Top Shelf Aquatics

Proxo 140L Custom Aquarium.

Proxo

Snow_Phoenix
6 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Yeah most likely, but the diatoms and brown algae is driving me nuts i've never managed to rid it even on my old evo - There's some pretty cheap'ish UV might be worth a shot to give me a little help in hand? idk lol.

I honestly haven't used a UV Sterilizer before, so I'm not sure if it'll help either. Algae is pretty normal in reeftanks actually. I have green film that comes and goes on my rocks, and cyano in my sump. I think it's part of the tank-maturing process, and nothing to be overly concerned about. 

I do agree that it can look unsightly. The diatoms should vanish on their own in time. Otherwise, you can always boost up your CUC & get more snails. 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I honestly haven't used a UV Sterilizer before, so I'm not sure if it'll help either. Algae is pretty normal in reeftanks actually. I have green film that comes and goes on my rocks, and cyano in my sump. I think it's part of the tank-maturing process, and nothing to be overly concerned about. 

I do agree that it can look unsightly. The diatoms should vanish on their own in time. Otherwise, you can always boost up your CUC & get more snails. 

Yeah i think i just like buying gadgets tbh haha!! I'll leave it be for now, might try a cheapo UV or keep an eye on local facebook sales!
Like you said, not much point getting one for something that will eventually go away anyway! Although i can be pretty lazy so one might help in the long run? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Yeah i think i just like buying gadgets tbh haha!! I'll leave it be for now, might try a cheapo UV or keep an eye on local facebook sales!
Like you said, not much point getting one for something that will eventually go away anyway! Although i can be pretty lazy so one might help in the long run? 😄

Gadgets can definitely be more fun than coral many times... 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Matteo said:

Gadgets can definitely be more fun than coral many times... 

mmmh, if they don't break? 🙂 remember i blew up my sw2 wavemaker, still waiting for the new one to be deliveried so i'd have 2 again...
now my other one has decided to break (not me this time haha).

I wont knock them as a don't buy, maybe just don't run them at full 24/7, i don't think they can handle that.

Just gonna sit and wait for somebody to shut down a reef tank and see what goodies i can get, pump you recommended me on pretty high is enough flow, just dead spots at back of tank 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Urchin is stealing everything, even got my new zoa off the frag plug 🤣.
Tank is still a bit on the messy side, Corals are wedged in tight in random places so urchin can't get em while they adjust to light and got myself green algae now - it's pink/red in the photo.
- It is also falling off into clumps and gluing my sand together 😄

P_20200814_222834_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20200814_222852_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

• Like 4
10 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

looks to be progressing nicely though dude... I'm still jealous of the bigger tank! 😩

When i was with my ex who hated/scared of fish i used to get her to 'help' me look for a new fish but show her the ones i knew i needed a bigger tank for,
once she picked one and kind of fell in love with it - you drop the oh it needs a bigger tank line on her 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Proxo said:

When i was with my ex who hated/scared of fish i used to get her to 'help' me look for a new fish but show her the ones i knew i needed a bigger tank for,
once she picked one and kind of fell in love with it - you drop the oh it needs a bigger tank line on her 😄

haha I tried that! she didn't take the bait..

the bloke in my LFS said a trick they often recommend is to get up early each morning and put some water on one outer edge of the tank so it runs own and drips beneath... claim there's a slow leak and promptly zip out to buy a new (bigger) tank before the seal completely fails! 😄 😄

• Haha 2

I'm such an artist on paint, couldn't find my photoshop software so;

Seen as i've not a clue how corals 'grow out' i'm finding it hard to get a decent placement for looks and ofc flow/light/war crimes, 
How do these people get them real nice looking tanks, throw all the coral in then rescape when it's grown out? :D!

Anyway here's a rough plan with a hammer/frog garden, acan/micromussa etc garden and a blasto garden - which might actually do better under the hammer for some shading?
The duncan i'm not sure where to put so i'm open to idea's on that and for the kenya/mushrooms - the sump / bin before they overtake? 😄 lmao!

Kind of want a torch....  HELP! 

lelsss.jpg

• Like 1

You know me....I love torches. Have 4 of them. BIG TORCH FAN

no gsp. It will cover your tank unless you can find the branching kind that's easier to trim

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Matteo said:

You know me....I love torches. Have 4 of them. BIG TORCH FAN

no gsp. It will cover your tank unless you can find the branching kind that's easier to trim

So much GSP hate 😄 but yeah, i didn't listen with the xenia on my evo and ka boom haha - the branch the GSP is on is kind of 'loose' so if need be MURDER!
I think the gsp on the left is branching!! 

