inTank Media Baskets

Zoanthids don't seem happy?

saltyPaulNJ

I've had these for about a month or so they all opened up nice after many dips but some have this white coat on them are they not happy with the flow/light or is this infection? don't seem to be spreading.

salinity 1.026 

amm 0-5 if ever

nitrates 0

Also for about a week now i'm having a green algea bloom should i be censored? tank is relatively new under 2 months I do have clean up crew 3 snails, cleaner shrimp hermit 13.5g tank weekly water changes, have been feeding less and light duration slowly. 

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I honestly have no idea what white coat you are talking about. They all look great. They don’t look upset?

If your talking about the white on the center of the zoas, I think that’s just their pattern. They are supposed to look like that 

4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I honestly have no idea what white coat you are talking about. They all look great. They don’t look upset?

If your talking about the white on the center of the zoas, I think that’s just their pattern. They are supposed to look like that 

that's what i thought at first but then their mouths got covered by it and it's getting larger on them

Christopher Marks

@saltyPaulNJ it's possible their colors could be changing due to a difference in lighting between their original location and your aquarium now. It's tough to tell from the photos as things seem fairly normal without a better closeup. Generally zoanthids are closed up if they are unhappy in their environment.

For a tank this young, an algae bloom is to be expected. The new ecosystem is still finding balance.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Zoanthids don't seem happy?

Algae is normal, and trying to starve it out will starve your corals. Expect algae blooms while your tank is new, and manually remove it, or add a few more snails, if there's an absurd amount. You want to have algae, and having a healthy population of different species of algae will help keep the particularly rambunctious species from running rampant all over everything.

• Like 1