Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sick/Hurt Firefish

LJR

Hey all,

I've had a firefish in my 10 gallon for a couple of months now, and the other morning (Friday) I noticed that he had some tattered fins. By the next day, a lot of the damaged parts have since decomposed or fallen off. While the first few days he was eating well and acting normal, now he seems a little more tired, and eats less vigorously.  He's also had a long white strand of poop that he's had trouble passing, something I've never seen from him before. For reference, my tank parameters are all good (<5 nitrate, etc) and the other fish, a mandarin I have had for over 8 months is doing just fine. I suspect a cave in may have damaged him, but is there anything I need to do besides keeping the water quality up? Quarantine is not an available option, as I have this as a dorm tank? Thank you for any advice, pictures are pinned below.

Photos go from Friday, Saturday, to today

20191025_124318.jpg

Message_1572123153375.jpg

20191029_192336.jpg

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

White poop can be a parasite or if you feed mysis.

13 hours ago, sadie said:

I'm not an expert, but I have read in several posts that long white poo usually is a parasite.  Maybe someone with more experience can chime in. 

White poop is really only a small part of this. I have not added any animals to the tank in months. Would it be unusual to develop a parasite now? And, his fills *are* still falling off.

• Like 1

Feed selcon enriched foods. LRS is great.

General cure can be mixed with focus to bind it to foods and fed for internal problems.

Could try a freshwater bath if you want to check for flukes.

Options are limited without a QT.

A Mandy would be a lot more disease resistant than a firefish so it may not show symptoms if something contagious is present.

• Like 1
On 11/2/2019 at 12:52 AM, Tamberav said:

Feed selcon enriched foods. LRS is great.

General cure can be mixed with focus to bind it to foods and fed for internal problems.

Could try a freshwater bath if you want to check for flukes.

Options are limited without a QT.

A Mandy would be a lot more disease resistant than a firefish so it may not show symptoms if something contagious is present.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, sadie said:

How is your fish doing?

I'll have to go ahead and get some better food for him then, I've run out of most of the better foods I had.

That's true. Mandarins are usually pretty tough on that sort of thing. 

He's doing a lot better now, so I'm more convicted that it was an injury. His fins are still damaged, but he's been hurt for almost two weeks now and he's eating well and swimming better.