Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can mushrooms be "stunted"?

lizzyann

I got a neptune bounce shroom 11 months ago and I don't think it's really grown at all. It's about a half inch in diameter. I've moved it around the tank over the past year and nothing seems to improve its growth so far, though I may be missing something. Two weeks ago it sprouted a teeny, tiny baby! It's been in a low flow, low-medium light area for a month or two now. I spot feed it mysis or other tiny, meaty bits every few days. What's going on?? Tank has very low nitrates (0-.2) and phosphates (0) so maybe that's part of the problem? I figure feeding it would counteract that though. And earlier this year the nitrates and phosphate were higher and it didn't seem to help much then. I have several other shrooms (I think one or two are discosomas as well) that have done great and grow and split normally. Anyone have any ideas?

DSC06727.thumb.jpg.be6f6461c0be181fbdd5fc2d31ed9867.jpg

Not that I know of. I've moved it around, so it should have been in an area it wasn't bothered at some point. 

This isn't super current but should give you an idea, most things are the same. Hard to see, but it's on a little rock directly beneath the duncan in the photo. It's not actually directly beneath the duncan though and I haven't seen the duncan be able to reach it. 

DSC06504.thumb.jpg.30ca71beadf2c765ee72ca4223e91c95.jpg

• Like 1

Different mushrooms grow at different rates, some grow pretty slow although I can't claim to know much about this mushroom. Obviously lighting, flow, and nutrients effect growth rates and how much they expand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
reef r madness
On 10/26/2019 at 10:44 PM, lizzyann said:

I got a neptune bounce shroom 11 months ago and I don't think it's really grown at all. It's about a half inch in diameter. I've moved it around the tank over the past year and nothing seems to improve its growth so far, though I may be missing something. Two weeks ago it sprouted a teeny, tiny baby! It's been in a low flow, low-medium light area for a month or two now. I spot feed it mysis or other tiny, meaty bits every few days. What's going on?? Tank has very low nitrates (0-.2) and phosphates (0) so maybe that's part of the problem? I figure feeding it would counteract that though. And earlier this year the nitrates and phosphate were higher and it didn't seem to help much then. I have several other shrooms (I think one or two are discosomas as well) that have done great and grow and split normally. Anyone have any ideas?

DSC06727.thumb.jpg.be6f6461c0be181fbdd5fc2d31ed9867.jpg