Top Shelf Aquatics

Newbie with 10 gallon pico

mantisfan101

My dad has 3 sw tanks(55 reef, 40 and 29 fowlr) and he suggested that I setup a small desktop 10-gallon nano tank. I was initially going to get a pair of clowns but I realzied that that's probably a very horrible idea so I'm leaning moreso towards gobies, smaller blennies, and dwarf wrasses along with a couple shrimp. I also plan on making it a reef tank, and the corals I have in mind are green star polyps, duncans, xenia, toadstools/leathers, trumpets, and maybe some zoas(mostly worried about any poisoning). Would I need a protein skimmer? I plan on doing weekly water changes and have a couple spare tetra whisper 20-40 gallon filters lying around. Also, what's a good but also not-too-expensive light that I can use for my corals?Are there any good nano fish that I could get? Any easy beginner coral suggestions? Any tips in general are welcome!

Welcome to Nano-Reef!

A skimmer is optional. Usually a media basket with filter floss and weekly water changes does the trick. You may also want activated carbon for water clarity and to remove any toxins the toadstool/leathers might release. Some people also use granular ferric oxide/chemiclear/purigen for nutrient control. 

For lights here are a few popular choices on the cheap end. 

Par38  w/ hood          $50

Hipargero                   $60

Kessil a80 w/ mount $150

As for fish you could probably have a single clownfish in that tank. I would recommend a shrimp goby pair, very interesting to watch. Your coral list looks pretty good. I would maybe add acan/lords they come in many colors. 

Welcome

Skimmers are a must on nano's depending on the system and maintenance done on it. if you should need one, it can be added later.

Some have kept 2 clowns successfully in a 10g but that would be the limit for fish.

Bicolor and tailspot blennies are cool(not kept together) 1 of either with a watchman goby would be fine

A clown with either above mentioned blennies would be another idea. My clown and bicolor are best friends

A filter(larger the better) with a good carbon and filter floss is helpful

Lights in a decent budget

Par38 

https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Aquarium-Light-White-PAR38/dp/B073V64KC9/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?keywords=abi+tuna+blue+23w&qid=1571791718&sprefix=abi+tuna&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A2TWRNEH2276JE&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzR1pNVEtWQU84QkZUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzU5MTEwMUYzOVNaMjI1OUVaSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzYzMzQyMUdVOU5CMkxQT0hCNiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Mars aqua (this can be dimmed/controlled and if you upgrade to a bigger tank, this will work)

https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dimmable-165W-LED-Aquarium/dp/B017GWDF7E/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=viparspectra+165w+reef+led&qid=1571791626&sprefix=viparspectra+1&sr=8-4

Current orbit marine

AI prime

Kessil a80