Innovative Marine Aquariums

Keeping SPS in a barebones NANO?

Bells>Waimea

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Cheap gear is what it is, eh?  Knock on wood, my 4-head Jebao has been reliable.  I will say that there was a time when one of the heads was slipping on mine, but it worked itself out.

Calibration on it is simple....two buttons, then you run out 100mL into a measuring container, and it's set.

To me the "worst part" of the Jebao is the programming interface.  It works, but it is not logical, not very easy to change and impossible to "see" the current setup without millions of button clicks.  None of that matters day to day while it runs and runs on its own thankfully!!   I definitely like it a lot better than ME dosing manually every day.  Did that for about 7 years.....that was plenty!  LOL

Ya I had 2 wavemakers and both went to crap within months. 

Totally unreliable and luckily i had other water movement or i would have lost a lot.

• Wow 1
6 hours ago, William said:

An ATO is prob the most important thing, followed by RODI unit. For your size tank, you could probably dose Tropic Marin All for Reed on a Kamper X1 dower and have a good setup for a low price.

Kamoer 

I tried all for reef and just couldn't dail it in. It resulted in a large alk spike and I lost my sps.

After the fact tropic Marin contacted me and said you need to wait up to a few days for the first dose to stabilize and give you an actual result. That would have bee nice to know.

I said screw it and just picked up a second x1 and went with bionic. 

8 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

I tried all for reef and just couldn't dail it in. It resulted in a large alk spike and I lost my sps.

After the fact tropic Marin contacted me and said you need to wait up to a few days for the first dose to stabilize and give you an actual result. That would have bee nice to know.

Yea, because the active ingredients (calcium fumarate) has to be converted to ALK, you can get an Alk spike 

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Ya I had 2 wavemakers and both went to crap within months. 

Totally unreliable and luckily i had other water movement or i would have lost a lot.

Yikes.   

I remember folks replacing (expensive) critical parts left and right on another popular pump...maybe still happening to this day.  Somehow their reputation survived and they're more popular than ever. 

So it seems for Jebao too.  🙄

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Definitely an interesting product, but that sucks the way it turned out for you.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, William said:

Yea, because the active ingredients (calcium fumarate) has to be converted to ALK, you can get an Alk spike 

Yea, unfortunately I figured 24 hours would have been enough time between dosing and testing. It was not. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Yea, unfortunately I figured 24 hours would have been enough time between dosing and testing. It was not. 

I got burned by it when I increased from 15-20ml/day but not i only adjust it 1ml at a time 

• Like 1

Seems like they may have updated the instructions for this product.  👍

It says to make changes weekly now and even mentions a calculator they have to make figuring out the dosing quantity easier:

From: https://www.tropic-marin.com/minerals/all-for-reef/?lang=en#

(emphasis mine)

How to use:

Start with a daily dose of 5 ml of ALL-FOR-REEF per 100 litres (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume. Increase the daily dosage – by continuous control of the alkalinity – weekly by 2.5 ml per 100 litres (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume, until a constant carbonate hardness of 7 to 9 °dH is reached.

[....]

Use the new dosing calculator for an easy determination of the required amount of dosage for your aquarium.