Yeah torch and nem is 2 coral that i didn't think much of until recently ............... 
I'll keep an eye out for torch at my LFS sometimes he has banging deals on as he gets bored of the big display often and rescapes it lol.

Ahhh i'm just going to order whatever corals are going cheap - the challenge keeps me interested! 😱

6 minutes ago, Proxo said:

So much GSP hate 😄 but yeah, i didn't listen with the xenia on my evo and ka boom haha - the branch the GSP is on is kind of 'loose' so if need be MURDER!
I think the gsp on the left is branching!! 

Yeah torch and nem is 2 coral that i didn't think much of until recently ............... 
I'll keep an eye out for torch at my LFS sometimes he has banging deals on as he gets bored of the big display often and rescapes it lol.

Ahhh i'm just going to order whatever corals are going cheap - the challenge keeps me interested! 😱

I have 4btas also. My reef is a big mess of you're asking for it 😂

Not to toot my own horn but you should check it out! Recent photos are coming in nice with new wb setting and I got rid of my sticks which I think made the tank look less fraggy. 

I like flowly things so I'm a big fan of btas, torches, gonis, etc. 

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I have 4btas also. My reef is a big mess of you're asking for it 😂

Not to toot my own horn but you should check it out! Recent photos are coming in nice with new wb setting and I got rid of my sticks which I think made the tank look less fraggy. 

I like flowly things so I'm a big fan of btas, torches, gonis, etc. 

I have been snooooping who you think got me into torch? 

• Wow 1

Well remember i blew up 1 sw2 (techically was a faulty adaptor but i finished it off) - so i bought another, that's died after only a few month;
The controller gets power but the powerhead doesn't move, i've even tried it on the other powerhead as i know only the controller died on that unit.

I ordered a replacement for the one i blew up hoping to have 2 again but it's been in the post for almost 3month... so if it arrives i'll be back down to 1 again -.-
Was about to do a coral order but i think i'll have to invest in a decent wavemaker - still stalking facebook sales like my ex stalks my facebook 😄

P_20200821_193002_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

My 3rd SW2 is finally here so seen as i was lazy and had the other 2 'broken' ones still in pieces i decided to do some testing 😄 

The SW2 that i blew up is officially dead, controller and powerhead.
The SW2 that recently died, the controller works but the powerhead is dead.

So now i have 2 controllers and 1 powerhead that works, maybe i can wire them all together for some funky waves 🤣

• Haha 1

Somebody lend me a tang or something? 😄 

Diatoms -  is settling down a little.
Dinoflagellates - a lot
Cyano Algae - little
Hair Aglae - Average

How Do I Get Dinoflagellates Under Control?
Increasing Nitrates and Phosphates - Even a freshwater solution like SeaChem Flourish will work as well.
Remove Nutrient Reducing Media
Adjust pH
Kill The Lights
Use Hydrogen Peroxide
Use A UV Sterilizer
The Nuclear Option – Use Dino X

😞

• Haha 1

My urchin keeps taking the same zoa coral no matter where i glue it, i've even tried glue and epoxy lol!
I've had to turn down my lighting as my hammer/frog/banana hybrid (idk what it is) was looking slightly faded, i wasn't too bothered hoping it would adjust
then i seen the montipora and duncan struggling so...

Idk if it's just me but it seems 80% of my algae is growing on the older prime version light, even though the newer 16HD is cranked into 'overclock' lol.
There's a slight bit of light from the window but nothing serious so idk...

If i wave a french flag in my tank will i get an invasion of snails? (sorry dark humour, mod can delete if need be)

Anyway the ato is finally up and running, still need to sort out a 'controller' area while making room for my studio equipment 😕
I don't really wanna have switches with the sump coz i'll never end up putting the door back on im lazy 😄 

Also honestly, how often do u guys water test? i think i need an electric shock collar or something for that.... (freshwater stable ecosystem habbit) 

• Haha 1

It should be here thursday if not tomorrow. 
£64 of that order was a HANNA dkh tester mind, i can't stand test kits so i never end up testing my water, if it's easier i might just do it now to afford the others 😄.

• Haha 2

Pretty much instant refund on missing coral, no questions asked - good job i'm a nice guy and didn't say the anemone was missing 😛 
But it's missing in my tank, it's decided to shift its flubbery ass into a cave around the back - hopefully just getting settled in.

Shall attempt some pictures tonight or tomorrow 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

that's good news 🙂 where's these pictures?! 

Haha, more excited than me 😄 i've been busy man but i will get some.

I've got some bad news though people, i told myself last night i'm going to have to order a top for the tank and i woke up this morning to a midas blenny on the floor 😢.
The anem is still hiding in a dark place, any idea when i should start to worry? 

• Sad 2