Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Do you need to aclimate your corals?

burningmime

Temperature acclimation IS acclimation.

Many people just temp acclimate all their animals that have been shipped. Ammonia builds up in shipping bags, but due to something related to pH and lowering oxygen content (that I don't fully remember at the moment, you can look it up), is vastly decreased in toxicity. When you drip acclimate, you introduce oxygen, causing the ammonia to become toxic again. Shipped animals are often best temp acclimated only, to avoid that ammonia spike. If it's just something you've brought home from the LFS that's been in the bag half an hour, drip acclimation (or occasionally-baste-some-water-in acclimation) is a good idea. It's probably not 100% required, but will help reduce stress in that case.

• Like 3

I never do.. i bring em home..  dip em in coral rx rinse them and put em in my tank.. never lost a sps lps or leather doing that.

I dont aclimate fish either.. i fresh water dip em then toss em in qt

• Like 1
14 hours ago, burningmime said:

I just watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxvcY3nKLWM

Start at about 1:30 to skip the intro. Dude suggests basically not to drip aclimate corals at all, and just dip/temperature-aclimate. Do y'all agree or disagree with him?

I never drip fish or corals...

Corals need light acclimation not water.

I will only drip shrimp...starfish....etc

• Like 2

Drip acclimation has probably killed more fish than it has helped. Temp acclimate and ensure salinity matches the water the fish is in. The only time I do anymore than float for temp and add is if the store was running hyposalinity in their fish only setups. If you are ordering fish online ask the vendor what salinity their shipping water is and have your tank (qt or display-not debating whether to qt or not in this thread) at that salinity when they arrive.  

• Like 1

Click over to Sustainable Aquatics and check out their acclimation guide that in their "White Papers" section.  It explains the ammonia thing in detail.

Temperature is a factor in re-toxifying ammonia as well...

• Like 1