Cultivated Reef

? on salt mix

sadie

I ordered RS blue bucket salt. (I was using IO).   I have read that  salt can settle and not mix properly over time.  I'm thinking that might be why my KH has been high lately.  So my question is how do you mix up the salt before mixing it in the water?  Could I just roll the bucket around a bit before mixing?

When I took delivery of the salt I am using I split it into an old salt bucket kindly given by my LFS, and did exactly that, rolled the buckets around to mix, then put all back into one bucket and split again, I only do this with brand new buckets of salt. 

• Like 1

I put my RS blue salt from the big bucket into a smaller one I have from a previous brand.

Every water change I stir the sand before use.

Get my buckets, add heater/pump, add salt stirring with a spatula, 30 mins later it's ready.

I often only store the little but left over.

Alk normally mixes at 8.2- 8.6.

Just now, Clown79 said:

I put my RS blue salt from the big bucket into a smaller one I have from a previous brand.

Every water change I stir the sand before use.

Get my buckets, add heater/pump, add salt stirring with a spatula, 30 mins later it's ready.

I often only store the little but left over.

Alk normally mixes at 8.2- 8.6.

how much salt do you add per gal?  I just got my salt and it say grams to liters, it's kinda weird.  I was thinking of mixing it for the ULNS.

29 minutes ago, sadie said:

how much salt do you add per gal?  I just got my salt and it say grams to liters, it's kinda weird.  I was thinking of mixing it for the ULNS.

I just add it and check salinity. Possibly half cup to 1 gallon.

Just now, Clown79 said:

I just add it and check salinity. Possibly half cup to 1 gallon.

okay, I was just thinking that, that all I had to do was match salinity.  thanks