Coral Vue Hydros

5 Gallon Home Reef - Shutdown 2020.01.17

Ratvan

So as a few of you know I am having some territorial aggression issues between my Tailspot Blenny and my Clownfish in my 34G Red Sea Max 130D Office tank.

As a result of this I have made the decision to catch and rehome one of these into my old 5 Gallon Cube that formerly used to be a Indo Pacific Biotope, I also want to remove some of the Corals that is within this tank to help focus my concentration onto LPS Corals. The preference for home is to move the Clownfish to the Home Tank, personally I think that removing the Tailspot Blenny maybe the better option. However it will be all up to whatever I manage to catch today while at the office. 

Tank: 5.5G Cube - Ciano Nexus 25

Light: Asta Marine 20 LED

Heater: 50W Nano Adjustable

Filter: Hydro Ripple HR-250

Circ: Hydor Nano Evo Mag 650

Biofiltration: 

• 2lbs Live Sand
  • 2lbs Live Rock
  • 200G Bio Spheres

Livestock: Fish and CuC

• Cujo (Tailspot Blenny)
  • Asternea Snail
  • Cerith Snail
  • Nassarius Snail
  • Trocus Snail
  • Red Legged Hermit Crab

Livestock - Softies from Previous Tanks

• Cabbage Coral
  • Colt Coral
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Mushroom Corals
  • Pulsating Xenia
  • Zoanthids

This tank will be a "short term" solution at home, i have finally managed to persuade the Mrs into allowing me to have a Reef Tank at home, I will be saving and purchasing items towards this tank and aim to have set up and running by Christmas 2020. 😄

IM Fusion 14G Peninsula Tank

AI Hydra 26HD

Vortech MP10

Previous Set Up

20190903_081505.thumb.jpg.18253a2700476e3719e20f0c0b502a78.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Corals to Transfer Across

• Cabbage Coral

20191028_094906.thumb.jpg.61bd79a5c32dd8cd6666ae85dcc4c4c3.jpg

• Colt Coral

20191028_094901.thumb.jpg.9c854e0228c75706f9ced71fee510ae0.jpg

• Green Star Polyps

20191028_094740.thumb.jpg.24a9348481ec60c9c28b85e3977e28a3.jpg

• Zoanthids

20191028_094748.thumb.jpg.0f2a7550e02024b5f87d9350b6beb736.jpg

20191028_094754.thumb.jpg.774c44da943caa7b58e0666cb6bd91ab.jpg

This will give me the chance to (FINALLY) remove that Bubble Algae as well from the tank 

Dope, Cant wait to see it all setup and running. I have been thinking about doing this very thing to remove some of my impulse coral pick ups for my shallow reef. If you're only housing the clown in that 5 it will work. The TS would obviously be the king of the castle there. I am also curious as to what kind of tail spot you have that's holding its own with a clown lol

• Thanks 1
Just now, frahny said:

Dope, Cant wait to see it all setup and running. I have been thinking about doing this very thing to remove some of my impulse coral pick ups for my shallow reef. If you're only housing the clown in that 5 it will work. The TS would obviously be the king of the castle there. I am also curious as to what kind of tail spot you have that's holding its own with a clown lol

Its only when something is near it's Barnacle cluster, i have rearranged the tank countless times now and still no change to aggression. 

It will be either the Clown or the Blenny which ever I can catch,

Here is Mr Viscous (Aka Cujo) in HIS Barnacle

20191021_124127.thumb.jpg.1e81a9fbdb885d7a8ae4c62bfc23504e.jpg

Its this particular Barnacle cluster as well

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Its only when something is near it's Barnacle cluster, i have rearranged the tank countless times now and still no change to aggression. 

It will be either the Clown or the Blenny which ever I can catch,

Here is Mr Viscous (Aka Cujo) in HIS Barnacle

20191021_124127.thumb.jpg.1e81a9fbdb885d7a8ae4c62bfc23504e.jpg

Its this particular Barnacle cluster as well

What a hard ass I love it. Maybe my favorite fish on N-R.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, frahny said:

What a hard ass I love it. Maybe my favorite fish on N-R.

It does make me wonder, I got him when he was very Skinny and was in a tank with a clutch of Young Clowns. I think his size was due to him being beaten to the food. Maybe this is revenge?

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

It does make me wonder, I got him when he was very Skinny and was in a tank with a clutch of Young Clowns. I think his size was due to him being beaten to the food. Maybe this is revenge?

could be, he's got his home and isn't gonna let a punk clown take it from him. LOL I could only imagine what this spots voice would be like. 

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So the Mrs has come back from the pub and informed me that the tank looks empty and needs filling up 😈 

She already loves Hantu, I will most likely have a fat clownfish in here shortly.

