, and pull some by yourself if a lot grows. As your biodiversity rises, other algaes will outcompete this, and pods and the like will eat it. You don't want to treat with chemicals because that does nothing for what allowed the pest algae to grow, and what allows it to grow is lack of competition and lack of things to eat it. You'll have a surge of it, but after you've had snails in there for awhile and maybe do some yanking by hand, and when things start to grow to compete with it, it'll die back down. Just like cyano usually does at the start.

• Like 1