Top Shelf Aquatics

Help ID this algae ?

Suggsreef

14 hours ago, Tired said:

Looks like some sort of turf algae, though it's hard to know which kind. Manual removal, snails, and competition (other algaes) are your best bet.

Hmm 🤔 snails checked it out last night but didn’t clean it completely. Blenny nipped at it. 

Then I'd either wait for your snails to get the rest, or yank it yourself. It may be something that's not very palatable to them, so they've gone with something else that they'd prefer to eat.

Hey @Suggsreef, great to see you in here! And I always love it when I get to do the official Welcome to Nano-Reef:

:welcome:

Once you do 10 posts you’ll be able to see stuff in the Makeshift Lounge, so make a few more posts and then come say hi in the Reef/Life/Chat thread I started there!! 🙂 The link is in my signature. 

18 hours ago, banasophia said:

Hey @Suggsreef, great to see you in here! And I always love it when I get to do the official Welcome to Nano-Reef:

:welcome:

Once you do 10 posts you’ll be able to see stuff in the Makeshift Lounge, so make a few more posts and then come say hi in the Reef/Life/Chat thread I started there!! 🙂 The link is in my signature. 

Definitely. I finally made my way over to see what all the rage was about. You kept telling me I had to check it out. 😁

• Like 1
On 10/27/2019 at 9:40 AM, Tired said:

Then I'd either wait for your snails to get the rest, or yank it yourself. It may be something that's not very palatable to them, so they've gone with something else that they'd prefer to eat.

I pulled it originally then it came back

• Like 2

That's what algae does, and why you need snails. Algae grows, your cleanup crew eats it, repeat. You're part of your cleanup crew, although you don't have to actually eat the algae.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Tired said:

That's what algae does, and why you need snails. Algae grows, your cleanup crew eats it, repeat. You're part of your cleanup crew, although you don't have to actually eat the algae.

True. Best snails for this algae ?

1 hour ago, Suggsreef said:

True. Best snails for this algae ?

Banded Trocus. You'll need to keep pulling the algae off as the snails only want to eat the fresh growth. So keep to nubbins length (1mm or less) and the snail should sort it.

1 hour ago, Suggsreef said:

I pulled it originally then it came back

If the frags are still on the rack I would pull them out and spot treat the algae with peroxide and a q tip. 

is the algae anywhere else or just on the plugs?

• Like 2
19 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

If the frags are still on the rack I would pull them out and spot treat the algae with peroxide and a q tip. 

is the algae anywhere else or just on the plugs?

Just on the plugs. What type of peroxide ? 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Banded Trocus. You'll need to keep pulling the algae off as the snails only want to eat the fresh growth. So keep to nubbins length (1mm or less) and the snail should sort it.

I’ll pick some up and try it out. See if they will mess with it at the length it’s at at all. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Suggsreef said:

Just on the plugs. What type of peroxide ? 

Just regular old peroxide.  

Take the plug out, tweeze off the algae, put peroxide on a q tip and then wipe the areas where the algae was growing......put the plug back into the tank and repeat if necessary in a few days. 🙂

• Like 2