Yay! 😃

• Like 2

Moved in the Xenia, GSP, bleached Emerald Jewel Yuma and the Colt Coral tonight before Gable descended and claimed that spot as his for the night. Also moved in some more spare rocks, one in particular had Yuma mushrooms on so hoping there are some babies or sections of foot left behind.

20191029_192452.jpg

• Like 2

Brought home a small chunk of Zoas from the 34G as I'm slowly zeroing in on what I want inside. This is acting as a holding tank for what I no longer want. The Mrs does love Zoas and in named rocks are cheap if you dont mind taking a LOT of bubble algae off it. 

20191031_184927.jpg

20191031_185330.jpg

20191031_185356.jpg

• Like 3

So made a little propagation kit out of an old plastic floating Hatchery. Mainly used for Mushrooms Corals and maybe anemones if i get into them.

20191101_114549.thumb.jpg.e20c012691782427d2b53efcb2a8679c.jpg

Very simple Design, attached some suction cups to the rear of the hatchery. This can be moved up or down within the tank, also has a cover (not shown currently) of eggcrate and mesh

1. Bottom Section filled with Rubble/Crushed Coral

2. Adult Mushrooms go into top section

3. Babies drop through Hatchery Gaps into bottom section 

4. Babies establish on crushed coral/rubble

5. Babies on rubble then glued to rock/plugs and offered as trades. 

• Like 4

Lighting Upgrade on the way, found a load of Amazon Gift Cards over the weekend. Checking them out this morning i discovered that I have roughly £150.00 so I ordered a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue, Mini Gooseneck and Spectral Controller for the little 5.5G. This arrives 11th November (Friday) so will have the weekend to play. I also want to try some other corals in this system.

We have already decided that once the larger Freshwater System gets taken down we will run only a single tank. I have had my eye on the IM Nuvo 14 Peninsula Tank for a little while now and hope that the A80 Tuna Blue would be a good light to run over this system. If not a decent start for a trade up. 

This means I will be running Kessils over both my tanks. Also SWMBO has given me instructions to clear the fish room of spares, so i guess that's what I'll be doing this weekend.

• Like 4
On 10/28/2019 at 2:45 PM, Ratvan said:

Rapid set up complete, will start to move coral across this week

20191028_194029.jpg

As I stepped up to the tank Hantu swam into the net, that more or less settled that. Clownfish Cube

What is that little tank next to the dinosaur up on top of the bookshelf?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, j.falk said:

What is that little tank next to the dinosaur up on the top of the bookshelf?

That's a little 5G that I use for my succulents (In sink outside) I cut a couple of bits off each year, just incase the rain, snow, wind etc kill off the main succulents

Ciano Aqua 20 https://ciano.pt/en/produto/aqua-20/. Used to house Betta, Killifish, FW Shrimp 

Was a nice little tank, I did plan to use it as my first Home Reef. But I love the Cube a little more

• Like 2

So undertook a postage experiment with a fellow reefer. Cheap and easy postage of Zoas and Turbipora (Organ Pipe Coral) no heat pack. Today has been down to 30F about 65F inside. Dont think I have heating on yet. 24 Hr postage in damp tissue paper, in jiffy bag, in padded envelope (£1.50 first class) 

Been in the tank for about 20 minutes. Zoa fully open. Turbipora starting to open. Also my hermit has fragged this already

20191105_185549.jpg

20191105_185604.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

@afcajax73 @Proxo, @St3

You guys interested in the cabbage (fungia like to squish it), colt, gsp or Xenia?

Can do multiple cuttings of GSP

Can do cheap postage (£1.50) with heat pad in damp jiffy bag in padded letter?

What sort of time frame you looking at mate? I’ve still got the remains of some red algae in my tank I’m trying get rid of. It’s on its way out but not gone yet. I got some pulsing Xenia a few months back but the red “hair” algae is growing from within it now... so I’m picking bits out week on week, where I can, to try and stop it spreading. I’m trying not add anything for a bit until I’ve got it under control

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

What sort of time frame you looking at mate? I’ve still got the remains of some red algae in my tank I’m trying get rid of. It’s on its way out but not gone yet. I got some pulsing Xenia a few months back but the red “hair” algae is growing from within it now... so I’m picking bits out week on week, where I can, to try and stop it spreading. I’m trying not add anything for a bit until I’ve got it under control

No real rush, just bored of them 😀

Change of direction so to speak

3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

@billygoat any idea what type of Gorg this one is? Looking at picking up a dropped branch

20191103_161953.thumb.jpg.de873ce78bd9d7f21a1afd9b9d0f1516.jpg

Looks like a Grube's gorgonian (Pinnigorgia flava). It's photosynthetic and practically indestructible. A good choice in my opinion. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, billygoat said:

Looks like a Grube's gorgonian (Pinnigorgia flava). It's photosynthetic and practically indestructible. A good choice in my opinion. 👍

Agreed!! I have tons of it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1