Pod Your Reef

Proxo 140L Custom Aquarium.

Proxo

Check out amazon/ebay for some overflow boxes, i seen a few when i was hunting.
You know them ones that are for when bottom of tank is drilled? kind of that stuff.

2 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Check out amazon/ebay for some overflow boxes, i seen a few when i was hunting.
You know them ones that are for when bottom of tank is drilled? kind of that stuff.

Yeah that exact thing, however the dimensions are not what i want lol

Seems like a couple of Acrylic sheets and have a go myself time then 

Just now, Proxo said:

What size you after pal? I might have some old sheets of acrylic laying around from some custom pc stuff.

So the tank is 290x290x290 (mm) so I am thinking at least 200mm wide, 200mm tall and 100mm deep

Might see what sort of down pipes we have around the yard and see if I can pull out a Guttering Hopper

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wavin-OSMA-Hopper-square-downpipes/dp/B00IBZ2Q30/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=2.5"+SQUARE+HOPPER+HEAD&qid=1579692653&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTDNCVjhaQTFEVFpZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTgxNDc5MjlEMlRGNkNJMU9SVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODEyMjE4MUNTTkcwUkZKTk0yWiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You might aswell just go for a full back AIO, make it thin as the extra wideness will counter it?
Copy the evo 13.5 design maybe, that acrylic is thin as so it'll be even cheaper. 

You could also use clear acrylic for the section dividers as it's cheaper and wont be seen, kind of like my old plan for this tank.
For the intake teeth, few drilled holes would do (but if using 3mm acrylic, go easy - maybe try step drill bit).

I couldn't be bothered anymore, it was to much hassle gluing, waiting, drilling, waiting.
So i just ordered a overflow box from murica, pretty sure i'll use the acrylic i got for something lol.

• Like 1

Ok people i know this topic is getting a bit boring due to lack of photos (it's like a bunch of kids that wont read haha).
I bought a bunch of acrylic to make my own overflow box but due to the fumes known to cause cancer, my dad built a 'bar' in the garden
but i'm banned for drinking it all, asked him if i could glue it in there, he can lock booze up but it's been weeks so i just ordered a damn box from america

I#ll be here next week, I' have some questions though?
Is it possible to cycle the tank with enough water to cover the rocks/obviously sand with some powerheads?
Or do you actually need that biomedia in the filter? freshwater it was a must but salt, i hear most of it is in your sand/rocks.

If you don't know that question, my fluval 13.5 has apulsing xenia next to zoa, they've collided , who will win? 😄

7 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Ok people i know this topic is getting a bit boring due to lack of photos (it's like a bunch of kids that wont read haha).
I bought a bunch of acrylic to make my own overflow box but due to the fumes known to cause cancer, my dad built a 'bar' in the garden
but i'm banned for drinking it all, asked him if i could glue it in there, he can lock booze up but it's been weeks so i just ordered a damn box from america

I#ll be here next week, I' have some questions though?
Is it possible to cycle the tank with enough water to cover the rocks/obviously sand with some powerheads?
Or do you actually need that biomedia in the filter? freshwater it was a must but salt, i hear most of it is in your sand/rocks.

You do not need to cycle the tank fully filled. I seen a few people now starting the cycle with rocks some water, heat and movement. As long as the water covers the rocks, is warm and have movement you'll be good. You can then add more water later.   

Do you mean can I start the cycle without filling the tank? Yes

Drilled the tank today 😄 still need to do the outlet holes and i'm thinking maybe a hole in bottom left for lazy water changes.
Wasn't too hard to drill, first hole has some chunks missing but the second one was much better think my years of drilling holes in steel paid off 😄 lol.

Next job is to start making a sump out of my 60L freshwater version of the EVO 13.5, was going to sell it but for the hassle and the fact 2nd hand
tanks don't sell much now a days might as well just use it :D.

P.s Don't mind the mess, got a few projects going 😄

P_20200203_150116.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good! 

Evo 13.5 maybe a little small of a sump? Maybe better off with a standard 20-30 gallon that you can DIY? 

Also, I love the idea of a designated water change drain. Simply hook it up to a valve and vinyl tubing so all you're doing is turning the valve and placing a hose in a bucket....or a really long hose all the way to your outside drain? 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Matteo said:

Looking good! 

Evo 13.5 maybe a little small of a sump? Maybe better off with a standard 20-30 gallon that you can DIY? 

Also, I love the idea of a designated water change drain. Simply hook it up to a valve and vinyl tubing so all you're doing is turning the valve and placing a hose in a bucket....or a really long hose all the way to your outside drain? 

Was thinking that myself, few people said it should be okay but i'm not 100% sure on the sump yet.
Problem been is the tank is upstairs, weight needs to be kept down as much as possible.

I've had a 240L freshwater up here before but it wasn't heavy scape stocked, so this tank is 140L and evo is say 50L puts me on 190L (yay i did math)
then you got the weight of the rocks, then again that means less water weight... lel 😄

Most likely long hose to the toilet 😄, only problem is not been able to 'gravel' clean your sand - i could always just turkey baster blast some of it and it'll suck down the water change drain.
Either way it'll come in handy even if i sometimes don't use it and do the sand cleaning the 'normal' way.

19 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Show us the smaller reef while you're at it! 😁

Steady progress, it'll look mint when it's all up and running

The smaller reef is a complete mess, seen as it's still running though - i'll throw some pics in my evo journal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I do water changes I turkey baster the rocks and sand prior to the water change. 

Once I do the water change I turkey baster the sand and rocks one more time and let the old filter floss get it all. I then wait a few hours and replace the media so now everything is fresh and the debri has been physically removed out of the system. 

Everyone had their own method though 🙂

• Like 2

Also, i was thinking it's prob best to put this 'water change' drain hole on the side of the tank as the tank will be up against the wall on the back
and most likely this drain will have more possibility of clogging? guess you could always just hook a pump up to it and blow the 'clog' back into the tank? lol

• Like 1

looks good mate 🙂 sorry I havent been on in a bit to review, had a new baby in the house so been neglecting my tank somewhat! 

really looking forward to this 🙂

• Like 2
On 2/7/2020 at 4:47 PM, Proxo said:

Congrats man, no more corals for you - all money on the little one now 😄

ha... partly true that! 

I've already got two boys... and now a girl.. so need get it cut off now or I'll have to have one sleeping in the tank if any more arrive! 

• Haha 2
On 2/8/2020 at 9:46 AM, Proxo said:

plumbing cost more than the tank itself -.- 
Anyway i've started ordering some valves n what not, progresssssss

Jesus what all did you get? 

• Haha 1

Plumbing ain't cheap here dude, and i only ordered bare minimum so i'll most likely need more but for an example;
on bulkreefsupply your gate valves are 25 dollar and i'm guessing they can be purchased elsewhere cheaper.
Gate valve here was 45 dollar, plumbing shop down the road wanted 60 dollar so yeah lol.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Proxo said:

Plumbing ain't cheap here dude, and i only ordered bare minimum so i'll most likely need more but for an example;
on bulkreefsupply your gate valves are 25 dollar and i'm guessing they can be purchased elsewhere cheaper.
Gate valve here was 45 dollar, plumbing shop down the road wanted 60 dollar so yeah lol.

Lol, I have family in town from Germany. The more I hear Everything is cheaper in the Great U S of A 😜

• Haha 2