ReefCleaners.org

5 Gallon Home Reef - Shutdown 2020.01.17

Ratvan

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I don't even know what to say.

Get home at 19:00 ish after work and my (currently) mother in law tells me that the power has been off since about 9am. Knox (Bunny) who has issues with his teeth has chewed through the extension cord. Fan-f*cking tastic, think about letting me know before I walk in the door you feotid c*nt? No she sat there ALL DAY and let me know the tanks feel really cold... 

Couple of things 100% gone. That beautiful Green Plating Monti, is now an interesting looking dry rock, but it is Cycled. The turbipora which is always open even when lights off is gone, can see no polyps in any tubes. The Kenya tree has disappeared completely, only the plug remains. Xenia looks great and is pulsing away like crazy. 

Zoas look really pissed off. Clam is open more than I have seen it ever, mushrooms look okay. SPS don't look too bad, lights on for 30 mins and polyp extension on both Montis and the random Psamacora isn't as much extension as normal but there is some. 

Hantu and Hermit look unaffected, the hermit has climbed the heater and Hantu is currently in her barnacle as per usual. 

This used to be my favourite view... Note missing Kenya Tree and formerly beautiful green Monti plateIMG_20200116_200035.thumb.jpg.8bd304ceb7b4fa92dd7c12a57232c382.jpg

IMG_20200116_195942.jpg

IMG_20200116_195650.jpg

IMG_20200116_200000.jpg

IMG_20200116_200008.jpg

IMG_20200116_200015.jpg

IMG_20200116_200029.jpg

Oh no!!!! That sucks man, sorry to hear.

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I don't even know what to say.

Get home at 19:00 ish after work and my (currently) mother in law tells me that the power has been off since about 9am. Knox (Bunny) who has issues with his teeth has chewed through the extension cord. Fan-f*cking tastic, think about letting me know before I walk in the door you feotid c*nt? No she sat there ALL DAY and let me know the tanks feel really cold... 

Couple of things 100% gone. That beautiful Green Plating Monti, is now an interesting looking dry rock, but it is Cycled. The turbipora which is always open even when lights off is gone, can see no polyps in any tubes. The Kenya tree has disappeared completely, only the plug remains. Xenia looks great and is pulsing away like crazy. 

Zoas look really pissed off. Clam is open more than I have seen it ever, mushrooms look okay. SPS don't look too bad, lights on for 30 mins and polyp extension on both Montis and the random Psamacora isn't as much extension as normal but there is some. 

Hantu and Hermit look unaffected, the hermit has climbed the heater and Hantu is currently in her barnacle as per usual. 

This used to be my favourite view... Note missing Kenya Tree and formerly beautiful green Monti plateIMG_20200116_200035.thumb.jpg.8bd304ceb7b4fa92dd7c12a57232c382.jpg

IMG_20200116_195942.jpg

IMG_20200116_195650.jpg

IMG_20200116_200000.jpg

IMG_20200116_200008.jpg

IMG_20200116_200015.jpg

IMG_20200116_200029.jpg

Oh no!!!!!!!!!! 😢😢. I hope it's salvageable!

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Oh no!!!!!!!!!! 😢😢. I hope it's salvageable!

I'm pretty sure the Monti is gone. Pipe Organ maybe not completely gone, currently deciding on whether to frag it or not. Need to do some reading on that

• Sad 2
Just now, Ratvan said:

I'm pretty sure the Monti is gone. Pipe Organ maybe not completely gone, currently deciding on whether to frag it or not. Need to do some reading on that

That completely sucks. Sounds like something my in laws or husband would do too. "Oh by the way, your tank has been dark all day. Didn't know what to do so just didn't do anything...."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That completely sucks. Sounds like something my in laws or husband would do too. "Oh by the way, your tank has been dark all day. Didn't know what to do so just didn't do anything...."

Thank god katie pays some attention to it. She caught it when the heater messed up two summers ago, before I bought the ink bird controller. That was one reason I ended up getting one.

7 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

It's one of the many things that she does that makes my life difficult. The other is recycling. I'm all for it but she recycles the labels off bottles that still have contents. Like my Prime and Stability dosed both today as I can't tell them apart with no labels. 

• Wow 1
Just now, Ratvan said:

It's one of the many things that she does that makes my life difficult. The other is recycling. I'm all for it but she recycles the labels off bottles that still have contents. Like my Prime and Stability dosed both today as I can't tell them apart with no labels. 

Seriously? Why is she even touching your stuff?! I'd be like touch my stuff and you'll draw back a nub. 

Honestly our work schedules really put a kink in watching the tanks very closely. If I'm not here, he will sleep until right before he has to leave, and so probably doesn't even look at the tank. He'd been good for a long time about feeding the anthias before leaving, and then suddenly he wasn't, and the last one starved to death because I was only able to feed when I got home from work. Bummer. But his parents--they would just look at it and be like "oh look, somethings wrong... lets go find something else to do."

• Sad 3
5 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Seriously? Why is she even touching your stuff?! I'd be like touch my stuff and you'll draw back a nub. 

Honestly our work schedules really put a kink in watching the tanks very closely. If I'm not here, he will sleep until right before he has to leave, and so probably doesn't even look at the tank. He'd been good for a long time about feeding the anthias before leaving, and then suddenly he wasn't, and the last one starved to death because I was only able to feed when I got home from work. Bummer. But his parents--they would just look at it and be like "oh look, somethings wrong... lets go find something else to do."

I'm going to poke holes in her stoma bag supply tonight...... Or I would but I'd have to clean up that mess too so no

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'm going to poke holes in her stoma bag supply tonight...... Or I would but I'd have to clean up that mess too so no

Bahahahahaha. That would be a bit stinky.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I don't understand how the plate 2"x2" has gone but the puny little SPS nubs, barely 0.5" made it

Maybe it's the same concept as in humans with hypothermia. You draw your circulation in to the core to keep the organs warm, so limbs and skin freeze. Maybe the shorter polyps were safer cause they're closer to the core?

• Like 1

Well have moved across the Zoas, Palys and SPS this morning to the office tank, going back at lunch time to collect Hantu and the rest of the Corals that i couldn't take this morning (ran out of time). I have been looking for a new ATO container as mine is only 2 Gallons currently so that will save a bit of cash,

Left my phone at home so lucky I am going back at lunch time as I can then post photo's.

However the Red Headed Gobies have both quickly set up station on the Beginnings of a Zoa Garden with Clam  

Just waiting for lights on in the RSM130D now....

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that the pico had to meet its demise in such a fashion. It's bad enough when anything dies under our care, but losing livestock (and a whole system, no less) for such a silly reason would be heartbreaking for any reefer. At least the survivors get to live on in your RSM130 though! I imagine they'll all do better in there anyway, except possibly for Hantu. Gotta keep an eye on him in the beginning. Good idea with the isolation box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Sorry to hear that the pico had to meet its demise in such a fashion. It's bad enough when anything dies under our care, but losing livestock (and a whole system, no less) for such a silly reason would be heartbreaking for any reefer. At least the survivors get to live on in your RSM130 though! I imagine they'll all do better in there anyway, except possibly for Hantu. Gotta keep an eye on him in the beginning. Good idea with the isolation box.

I could have kept it running in all honesty at home, would just need to replace the extension cord. HOWEVER, I cannot trust anyone to look after the tank during the day now, so dont really have much of a choice. Rather not risk losing anything else due to other people's neglect. Sad

Hantu has definitely grown, almost the same size now as my Leopard Wrasse. She's also jumped out the breeder and is currently pissing off my wall Hammer. Looks like she's hosting something other than a Barnacle!! Hooray!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1