Cultivated Reef

? on refractometer

sadie

When I started my tank (2000), I purchased a refractormeter because everyone said the hydrometers were not accurate.  It cost me about $75.00 twenty years ago.  A few years ago I bought a new one for only $30. (figured my old was was getting tired, blurred lines and all). I questioned the fact that it only cost 30$, but figured it was like VCRs when they first came out and now you can buy them for $15.

Anyway.  I have been having a hard time getting my tank just right.  Keep blaming it on this and that (and actually there have been some issue with this and that).  I am having a problem with high KH, I switched salts.  I went from IO to RS blue bucket.  With both salts, when I mix the 1/2 cup salt to the gallon of water, it registers low on salinity, so I have to add more salt.  In the past, using the IO I have had to add as much as almost a 1/4 CUP MORE to get the 1.025 I keep my salinity at.

When I mixed up my first batch of RS salt, it also came out low- around 1.020 like the IO.  THIS time, I started questioning my refractometer. 

I know they aren't the best, but I bought a hydrometer (IO) today, to judge my refractometer against.  I calibrate my refractometer with calibration fluid every time I use it.  My tank (according to the refractometer was 1.025.  and this is what the hydrometer said (photo below)

WHICH ONE WOULD YOU BELIEVE?

salinity.JPG

GetPsyched2124

Looks like this is a case where the hydrometer is right and the refractometer is wrong. Since your levels are high, it would make sense that the salinity is higher than what the refractometer has been saying. Honestly, I've been putting off buying a new refractometer for the last year and just using a hydrometer with no isssues at all. before filling it, give it a few shakes to make sure the arm is nice and loose, fill it with the water. If there are some bubble attached to the bottom I just flick the hydrometer a few times so they come off. 

this would probably explain why my KH is so high.  

How do I go about lowering it?  I mean, how quickly can I lower it w/o causing problems for all my critters?

I used to use a refractometer but I kept getting very inaccurate reading even after calibrating. I think a big thing for me was the temps of the water were different each time and this caused my issue. I’ve since bought a Hanna salinity checker and it has worked out perfectly. It adjusts for temperature automatically and instantly can give you a readying with out having to wait until your salt is mixed. I basically pour in my salt, mix with my power head and hand to make sure the bottom of the mixing station doesn’t have any salt on the bottom and check immediately what my salinity is. That way I know to add more salt or water to get to my 1.026 reading I need. Then I wait for 30 minutes for my salt to mix and then be done with it. This is the one I use:

https://hannainst.com/marine-salinity-tester-hi98319.html

I was looking at that one today.  It is about the same price as a better looking version of what I have.  I have to wear reading glasses to read it, and sometimes looking through the eye piece is awkward.  The digital one would be much easier to read. 

6 minutes ago, sadie said:

I was looking at that one today.  It is about the same price as a better looking version of what I have.  I have to wear reading glasses to read it, and sometimes looking through the eye piece is awkward.  The digital one would be much easier to read. 

It definitely is easier to read. Probably one of the best things I’ve bought that I use a lot for my tank. Definitely saves time and I don’t need to worry that much if it read everything correctly. Even calibrating it is super easy with the included 35ppt test liquid they include to calibrate.

• Like 1

If you own a cheap refractometer, you need calibration fluid to calibrate it, preferably every time you use it. Also make sure it has temperature compensation. 

Have you calibrated it at all before use?

You still get what you pay for and there are some expensive brands over $100 refractometers that keep calibration much longer and are accurate.

This is what I use:

https://www.veegee.com/collections/analog-refractometers-1/products/handheld-salinity-refractometer

The hanna should be okay to use too, it requires hannas solution to calibrate and you want remove a cup of water to test, don't just dip it in your aquarium. It is a good idea to check it against a second tester every few months. These digital ones can drift too.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

If you own a cheap refractometer, you need calibration fluid to calibrate it, preferably every time you use it. Also make sure it has temperature compensation. 

You still get what you pay for and there are some expensive brands over $100 refractometers that keep calibration much longer and are accurate.

This is what I use:

https://www.veegee.com/collections/analog-refractometers-1/products/handheld-salinity-refractometer

The hanna should be okay to use too, it requires hannas solution to calibrate and you want remove a cup of water to test, don't just dip it in your aquarium. It is a good idea to check it against a second tester every few months. These digital ones can drift too.

yes, I do calibrate it every time I use it with the calibration fluid.  

6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

This is what I use:

this has really good reviews.

A quick google of that brand of refractometer (from petco?) shows others complaining about it on other forums, so sorry petco carries such POS products. 

Just now, Tamberav said:

A quick google of that brand of refractometer (from petco?) shows its basically garbage, so sorry petco carries such POS products. 

I don't have a smart phone so I can never google anything, but as soon as I picked it up and felt how light it was (compared to my old one) I should have known.  😞

Just now, Tamberav said:

Hope it works well for you as it has for me. I noticed there is a used one on there for $52. 

I'm not sure I would do used for something like this.  Never know how ppl treat things.  (my neice lets her kids do anything with stuff 😬)

I use one of the cheap $20 refractometers from Amazon and it has been perfect from day 1.  I calibrated it the first time and it has not needed any adjustment since then.

5 hours ago, sadie said:

I don't have a smart phone so I can never google anything, but as soon as I picked it up and felt how light it was (compared to my old one) I should have known.  😞

If you can get onto this forum, you can google things. You don't need a smartphone, you just need a computer. Just put "google.com" in the address bar at the top of the page, and that will take you to Google. 

3 minutes ago, Tired said:

If you can get onto this forum, you can google things. You don't need a smartphone, you just need a computer. Just put "google.com" in the address bar at the top of the page, and that will take you to Google. 

I mean, like when I'm out in a store I can't google it.  Some ppl can see an item, and look up the reviews BEFORE they buy it.  I can't.  When I get home I can.

What does it read when you calibrate it? If you have calibration fluid that's at 1.025, and you adjust your refractometer to say 1.025, it should reasonably be accurate for at least the area right around that range. 

1 hour ago, Tired said:

What does it read when you calibrate it? If you have calibration fluid that's at 1.025, and you adjust your refractometer to say 1.025, it should reasonably be accurate for at least the area right around that range. 

I think temperature has a lot to do with it. Maybe someone else can fill in with that info. That’s why I like the Hanna salinity checker. Takes the temperature out the equation and gives you accurate readings.

In that case, why not make sure your calibration fluid is reef tank temp? Stick it in a sealed ziploc bag without any air (to protect the label) and float it in the tank. That'll bring it up to temp well enough, and you can go about your other business then.

8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

If it isn't past the return time maybe you can return it. I generally save packaging and stuff for awhile in case I am unhappy with a purchase.

I bought it in 2015, otherwise I would

8 hours ago, Tired said:

The calibration fluid is at 1.026 so that's what I calibrate it to.  It does not take temp into consideration.  It does loose calibration quickly. I thought it was reasonably accurate, but it appears to not be.